Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2018, 04:53 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,542,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaneuf View Post
They say that the coyotes of northern New England are coyote-wolf hybrids, which explains their large size and makes them a bit more dangerous.
Some, not all. I live in the woods in northeastern Maine. Most of our coyotes are average size. Now and then there will be one of hybrid size but not often.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
At this time of year, I'm more concerned about the bears than the coyotes. This is the time when bears emerge from hibernation, hungry and often with cubs to protect.
Make a lot of noise. If you're concerned about them near the house, hit the panic button on your vehicle's key fob.

Living deep in the woods with bear, coyote and bobcat on our property, it's the skunks that make me take a second look before going out the door. The predators will run. Skunks leave a long-lasting impression.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2018, 04:59 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Here is another hint, if you don't want predators hanging around your door, don't feed the birds, don't throw bread out for the birds, don't feed the deer....and above all, don't compost your garbage, b/c all of that draws predators....

Animals will go where it's easy to obtain food, they learn quickly to associate people with food....so...

I will never ever forget this, and Fisheye may remember this...

Where I lived in the Poconos, people moved in from all over the cities...one woman thought it was wonderful to feed a bear...so guess what she does....while her toddler was sitting on the floor, she's open her patio door, placing food on the floor so the bear would walk in and take the food?

At the time, our local bear guy had to go in and kill the bear...why? Because that woman made that bear a danger to everyone.

You may think it's cute to feed wild animals, especially deer, but come hunting season, those same deer get used to man, and get shot quicker....

I once worked with a guy, who said they found a baby deer. Well, the mama leaves the baby laying in a spot while she goes off to feed. then comes back for the baby. So, if you see a baby deer, leave it alone.

so, they raised this baby deer, and the poor thing would walk right up to people. Come hunting season, he fit the deer with an orange vest so no one would shoot it....guess what, someone shot it any way.

No you can blame the hunter, but the real villan here was the family that raised the deer. Common sense.

Old 04-06-2018, 04:30 PM

19,767 posts, read 22,666,896 times
Had a nice parralell walk with a bobcat a few weeks ago. And a bull elk.
Attached Thumbnails
Ever Encounter a Coyote or Other Wild Animal? WWYD About Future Walking?-c4fc3b8a-a754-4e41-a1c4-d8893c7e17db.jpeg  

Old 04-06-2018, 09:19 PM

3,961 posts, read 4,390,777 times
WWID? depends on which one I ran into and the context of the encounter as there is no one size fits all reaction.

Old 04-06-2018, 10:11 PM

35,070 posts, read 17,014,369 times
I ran into a ferocious Golden Retriever yesterday. Did not know what to do.

Old 04-30-2019, 04:29 PM

12,774 posts, read 14,983,025 times
OP back!

I walked that college campus once I think since the encounter, but no coyote that time. I had my walking stick that I had bought. I've seen no other coyotes anywhere else either.

HOWEVER, I finally got a coyote sighting alert not too far from where I live.

Old 04-30-2019, 04:36 PM

3,372 posts, read 1,566,260 times
Encountered a coyote late one night taking out the trash. Put the trashcan down, turned around, and it was about 15-20 feet away from me in the road. Stared at it for a few seconds, it stared back, and then I started walking toward it and it immediately ran off. I wasn't going to turn my back on it just in case.....

Old 04-30-2019, 06:54 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,235,515 times
Deer, antelope, wild turkey, rattler.... But the "funniest" was a skunk.

I used to walk 50-70 miles per week, usually on specific routes around town that I'd measured to be 5, 7.5 and 10 miles in length, and almost always at night. Most of it was on sidewalks, but there was one stretch, about 2 blocks long, that was just an expanded animal trail through tall native grass, no lighting other than from the moon. That's where I met the skunk -- dark night, tall grass, right at my feet.

The thing is, shortly before that I'd had surgery for a large brain tumor which involved a craniotomy that, unfortunately, left me with no sense of smell. Zero. So here I am, 3-4 miles from home, and I don't know if I've been sprayed or not. I know that when I get home my wife will already be in bed, and I know my dog will be ON the bed. I just don't know if either of them will allow me to enter the bedroom!

Turns out I wasn't sprayed, but I was doing a lot of wondering before I got home.

If this wasn't a thread about TOWN meetings I'd tell my story about meeting a grizzly on a narrow trail.

Old 04-30-2019, 07:29 PM

18,160 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
Deer, antelope, wild turkey, rattler.... But the "funniest" was a skunk.

I used to walk 50-70 miles per week, usually on specific routes around town that I'd measured to be 5, 7.5 and 10 miles in length, and almost always at night. Most of it was on sidewalks, but there was one stretch, about 2 blocks long, that was just an expanded animal trail through tall native grass, no lighting other than from the moon. That's where I met the skunk -- dark night, tall grass, right at my feet.

The thing is, shortly before that I'd had surgery for a large brain tumor which involved a craniotomy that, unfortunately, left me with no sense of smell. Zero. So here I am, 3-4 miles from home, and I don't know if I've been sprayed or not. I know that when I get home my wife will already be in bed, and I know my dog will be ON the bed. I just don't know if either of them will allow me to enter the bedroom!

Turns out I wasn't sprayed, but I was doing a lot of wondering before I got home.

If this wasn't a thread about TOWN meetings I'd tell my story about meeting a grizzly on a narrow trail.

A badger was probably my funniest encounter cuz I did a 10 second quarter mile backing up. Because he wasn't backing up. Not one bit. Badgers are kinda....funny that way. Giving ground to any living thing is against their religion. And a full grown badger is not really a small animal. Teeth and claws from nose to tail.

Old 04-30-2019, 08:04 PM

16,086 posts, read 10,747,693 times
I cut my morning run short one day when I came across two mating badgers on the side of the road. They were not happy to be disturbed and were getting aggressive. Gees— get a motel room... nobody would dare stop them. I didn’t even know we had them in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature