Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2018, 11:44 PM

17,344 posts, read 11,285,635 times

Advertisements

I can't remember where I read it, but most dog food recalls for salmonella happen because people can become very sick from handling the dog food. The dogs actually have no problem eating it and not getting sick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2018, 12:29 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Dogs can become severely ill from eating nasty things. That said dogs evolved to have a much higher tolerance to eating things like bacteria infected meat. They are opportune feeders and evolved a stronger digestive system than humans have with stronger stomach acid to tolerate food that people can't including animals that have been dead for a while.
The best example of this are vultures. They can eat any meat no matter how rotten it is. They also have the strongest stomach acid in the animal world.
Canine stomach pH, a measure of acidity, is actually higher than human. The lower the pH, the more acidic it is.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3701609

Vultures and humans are about the same:

https://animals.howstuffworks.com/bi...ure-vomit1.htm

Scientists will study anything. That includes bacteria on and inside vultures.

https://www.livescience.com/48899-vu...icrobiome.html

It appears that rather than simple stomach acidity, the GI tract of the vulture has adapted to tolerate some really nasty bacteria. That suggests to me that the immune system is involved.

Old 10-27-2018, 01:59 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I've seen dogs eat some gnarly things and they don't seem to suffer for it. Why?
Been feeding my dogs a raw diet for 8 years. They have enzymes in their saliva that kill bacteria, and they have a much shorter digestive tract than humans. Because of that, nothing is hanging out around in there, like it does with humans. Their digestive system also has high levels of hydrochloric acid which means the bacteria aren't going to survive long enough to make them sick. From start to finish, it takes about 8 hours to fully digest what they ate, compared to humans who take anywhere from 24-72 hours. That's a long time for bacteria to set up camp and wreak havoc on your system.

As for the salmon, PNW salmon has to be frozen for some time before a dog can eat it raw. That salmon can be from northern CA all the way up to Alaska. At no time should anyone ever feed their dog raw PNW salmon unless it has been frozen for at least a week, preferably more, to kill the parasite that can be found in the salmon.

Old 10-27-2018, 06:10 AM

7,261 posts, read 5,139,849 times
A few points to consider:

To avoid picking up a food borne illness, you have to kill (almost) all the invaders. June 6th D-Day wouldn't have been successful if we had only sent one raft with 6 guys in it to Omaha Beach.

Our stomach acid is so strong we can't replicate it in the lab with conventional techniques. But some bacteria have evolved to resist it.

Rotten meat doesn't always have pathogenic bacteria in it. Not all bacteria cause disease.

Our human ancestors evolved doing a lot of scavenging. Their immune systems were just as tough as a wolf's, but Civilized Man feeds his offspring sterilized milk, baby foods, etc etc-- we don't get exposed as early, as much or as often as our ancestors (unless you eat in restaurants a lot) or as our dogs. They develop immunity (if they don't die from the first exposure).

We could be more cavalier about exposing ourselves to dirty food and develop strong immune systems too, but risk contacting an overwhelming exposure in the process.

Saliva contains "secretory immunoglobulins," and dogs' have even more than us. That's why they (and us) like to "lick our wounds." It helps. But dog saliva often contains a Pasteurella sp that's pathogenic to us.

Old 11-22-2018, 11:37 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,174,886 times
Dogs DO get salmonella. And many other bacterial digestive diseases.

https://www.merckvetmanual.com/dog-o...system-of-dogs

OP, Google is your friend. If you can post these questions on threads on C-D, you can find the answers from reliable sources online instead of getting answers from people who don't always know what they're talking about.

Old 11-29-2018, 12:38 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times
Quote:
I've seen dogs eat some gnarly things and they don't seem to suffer for it. Why?
Higher body temperature limits Salmonella.

Old 11-29-2018, 01:41 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,433,645 times
Dogs do get sick from Salmonella and other food borne illnesses. A healthy dog may not get sick, but age and illness can make a dog susceptible to food borne illnesses.

Old 11-29-2018, 04:24 PM

24,636 posts, read 9,464,279 times
Quote:
Many American dogs are vaccinated against canine diseases.

But word of advice, don't go to Thailand. You'll see all kinds abadone/neglected dogs with every sickness in the book who were never given such vaccinations or veternarian care.

Last edited by Rocko20; 11-29-2018 at 04:34 PM..

Old 11-29-2018, 05:10 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
My vet just cautioned me on the raw meat I feed my dogs due to pathogens, but I freeze the meat for over 3 weeks which greatly reduces them.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature