Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2020, 10:04 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times

Advertisements

British Columbia. Oh, wait—state, not province...never mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2020, 11:19 PM

4,208 posts, read 4,458,844 times
Well, for variety of ecosystems and diversity of natural wonders I'd say California. The ability to go from Coasts of beaches / rugged rocks / coastal Redwood forests to desert and mountains and most everything in between is unusual in a relatively small area. Personally, I have always felt more at home in mountains states and Southwest USA.

Some stick in my mind because of the fortuitous timing of when I was there and what I experienced. I found Flaming Gorge in Utah/Wyoming in late August nearing sunset and as I pulled off the side of the road and observed it from one of the lookout points and it was stunning. Also the Gates of the Mountain area in Montana and driving Lolo pass area through the Northern Rockies.

The Finger Lakes region of New York (Letchworth State Park) in autumn as well as Vermont / New Hampshire/ Maine. Experiencing the rural parts of Mississippi driving the Natchez Trace Parkway during a late June thunderstorm. We are blessed to have so much variety in the USA. It's sort of like having a harem of beautiful women that are all natural.

Old 04-18-2020, 11:22 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,383,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seamonkey View Post
Which state has the most overall natural beauty? I feel like Washington state but would like to here other opinions.
Arizona,New Mexico,Colorado and California for me.

Old 04-19-2020, 12:24 AM

2,919 posts, read 2,581,733 times
Default All states have some beauty

Quote:
Which state has the most overall natural beauty? I feel like Washington state but would like to here other opinions.
It's been so long since I've been to the PNW that I can't remember what it looks like anymore. All states have some beauty about them but I'll have to go with places that I've spent time in more recently that are at the top. Well, before I mention them, can I add two honorable mentions: CA (majority of it) and Colorado (the western half of the state):

1. Alaska
2. Pennsylvania
3. West Virginia (surprisingly naturally beautiful)

Old 04-19-2020, 12:35 AM

Default Same here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Tough question.
I've been to 49 states. Worked in a lot of them, just explored some, and lived in 6 or 8.
Most beautiful? ....... That's like asking me to judge a Miss America pageant. I love them all.

If I had to pick an area - the Southwest. New Mexico, Arizona to Nevada. There is something about the desert. And Grand Canyon. And Meteor Crater. But that Nevada desert.... my, my.
I was a trucker. And I could never understand why people were inside their houses in New Mexico. I wanted to bang on their doors and yell, "Look! Can you believe this? Why are you still inside?"
I traveled the US in my sales career. It ended before I was ready so I drove a truck 750,000 miles.
Yeah. It's beautiful.
Same here, I've been to 49 states. The missing piece is Hawaii. It's on my list.
All states have some beautiful element to them; even the plain-Jane states like Iowa (beautiful rolling hills) and North Dakota (wide open spaces/ plains as far as the eye can see).

Last edited by Klassyhk; 04-19-2020 at 12:48 AM..

Old 04-19-2020, 12:45 AM

Default Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I think Michigan is underrated by a lot of people. It has many kinds of beaches (not just sand), beautiful dunes, marshes, stunning paperbark birch forest, dramatic fall foliage and amazing winter vistas.
This is true. But it's more so the UP (Upper Peninsula for those unfamiliar with MI) or close to it which most people don't travel that far north so they don't see it. I been to the UP once a very long time ago. Lived in MI more recently and the furthest north I got was Grand Rapids (hilly, pretty area but not nearly close enough to the UP), Lansing (not pretty and central), and Saginaw (other side of the state, not far north enough and not pretty).

Old 04-19-2020, 02:54 AM

1,161 posts, read 1,859,623 times
Quote:
Agreed - Washington State has such a variety of climate zones and topography - and since it's one of the "smaller" Western states, it's easier to get to those zones.

Old 04-19-2020, 07:16 AM

3,499 posts, read 2,664,329 times
I’ve been to every state but Alaska and can’t only name one. I love California, Hawaii, Utah, Oregon, Washington, and Montana.

Old 04-19-2020, 07:52 AM

35 posts, read 20,433 times
I have not been to Alaska (yet), but I have been to the other 49 and lived in several.

For sheer range of beauty, from below sea level desert to the highest point in the continental United States, I am going to have to go with California.

Second would be Oregon. Third would be right here in Colorado. Fourth would be Pennsylvania (for the trees).

The best sunrises and sunsets are in New Mexico.

Old 04-19-2020, 08:21 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,097,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
not 'effective or any other type of sarcasm'.
Well, in that case, Manhattan is neither naturally beautiful, nor is it a state...

It's not even a city...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature