Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 10:23 AM

6,421 posts, read 7,661,659 times

Advertisements

Hi All and PJ,

We have a pair of nesting doves under our patio roof which are a real joy to watch, until....

The last two times they had a brood something got the eggs. Again, this morning the parents were gone leaving a broken egg with tiny feathers scattered in the nest. Since we live in a condo we are limited to what can do but I did put some dead rose bush branches with plenty of nasty thorns on and around were they left their oily marks probably on the downspout at the front of the roof support post. We have a neighbor who leaves cat food out all the time which seems to be attracting opossum. I have tried to talk to her several times about the disease they carry which is another reason we don't want them on our patio. I examined the area where the rose thorns are but found it was not disturbed and no evidence of animal hair this morning.

In this area the crows and hawks have chased off most of our song bird population so we have tried to protect the doves as much as possible.

Doe anyone have suggestions for keeping the predators away from the nest? Apparently, when we blocked the downspout, it may have found a way to come down to the nest from the roof. Is that possible? I don't know whether the doves will return again this season but if they do, we want them to survive.

[IMG]aolemb://5A243101-941D-48A6-86C0-08C7E6447014/DSC00339.JPG[/IMG]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2013, 10:21 PM

44,348 posts, read 20,047,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
Hi All and PJ,

We have a pair of nesting doves under our patio roof which are a real joy to watch, until....

The last two times they had a brood something got the eggs. Again, this morning the parents were gone leaving a broken egg with tiny feathers scattered in the nest. Since we live in a condo we are limited to what can do but I did put some dead rose bush branches with plenty of nasty thorns on and around were they left their oily marks probably on the downspout at the front of the roof support post. We have a neighbor who leaves cat food out all the time which seems to be attracting opossum. I have tried to talk to her several times about the disease they carry which is another reason we don't want them on our patio. I examined the area where the rose thorns are but found it was not disturbed and no evidence of animal hair this morning.

In this area the crows and hawks have chased off most of our song bird population so we have tried to protect the doves as much as possible.

Doe anyone have suggestions for keeping the predators away from the nest? Apparently, when we blocked the downspout, it may have found a way to come down to the nest from the roof. Is that possible? I don't know whether the doves will return again this season but if they do, we want them to survive.
Oh, that's so sad, to see birds lose their broods like that. Sounds to me as though other birds are the ones raiding the nest. I don't know of anything you could do to keep the scavenging birds away that would not keep the doves away as well.

I hope someone else will have a good idea for you, Heidi.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 08-17-2013, 11:15 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Feed the predators, they have to eat too. Mourning doves are not an endangered species, there will be plenty of them next year.

Old 08-17-2013, 11:17 PM

50,241 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Crows are a scourge, they eat every egg or song bird they can. I doubt you'll like my suggestion but we got our crows to stay away with an airsoft gun.

Old 08-18-2013, 12:02 AM

6,421 posts, read 7,661,659 times
What ever eats the eggs does it only at night. We didn't think the predator could climb up the adobe post which supports the down spout but after looking around more I'm not so sure because of some marks on the adobe. My neighbor leaves out cat food which attracks all sorts of unwelcome disease carrying predators.

My tomatoes will get "v" shaped bite marks on them if I don't get them picked early - not that we have that many of them this year. Also, one afternoon an opossum walked on to our patio and acting odd so we got it to leave by spraying it with our garden hose.

Our nearby trees are just full of crows at times. I'm not sure what the local regulations are regarding an airsoft gun (don't think I can use them on the squirrels either). Since I live in a large condo complex, we have lots of neighbor who might not appreciate the airsoft gun and would make trouble for using it.

I know they are just birds but we have lost so many song birds in this area that it is really sad.

Thanks for your responses.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:47 AM

1,174 posts, read 2,512,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
What ever eats the eggs does it only at night. We didn't think the predator could climb up the adobe post which supports the down spout but after looking around more I'm not so sure because of some marks on the adobe. My neighbor leaves out cat food which attracks all sorts of unwelcome disease carrying predators.

My tomatoes will get "v" shaped bite marks on them if I don't get them picked early - not that we have that many of them this year. Also, one afternoon an opossum walked on to our patio and acting odd so we got it to leave by spraying it with our garden hose.

Our nearby trees are just full of crows at times. I'm not sure what the local regulations are regarding an airsoft gun (don't think I can use them on the squirrels either). Since I live in a large condo complex, we have lots of neighbor who might not appreciate the airsoft gun and would make trouble for using it.

I know they are just birds but we have lost so many song birds in this area that it is really sad.

Thanks for your responses.
Rats, possums, raccoons, owls, even sparrows, snakes, etc. etc.

There are lots of egg eaters out there. Mourning dove don't seem to be very good at selecting secure nesting sites. Their strategy seems to be "lay and pray - and do it often". You could try to put a hanging planter basket with some peat moss arranged in a bowl shape up there; it may give them a little more obscurity - but there's nothing you can do if they choose to lay eggs in a completely obvious crotch of a tree five feet away that's wide open to wind, rain, sun and rats instead

Old 08-05-2015, 10:40 AM

1 posts, read 9,257 times
I am on my 6th set of mourning doves nesting babies. I came back from a vacation to find the doves gone and the babies fully feathered all dead next to each other in the nest. I had seen black birds/crows flying around before I left. The babies were in tack, but dead. So sad.

I moved a new hanging planter (used before by doves) closer to the wall in a corner hoping to protect them on my balcony. I had previously put a smaller hanging planter by my window with a plant only to find the doves chose this for their new nest. Now I'm wondering if it would help to put a full greenery hanging plant on the edge of the ceiling of the balcony in front of the dove's nesting place? If this would help hide their vulnerability from these large black birds. The trees out front haven't been trimmed this year and while they give wonderful privacy and quiet to us, they also attract many predators. Any ideas?

Old 06-19-2018, 04:28 PM

2 posts, read 13,872 times
crows are very smart! They will find a way. This pair of doves laid one egg, last month and as soon as it was laid, something rolled it off the nest and onto the ground, I put it back in the nest but soon it was gone completely, no remains. So I think it was a rat. Last week, they came back, and yesterday I noticed two eggs.
Just a few minutes ago, I heard a terrible sound and the doves were attacking a crow on the fence right next to the nest. I shouted at the crow because the doves flew away but the crow stayed. When I shouted at the crow to go away, it flew to a place where it could continue to watch me. The doves attacked the crow when it attempted to fly near, and I went out and sat on the patio but stayed clear of the nest. I hear baby birds, but could be across the street in a juniper tree, that is where I watched the crow trying to get at something. I really love nature and all creatures, but the crows outnumber people here, they are noisy, and they attack live tiny baby rabbits right in front of me. I just don't like them! The crows, rats, raccoons, and owls have to eat, but please leave my doves alone. This is their second attempt !!! I want to get my pellet gun.

Old 06-19-2018, 04:53 PM

2 posts, read 13,872 times
The doves two eggs are still there, the crow has not returned, but now there is a hawk circling.
The circle of life! The doves have not returned yet. I am on the alert. LOL

Old 05-07-2020, 02:41 PM

1 posts, read 4,570 times
I had 1 set of mourning doves that nested 2 eggs on a building in my carport. Only 1 survived tho. It fell out once & I put it back in the nest. They continued to nest it. I found it on the floor again & tried to help it but it flew into the trees. I don’t think it was old enough to do that. I know they do more broods in a season. My question is will they be back after losing this baby?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature