Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2022, 10:47 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,705,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
YES! I kept wondering why the crows where I moved to sound like they are saying "uh-oh" instead of regular crowing. They are fish crows. Slightly smaller than the American Crow.

I love both crows and ravens. Old traditions in several cultures see them as messengers that travel between our world and the "other".

I feed the ones where I am currently staying in Ontario chicken wieners. They love them. The same family has been coming back each Spring for three or four years now. They take up their spot in a neighbor's birch tree and caw to us.
That messaging is said of vultures. The old myth about crows and ravens is that they portend human death.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2022, 10:50 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,705,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Really? The only ravens I've ever seen have been in Spokane or the Canadian rockies, and in both cases the birds were quite big.
Yes, really. I’ve been to those places as well as many other raven areas. There is more than one kind of raven also.

Old 04-27-2022, 03:00 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Crows are super intelligent, and I assume ravens must be also. Crows can actually identify human faces and tell one human from another. If you feed them, they learn to recognize you. I had a neighbor once that had trained a neighborhood crow to come when she called his name, and to sit on her hand and shoulder.
I would love to get to that point! And yes, I do believe they recognize us.

Old 04-27-2022, 03:02 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Yup. All through there and through British Columbia, Yukon, North West Territories and Alaska, and on the Pacific coastline and the islands, the ravens can get really huge. Much bigger than the Ravens further south on the continent, some can get almost as big as bald eagles and they have deeper, more raucous voices too with a vast range of sounds.

I love that dripping water in an echoing barrel sound they make that Parnassia mentioned. There is no mistaking that sound for anything but a raven.

Wow, I've never seen any that big. Most of those I've seen have been in Ontario, and while they are larger than crows, they are smaller than red-tailed hawks. A very distinctive voice.

Old 04-27-2022, 06:11 PM

23,309 posts, read 18,852,325 times
Quote:
When I lived in this one house in Seattle years ago, there was this one crow who had a thing against me. I don't know why it didn't like me, but at some point it dive-bombed me a couple times, after which point I threw a stick at it. I might have done that a couple times (don't worry I never hit the bird). For like, 2 or 3 years afterwards, whenever I went out of my house to walk to the supermarket when that particular bird was around, it would follow me for several blocks, dive-bombing me. Got really annoying. And I don't think it did that to any of my roommates, just me.
Memory skills go hand in hand with higher intelligence. Memory is essential for learning. By throwing a "weapon" at that particular crow, you demonstrated that you presented more of an active threat than some other humans it saw routinely. Not only would the bird recognize you every time it saw you, it would also remember what you did.

Old 04-27-2022, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Yes, really. I’ve been to those places as well as many other raven areas. There is more than one kind of raven also.
You think the ravens in CA and AK are big...take a look at the white-naped raven of Africa! They're the biggest with a beak to match!

Old 05-05-2022, 02:36 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,758,329 times
Have you guys seen this video? The birds are in the supermarket parking lot. The girl filming is really freaking out..

https://youtu.be/NvOru4oaJ80

Old 05-05-2022, 02:42 PM

20,871 posts, read 9,541,930 times
Those are grackles, not crows.

Still, it's like an Alfred Hitchcock movie.

Old 05-06-2022, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Those are grackles, not crows.

Still, it's like an Alfred Hitchcock movie.
Yep, look like great-tailed grackles. Grackles aren't Corvids BTW, they're Icterids (blackbirds)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature