Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2022, 06:40 PM

5,714 posts, read 4,291,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw222 View Post
What’s the solution? By some definition putting up solar panels or wind mills are messing with nature> should we just outlaw power and burn wood to keep warm or just let those too far north to freeze and die?

Stop growing and accept limits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2022, 07:14 PM

579 posts, read 304,337 times
Does your limit prevent exploring how many other planets exist supporting life as we know it and learning more about mars etc?

Old 11-27-2022, 09:45 PM

Not necessarily.

Old 11-27-2022, 10:08 PM

35,073 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Stop growing and accept limits.
What limits do you wish to impose?

Old 11-28-2022, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
What limits do you wish to impose?

Hahaha, very funny. I don't impose limits, "nature" does.

Old 11-28-2022, 10:34 AM

17,314 posts, read 22,056,580 times
They paved paradise and put up a parking lot..............as the song goes!

Old 11-28-2022, 10:42 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,551,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw222 View Post
Does your limit prevent exploring how many other planets exist supporting life as we know it and learning more about mars etc?
That's a good question, John.

I started this thread to raise consciousness, but as usual it seems to have just become another dumping ground for naysayers and the close minded. Thankfully, though loud and intrusive, they are small in numbers.

I personally believe that humans have evolved to a point where we can recognize when we are doing harm, though many of us still excuse our behavior for some rationale or other. Perhaps as our consciousness rises we will recognize our potential to do harm and work to avoid it.

I find space exploration fascinating and wondrous. My first knee jerk response to your question was "no, not at all" then I recall learning that there are those that are eyeing space for waste dumping and mining precious metals.

Without knowing what life, at even a microscopic level, exists, we could be damaging a future opportunity for safe haven for our future generations. Say, for example we use Venus as a dumping ground for our waste, and then later discover that it has been forming a life chain that was building atmosphere that could've been habitable and our actions thwarted that possibility.

I hope that as our discoveries occur, we as a people will begin to understand that we need to enter some sort of global treaty that will provide a common understanding that we will use the discoveries first to understand what exists there, and develop parameters for protecting that environs natural development.

I know I will be naive, but I am not senseless to the depth of our failings. Thankfully, I also know that we are equally capable of great good.

Old 11-28-2022, 12:11 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,551,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
They paved paradise and put up a parking lot..............as the song goes!
Actually, this is true and our love of pavement (and the denuding of our foliage) has shown to be contributing to the warming of our atmosphere. I recently read in the local news that residents in a city south of Seattle were complaining because developers clear cut a large area of trees to put in the infrastructure of a new housing district -- streets and sidewalks. The residents claimed an immediate sense of it being hotter.

Without the population burden, we may have preserved those trees, but still here we are.

Old 11-28-2022, 12:51 PM

35,073 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Actually, this is true and our love of pavement (and the denuding of our foliage) has shown to be contributing to the warming of our atmosphere. I recently read in the local news that residents in a city south of Seattle were complaining because developers clear cut a large area of trees to put in the infrastructure of a new housing district -- streets and sidewalks. The residents claimed an immediate sense of it being hotter.

Without the population burden, we may have preserved those trees, but still here we are.
What alternative is there unless we go back to forest and cave dwelling? Clearly there is an expectation of retreating from a modern standard of living and returning to a primitive standard. The trouble is there are too many of us, even were the suggestion practical. Sure, those trees near Seattle (and a lot more trees) would be there if the area wasn't thickly settled.

As for "shaming" my prior post merely pointed out that the most caring among us freely discard facemasks everywhere.

Old 11-28-2022, 03:16 PM

8,079 posts, read 7,444,309 times
Where my farmhouse and barn now stand, 140 years ago was virgin forest. When I see a new house go up in my area, I cringe at the loss of more habitat. Yes, I know I'm being selfish, wanting to pull up the ladder after the woods were clear-cut for my house.

I suppose we all selfishly want nature to be preserved, except where we benefit. It's OK to drill for oil as long as it's used to manufacture EV's. Iron and copper mines are OK as long as they're used to build iPhones and flat screen TV's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature