Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2009, 03:22 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,602,856 times

Advertisements

The fossilized remains of a supervolcano that erupted some 280 million years ago in the Italian Alps are giving geologists a first-time glimpse at the deep "plumbing system" that brings molten rock from far underground to the Earth's surface.

James E. Quick of Southern Methodist University in Texas and his team discovered the "fossil," or extinct, supervolcano in the Alps' Sesia Valley two years ago, but they are just now reporting the results after careful study.

Plumbing of a Supervolcano Revealed - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20090927/sc_livescience/plumbingofasupervolcanorevealed - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 09:44 AM

3,109 posts, read 9,840,568 times
Add this site to your discussion.

Super Volcano Will Challenge Civilization, Geologists Warn | LiveScience

Old 09-28-2009, 08:55 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,718,851 times
I was hoping for a diagram.

Old 09-29-2009, 02:26 AM

2,255 posts, read 5,398,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
I was hoping for a diagram.
Me too, that would have been interesting. I believe that unlike many of the smaller volcanoes today, supervolcanoes have a more direct ancient access to the earth's mantel than most volcanoes now. Most people may thing that a volcano has a straight verticle pipe directly down to the mantel and it's mostly not true, Underneath there are many fractures and chambers, some magma moving horizontally then moving upwards again.

There is some research going on to study this hypothesis of many of these supervolcanic caldera and the still present thermal hot springs like those of Yellowstone and Pagosa Springs Colorado as still having a direct connection to the mantel even today. It is interesting and I think it also relates to the information which another poster brought to our attention about a month ago regarding all the water that appaently exists below the earth's crust inside the mantal itself. I think many of those supervolcano explosions were mostly a Hydrothermal explosion of water followed by molten lava which would have later plugged them up. Here's the link:
GIS Tech May Reveal Water Below Tectonic Plates | GPS World (http://www.gpsworld.com/gis/natural-resources/news/gis-tech-may-reveal-water-below-tectonic-plates-8765 - broken link)

nsf.gov - Office of Legislative and Public Affairs (OLPA) News - Scientists Create First Three-dimensional Global Map of Electrical Conductivity in Earth's Mantle - US National Science Foundation (NSF)

I'm interested in the study of Earth's ancient hydrological system which I believe was more of a minerotrophic one as evidenced by isotope studies and experiments on the effects on plants with such a water quality.

I'd elaborate, but a month ago I posted a link here and explained something I found exciting, but then sometime later the university who did the research and the researcher who published the material deleted it from off their website. Upon investigating why, I found out that some coward or cowards from this forum felt their worldview and philosophy was being threaten and contacted the university about my speculation. Hence it was taken off the webpages. They refused to tell me who it was, but it's of no consequence anyway since I had already archived everything. Hence I have'nt found any reason since to post anything new under the subject "Informational Water". I've got more than enough on my plate anyway. This venue is only pure entertainment at times anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature