Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 10:54 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,667,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
You might also want to add your remorse for the families of the 11 oil rig workers who lost their lives in this disaster.
I am totally sure it is the first thing on our minds........
Everyone here of course has remorse over lost lives.....
That was the forefront and most horrific part of the disaster.......
I didn't start this thread to diminish any persons life........
It was a title that discussed other issues with this tragedy......
All of us surely know that the first horrific happening was the lost of those dear ones. I listen to those sad stories each night and they are tearful.
If there isn't a thread dedicated to those eleven men, then there surely should be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 11:06 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,667,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammasCabin View Post
And if it weren't for CNN I think we'd know very little of what's going on down there. Fox can't seem to get off their sick political bandwagon even for an environmental disaster of unprecendented proportions.
YES, Fox did you hear this? I am someone who watches FOX all the time.
But, they are just not cutting it lately. We all needed a big break from the politics. Nothing is going on( politically) right now worth mentioning anyhow.
Fox needed to be in place just like CNN is.
On our southern shores, helping, reporting, watching.....letting us know.
This can ruin our shorelines for years and years.......Besides all the other issues we have mentioned.
This is one big mess, and not slowing down.
I never, ever, did believe BPs gallons/barrels per day statement.......
Sad to say that that is becoming a true intuition too.

Old 06-11-2010, 01:07 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times
Okay did everyone see the abc report when a reporter put his camera up it seems one of the workers on the beach closed the beach by order of bp ? who the blankity does bp think they are . banning reporters from the beach ? makes one wonder what else they are covering up . also I hope there is a tribute to those 11 men who lost their lives on that rig . God bless their familys and yes there are going to be alot of ppl hurt by this and maybe for yrs to come . I hope we are not still cleaning this stuff up in 30 yrs .

Old 06-11-2010, 02:33 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,140,968 times
If BP closed a beach then BP is 100% responsible for any cost that it incurs . If a person just drove 500 miles for his vacation and the motel he rented from says sorry the beaches are closed ,I would want my money back and all cost and BP should pay me what it cost me. Do you think this will happen? BP is going to run out of money and they are already planing for it.

Old 06-11-2010, 02:39 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,883,929 times
as it's Friday I thought some humor might be appropriate:

YouTube - BP Spills Coffee

Old 06-13-2010, 12:43 PM

2,318 posts, read 1,896,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
I don't think her intent was to diminish the loss of the workers, but there is much hardship yet to bear for those who continue to live and work on the Gulf Coast. Not that this makes up for the grief the families of those eleven workers are suffering, but I'm fairly certain that they either have or will receive ample settlements to meet their future financial needs. Even though BP is promising assistance, there is no guarantee that those who depend on a healthy Gulf Coast economy will receive any help at all. And, even if they do, it probably won't amount to much. The poster's sentiment is not misplaced.

Thanks, the workers were the first thing I thought of and I felt the pain of their loss .

I know we have to find alternative power but that will take a lot of time . Too many people are lying to the gullable who think we can just stop oil drilling and set up power , but this will take time .

As much blame goes to the green people[ which I'm one to a extent ] for not letting them drill on land until we can set up green power . If this were on land it would be 1000 times easier to contain .

Plus their are dozens of other nations drilling in the same area ,including Mexico Russia, Thailand, Venezwela , Indonesia and many more right off our coast .

You don't hear a peep about them .

Old 06-13-2010, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Yours is, though. An ample settlement doesn't add up to a husband/father/son/brother, livelihood threatened or not.

What is the real reason your on to me so much ? It's not the love of the families , it's something else I said you don't like, so lay off . Maybe your an illegal or a liberal , feminist ?

Whatever save it for that discussion, this is about oil spill .

Old 06-13-2010, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Of course not, and if you read my previous post, you'll see that I haven't implied it does. That said, money makes the world go 'round. The worker's families deserve to have their future financial needs met. It won't lessen their grief, but it will lessen their worries. The same cannot be said for those whose livelihoods exploded right along with the oil well. Stating that doesn't make me cold and callous if that's how you're trying to portray me.

Talking about money may be distasteful for some, but it's an important subject to address in the midst of this situation. It fills cupboards, it pays tuition, and it summons the doctor. These needs haven't evaporated because eleven men suffered a tragic and unnecessary death.

This could make the whiole state of florda a wasteland !

Some are saying it can even ruin the soil if storms bring the oil onto the landscape by rain pouring oil . The air can cause more storms because the oceans and gulf temp will change . It could seep into the ground water and the natural springs [ thanks in part to the Nestles 'owned by a foreign nation ' , CocaCola com.s pumping out millions of gallons a day to sell to other nations , much of the water runs out to sea through caves and rivers ! This was a conceren of saltification ,now we can add oil seeping in from low water levels .

Old 06-13-2010, 03:21 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,054,634 times
Heard from relatives who live in Florida that surface ocean temps are hovering around 80 degrees all the way to the Africa coast, and it's still very early in hurricane season. That is not a good sign of things to come.

Old 06-13-2010, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Heard from relatives who live in Florida that surface ocean temps are hovering around 80 degrees all the way to the Africa coast, and it's still very early in hurricane season. That is not a good sign of things to come.

It sure isn't ! They predict an active hurriane season as well . This means moe storms . Some even say the air may be polluted .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature