Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2009, 11:32 AM

20 posts, read 60,758 times

Advertisements

We may be moving to Lincoln, and (as I wrote in an earlier post), I am wondering if we should live b/w Lincoln and Omaha for the schools. I have two soon to be high school aged sons, and they have always attended a small all boys Catholic School. Can anyone tell me about Pius X in Lincoln? Their website is not very helpful. My sons are very academically motivated, and are also involved in music. Does Pius X have strong programs for gifted kids/musicians, or would the Lincoln public schools have more to offer? How does Pius X compare to the Catholic Schools in Omaha, especially Creighton Prep and Mount Michael? Thanks for any advice.

Amy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2009, 02:12 PM

43 posts, read 137,980 times
Pius seems to be an alright school... they seem to do well in sports in Class B... it is not an all boys school though if that is what you were looking for. Don't know too much about Pius, as I never went there. LPS has good schools though if you don't mind public schools. I was in the gifted/AP Programs from 6th grade on up. I also had a sister that participated in marching band in high school, and participated in various competitions and parades. Is there a certain area of Lincoln you would be looking to relocate to... as this may help with providing more details on the different schools in the area. Sorry I don't know too much about Pius... hopefully some one else on here will be able to provide more information for you.

Old 10-19-2009, 12:59 AM

300 posts, read 1,179,135 times
IMHO, and I never went there but I've lived in Lincoln my whole life (which is 23 years), Pius does NOT stack up when compared to Creighton Prep. I'm not sure about Mount Micheal though.
Creighton is one of the BEST high schools in Nebraska and Pius doesn't even come close. IMO, neither does OPS or LPS for that matter, but again I've never went Creighton or knew anyone, this is just hearsay.
That's all I know though... GOOD LUCK!

Old 10-20-2009, 05:55 PM

2 posts, read 9,398 times
Pius is an alright school, although the kids I knew that graduated from there and intended on going to college were generally lacking some of the general entrance requirements for UNL. Although I'm not trying to discount Pius' educational prowess they are a small school and at the time were not able to offer the same advanced classes that LPS could.

Hope this helps

Old 10-24-2009, 07:04 AM

15 posts, read 40,890 times
Pius is a decent school if you want to live in Lincoln. No specialized music stuff though that I am aware of.

Prep is a really good all boys school. If you have a choice of the three, that is what I recommend definitely. Lots more to do/see in Omaha anyway.

Mt. Michael used to be where they sent behavioral problem kids, etc. Don't know that it is still the case.

Old 08-16-2010, 05:40 PM

2 posts, read 6,026 times
During the 2007-2008 school year, Pius X High School was made a member of the Catholic Honor Roll, distinguishing the top 50 Catholic High Schools in the United States of America.

Perhaps do a little research or call Pius and ask to speak with someone who may be able to answer your questions. I now have two children going there and it is a fabulous school for academics and it far surpasses any of the public school AP classes. Ask about graduation rates and those going on to college and then again the percentage of Pius X kids who graduate from college.

There are great opportunities for sports, drama, music, band (there is no 'band geeks' syndrome here), and competitive speech. We have many, many athletes who receive athletic scholarships to division 1 and 2 schools as well as many,many academic scholarships.

It is a more laid back social school community. Kids are not judge as to the labels on their clothing, as my experiences were in Omaha. Kids are accepted for who they are. A 4.0 is not at all unusual at Pius X and that is not because the curriculum is weak but because kids are expected to learn and excel here. There is a higher level of expectation for students than I have seen in other school communities. Faith is also very important and it is not unusual to see Pius X kids out at restaurants stopping to say grace before their meal nor is it unusual to see the students out serving in the community.

I graduated from Marian High School in Omaha and am very familiar with Prep and Mt. Michael. They are also very good schools but I like the atmosphere of acceptance of all students here more.

[url]http://high-schools.com/report/ne/private-school-enrollment-rank-in-nebraska.html[/url]

Old 08-16-2010, 05:48 PM

2 posts, read 6,026 times
Many kids are sent to Mt. Michael NOT for behavioral problems...that is Boys Town!...but because the school is a 'boarding school' and many of these families have sons considering the priesthood as a vocation. It is a strong faith based community that also offers a great education for young men no matter what vocation they choose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska