Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 07:36 PM

1 posts, read 9,337 times

Advertisements

Most outfitters now put people into the river at Berry bridge where they can float and drink on the river, the only exception is at Smith Falls State Park where you leave your alcohol in your cooler on your tube. After leaving Smith Falls you can float on down to various outfitters campgrounds. I recommend Fritz's Island Campground / Stans Landing for a nice campground and nice new equipment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2009, 12:22 AM

26 posts, read 138,623 times
I actually been to Smith falls, and camped at Sharp's too! It was actually a very nice vacation with my wife and I as we were going to Mt. Rushmore. The people running the place was really cool and friendly. We planned to go tubing, but due to the random brush fires (2006) we did not get there in time to make the ride. I remember all the wild sunflowers on the sides of the bumpy roads leading to Sharp's, and the elk behind the fence. Living here in North Carolina we do not see that type of native wildlife that Nebraska has. It was an adventure better than I could have imagined.

I thought Smith falls looked like a nostril.

Old 03-11-2009, 05:07 PM

20 posts, read 92,267 times
That sounds like a blast!!!

Old 04-22-2009, 04:43 PM

2 posts, read 18,205 times
Default Fines?

What fines would one be looking at if they were drinking a beer on their raft/tube? Anyone with an unfortunate experience with this would be appreciated.
Thank you,
Wes

Old 04-23-2009, 10:17 AM

2,716 posts, read 6,895,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wes4x4 View Post
What fines would one be looking at if they were drinking a beer on their raft/tube? Anyone with an unfortunate experience with this would be appreciated.
Thank you,
Wes
I there was a way to get fined I would have been by now. Seriously, as long as you aren't being completely stupid, and keep the beer out of the state park, they leave you alone completely.

Old 05-07-2009, 04:08 PM

2 posts, read 18,205 times
Thank you for your input. I appreciate it.

Old 05-10-2009, 01:15 PM

696 posts, read 1,726,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_W View Post
Anyone know of a good camp site off the Niobrara which isnt state owned(I like to drink beer when I camp) and offers some sort of a shuttle service so we can tube down the river all day and have a ride back to the camp site. I have been talking w/rock barn outfitters and they seem very strict as far as alcohol is concerned. Any info would be awsome...thanks.
I to like to enjoy a beer or cocktail while camping but I spent a weekend at
Sharps Outfitters in Sparks, NE. ( www.sharpsoutfitters.com )

and did the four hour canoe trip.

The enforcement of obnoxious drinking/drunk idiots was very low.

I would not recommend taking kids to this area although it is a great place for drinking idiots.

It was so funny when one of the drunks tried climbing the waterfall (an off limits area) fell and cracked open his head.
My sister a nurse tended to his wound while an ambulance was called and
I filled up my camera with pictures of his group trying to get rid of all their beer.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:00 AM

2,177 posts, read 3,547,833 times
Funny how a few can ruin it for the rest.

I began canoeing this river in my early 20's some 30 odd years ago. Way before Smith Falls state park, when you gained permission to walk up the canyon to that secluded fall. I've witnessed such stupidity as mentioned above. Not only at the falls but while floating the river as well. People diving off tubes into shallow water, cutting feet on discarded trash in the river and its banks, and attempting to climb banks that just weren't meant for climbing.

Not only to they put their lives in danger, but lives of those with them and their rescurers as well.

I have sadly sat by a table where a family talked of their recent trip on the river. Too many times I have heard the parents say, never again shall they return. Not because of the natural scenery and beauty of the area, but due to the others and their behavior they encountered on the river. I have viewed the remains along river banks of empty coolers, have helped pick up discarded trash a time or two also.

When another groups actions begin to effect another parties trip, sometimes with just load language, sometimes even with flashing, or other forms of rudeness, it has gone to far. Courtesy can go a long ways in improving the river for all to enjoy. Making it an enjoyable trip for all.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:13 AM

2,707 posts, read 6,232,456 times
Personally, I prefer the float down around Nenzel/Kilgore/Anderson bridge, etc. There is a primitive camping area on the south side of the river, by Anderson bridge that is fairly untraveled (or was as of a few years ago when we lived right next to the bridge).

It's much quieter and family-friendly since the partiers seem to go east of Valentine...

Old 05-14-2009, 12:34 PM

696 posts, read 1,726,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
Personally, I prefer the float down around Nenzel/Kilgore/Anderson bridge, etc. There is a primitive camping area on the south side of the river, by Anderson bridge that is fairly untraveled (or was as of a few years ago when we lived right next to the bridge).

It's much quieter and family-friendly since the partiers seem to go east of Valentine...
Can I get more info. Company, phone nubmer, or just a marked map of a starting point and the primitive camping area.

I really would enjoy going canoeing/floating again.

Thanks in advance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska