Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 08:27 PM

7 posts, read 30,979 times

Advertisements

Medical
Allergist
Dentist - Christine Campbell 40th and Normal, been with her for years.
Optometrist - Heidi Wise, 14th and Pine Lake

Restaurants / Take Out / Food (specifically but not limited to)
Pizza (NY style) Can't really recommend NY style, but Piezano's at 27th and South is good.
Tex Mex - Love LaPaz too
Chinese - Vincent's House of Hunan, 56th and Highway 2. Not fabulous atmosphere, but great food.
Thai - Blue Orchid downtown
Subs/Deli - I like Doozys and Brown Baggers is also very good
Breakfast - Green Gateau downtown is great all around. This is a GREAT place, IMO. Stauffers is good too.
Diner - Not sure. Don't think it's a "diner" but 9 South Chargrill is good.
Burgers - Wilderness Ridge Lodge 24th and Yankee Hill Road
Steak - Love Merle's in Emerald (10 minutes west on O) Wilderness Ridge and Green Gateau also have good steaks.
Ice Cream - Ivanna Cone is great. Also Ice Cream Shoppe at 70th and Pioneers. Also NuVibe has great Gelato.
Doughnuts - Conroy's bakery 48th and Prescott is great. LaMars is also good
Regional Food / Snack - Poppycock is made here by Lincoln Snacks.
Gourmet Food Store - I'm not sure, sorry.
Grocery Store - I'm cheap, Super Saver. Ideal is good for unique things.
Food Co-op - No idea
Produce - I've been happy at Super Saver, but I'm sure others would say Hy-Vee?
Bakery - Conroy's or LaQuartier. Grain Bin is good too.
Butcher / Meat - Ideals or Leon's...I believe both have "Choice" grade meat.

Last edited by Gigaspeed; 02-16-2008 at 08:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2008, 08:41 PM

7 posts, read 30,979 times
Default Additions to the other post

Entertainment
Art Museum / Gallery - Not experienced, sorry
Movie Theatre - SouthPointe is my usual. Grand and Edgewood are ok
Town Event - Rib Fest in the summer. Also, Art Show at Southpointe in the fall along with the Farmer's Markets
Alternative rock station - I mainly listen to 102.7, 106.3 and 107.3. They aren't rock.
Modern/Pop station - see above
Favorite place in town - I really like all of Lincoln. Work near the Capitol, live SW.
Least favorite place in town - Any place there are shoulder-to-shoulder people! North, South, West, East...doesn't matter. I like my space! Lincoln is fine all over. I honestly feel comfortable everywhere and I've been here for 35+ years.

Misc.
Dry cleaners - Williams
Mechanic - 6to6 10th and M. Dean is a VERY honest guy.
Car wash - My driveway!
Cheapest gas - Probably North somewhere
Furniture store Not sure, Armstrong's is very nice
Hairstylist / Salon - The Turning Point (Julie)
Aenethestician / Spa - ?
Manicure / Pedicure - ?
Bank - TierOne. But Union, Cornhusker, WestGate are all local.

Old 02-17-2008, 06:34 PM

47 posts, read 225,231 times
Everyone's doing a good job on this, so I only have a few to chime in on.

Pizza (NY style) I think the closest you might get is Fat Pat's (Or maybe just Pats's? I haven't had it, and I think it changed locations, you'll have to check it out) but it's great and has a lot of variety. If you want dine-in, Yia Yia's downtown has good stuff and a good atmosphere. And lots of beer. Lots.

Chinese - Windchimes is my favorite, but I'd opt to go to Omaha.
Thai - Blue Orchid downtown...he said it, I'll say it again. This place is great. Thai Garden is also a good place for a smaller price.

Breakfast - Green Gateau IS great, but can be pricey. (Sorry, I'm basing this on my 5...okay, 5.5 years of being a broke college kid. I don't know what you're money situation is.) If you like basic diner food, Kuhl's downtown is good.
Diner - Ditto.

Produce - I have the best luck at Hy-Vee. Unless you're looking for organic, in which case I go to Open Harvest on 16th and South

Old 02-17-2008, 06:45 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,555,537 times
All of the discussion about Cinnamon Rolls with Chili reminds me of Runza.

Anyone new to the area needs to try a Runza at least once... I could go there once a week and order one.

The reason I'm reminded of Runza, is they actually have Cinnamon Rolls with Chili on the menu... the Cinnamon Rolls are the old Miller & Pain recipe. (Miller & Pain being an old store in Lincoln that had a tea room with great Cinnamon Rolls).

Check out Runza for fast food (great burgers/frys, but please give a Runza Sandwich a try).

Old 02-18-2008, 09:25 AM

35 posts, read 112,854 times
Gigaspeed and mj103, thank you so much for your recommendations. And though I am many years removed from college, I like saving money. And sometimes, the best isn't always the most expensive.

Dave1215, you will be so proud of me. On my first full day in Lincoln, I had an original Runza. I thought, "I like bread, beef and cabbage so this should be AWESOME." Right? Unfortunately, I could only eat 1/3 of it but at least I tried. Their onion rings were pretty good though.

Keep 'em coming, Lincolners!

Old 02-18-2008, 10:38 AM

2,589 posts, read 10,555,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arena73 View Post
Gigaspeed and mj103, thank you so much for your recommendations. And though I am many years removed from college, I like saving money. And sometimes, the best isn't always the most expensive.

Dave1215, you will be so proud of me. On my first full day in Lincoln, I had an original Runza. I thought, "I like bread, beef and cabbage so this should be AWESOME." Right? Unfortunately, I could only eat 1/3 of it but at least I tried. Their onion rings were pretty good though.

Keep 'em coming, Lincolners!

Funny/... Runza's you either love them or hate them - not much inbetween. Funny thing about them, even if you hate cabbage and onion I know many people who still like them.

Agree on the rings... nice thing about that is if you can't decide between Frys and Rings you can order Frings (little of each) and they know what you are talking about.

They have good salads and burgers too...

Old 02-18-2008, 06:51 PM

4 posts, read 18,468 times
Default Lincoln

I am not a native but after 4 years at the U in Lincoln I know a few of the cheapest (college budget) ways to be entertained.
The state capitol is great to roam in and check the echos and sound transfer in the arched areas. Beautiful mosaic work and history of the state.
Another cheap place is Pioneers Park although I only went there in nice weather both spring and fall.
Check out the East Campus of UNL if you just want a nice quiet campus area and the Dairy Store is a fun treat. Go up to the Havelock area for just a nice slice of a neighborhood that still has a lot of its own identity.
Hope you enjoy Lincoln. It has lots of hidden gems if you just start asking and looking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska