Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2018, 01:08 AM

9,398 posts, read 8,884,129 times

Advertisements

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/mark...rCU?li=BBnb7Kz

Not sure where the disconnect is here. Does the State have a bad reputation, or is it something else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2018, 04:49 PM

20,871 posts, read 9,541,930 times
The Midwest, in general, is an unpopular place to move to. Too cold, too much snow, and no mountains to make up for it.

Old 06-11-2018, 06:06 PM

387 posts, read 638,302 times
I grew up in Nebraska. I lived in a small town that was a county seat, but still small enough to unincorporated. If I had not moved in 9th grade, there would have been 5 people in my graduating class. When I was a child, there were at least three years that had blizzards lasting multiple days, and 100 degrees in the summer is not unheard of. This was in the Sandhills of Nebraska, in the western part of the state, which may very well be one of the most sparsely populated areas in America outside of central Alaska.

There are still people on the coasts that believe ALL of Nebraska is like this. If this is what you believed Nebraska to be would you move to Nebraska? No movie theaters, no bars (cuz it was a dry county...I think they got their first liquor license in like 2002 or 2003, but I also think that establishment may be closed. Not sure.), no bowling alleys, one restaurant, one gas station. 40 mile drive for anything, last time I was there, that included groceries. Who wants to drive 40 miles for groceries, especially if that grocery trip can turn into a 3 day blizzard that keeps you from home for about 5 days because it takes that long to clear the road between the grocery-town, and the small town.

Now, is that reality for all of Nebraska? Absolutely not!!! But I have found that coastal dwellers do not care to listen when told of the reality of Nebraska...that it is much like any other state, has large cities and rural areas like any other state, and the large cities have growing economies, vibrant city sections that are being energized and redeveloped (AkSarBen area of Omaha, Haymarket area of Lincoln), thriving restaurant and music scenes, theatre, museums. They have Trader Joes and Whole Foods (there are some states that can't say that). No, they don't have Chicago, or New York, or LA. But, honestly, there are only three states that can claim those. But coasties that I've spoken to have wave that away with "No, no. They don't have stop lights there! It's stuck in 1930's dust bowl!" Okay, maybe not those exact words, but really, not that far off. They're not interested in learning, only disparaging, thus exacerbating that a great place with good jobs and an EXCEPTIONALLY low cost of living cannot attract people to come work there.

Old 06-11-2018, 07:17 PM

2,662 posts, read 1,378,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALStafford View Post
I grew up in Nebraska. I lived in a small town that was a county seat, but still small enough to unincorporated. If I had not moved in 9th grade, there would have been 5 people in my graduating class. When I was a child, there were at least three years that had blizzards lasting multiple days, and 100 degrees in the summer is not unheard of. This was in the Sandhills of Nebraska, in the western part of the state, which may very well be one of the most sparsely populated areas in America outside of central Alaska.

There are still people on the coasts that believe ALL of Nebraska is like this. If this is what you believed Nebraska to be would you move to Nebraska? No movie theaters, no bars (cuz it was a dry county...I think they got their first liquor license in like 2002 or 2003, but I also think that establishment may be closed. Not sure.), no bowling alleys, one restaurant, one gas station. 40 mile drive for anything, last time I was there, that included groceries. Who wants to drive 40 miles for groceries, especially if that grocery trip can turn into a 3 day blizzard that keeps you from home for about 5 days because it takes that long to clear the road between the grocery-town, and the small town.

Now, is that reality for all of Nebraska? Absolutely not!!! But I have found that coastal dwellers do not care to listen when told of the reality of Nebraska...that it is much like any other state, has large cities and rural areas like any other state, and the large cities have growing economies, vibrant city sections that are being energized and redeveloped (AkSarBen area of Omaha, Haymarket area of Lincoln), thriving restaurant and music scenes, theatre, museums. They have Trader Joes and Whole Foods (there are some states that can't say that). No, they don't have Chicago, or New York, or LA. But, honestly, there are only three states that can claim those. But coasties that I've spoken to have wave that away with "No, no. They don't have stop lights there! It's stuck in 1930's dust bowl!" Okay, maybe not those exact words, but really, not that far off. They're not interested in learning, only disparaging, thus exacerbating that a great place with good jobs and an EXCEPTIONALLY low cost of living cannot attract people to come work there.
It is sad how little so many Am2ericans know about their country. And how little interest so many of them have in learning about it.

Old 06-12-2018, 11:24 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Nebraska (tho a great state) has a significant burden for workers / residents / businesses in the form of taxation. Of course it takes taxes to HELP make a great state...
7th highest in USA for property taxes (as a % of income)

Nice place to live / grow a family and garden...
but (for the general worker bee...)
add the 'proximity; (to coasts or mtns / recreation / desired 'activity based' QoL)
and you will have 'limited appeal'

Be grateful you have the JOBS!!! (and that you do not have the additional tax burden of Kansas!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska