Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 10:21 AM

2,234 posts, read 3,321,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
I hope no windows were broken.
Did you actually get to see the F5 tornado?
Which part of Nebraska did you live close to?

I would guess heating bills would be very low if there is a lot of wood stoves around the interior and one is willing to cut the wood. These days eco nazis are cracking down on wood burning in different parts of the country. And utilities per kilowatt hour based on what I see is not bad in Nebraska compared to other parts of the country.

I guess its important to live on a higher part of the area. Or park a camper or motorhome at a higher area if one staying inside. To avoid being flooded.
Yes, I saw the F5 form and then spin down to the ground. This was in Omaha in 1975.
I didn't have any broken windows, but the house I lived in before I purchased my current house had all the windows on 2 sides completely blown out and they had to have the siding replaced and a new roof put on.

There's no eco Nazis here, so there is no restriction on burning wood in a fire place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2018, 06:22 PM

3,347 posts, read 2,311,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Are you a prepper looking to move from CA?

Do your research.

SD / ID may suit you better.

Though very nice... NE is NOT cheap!!! (nor forgiving... weather / people / conditions / legislation / CoL)

.. average monthly residential electricity bill in Nebraska is 6.54% less than the national average monthly bill of $107.
I pay ~ 1/2 the NE Electric rate (and am MUCH closer to CA... ) ID has Nuclear AND Geothermal (real geothermal as in HEAT from Earth, not some silly 'ground source heat pump' (geothermal (?))... )

Yes, it is ALWAYS a good idea to build on high ground (Floods),
Beware of tornadoes...
Tough to escape hail. ! Tho NE has far less LARGE SIZE damaging hail than Colorado. (but it can / will happen)
Both CO and NE have vicious Locust infestations! (Eat the paint / window screens off your house and car and every living thing)
I am doing my research these days to see whether NE or SD is better. I am curious whether it’s better to stay in the corners region of North Sioux City, Sioux City, and South Sioux City.

I am highly shocked SD is a state to try to overturn the 1992 federal ruling regarding out of state commerce. You’d think it would be a well known some tax people to death state such as NY, NJ, MA, CA, Etc that would try to pull his stunt.

I would really like to find out why some commenters state that NE is not cheap and how it’s people and legiation is undesirable. As Stuff that happen in NE hardly make national news. The most notorious mess up by state legislators in NE that I heard about is back in 2008 NE passed it’s safe haven law being the only state without one. But the spoof was they forgot to define an age limit. And many parents with disabled or cognitively challenged special needs kids even those from way out of state turned to Nebraska hospitals thinking that they could take their physicatrically challenged children even that of adult age of 19 into custody. Fortunelety an emergency session within in just a month stopped the madness.

One other thing is that Nebraska is Dillion’s rule meaning that cities have limited power to make legislation. Today it’s ever more important as special interests use local governments to push their agenda even in states that oppose them. As local governments are easier to brain wash and think more “progressively.” Not necessary in a rational way of course.
And what I don’t understand is that while Nebraska May be a red state it doesn’t embrace the crazy NRA lobbies ie stand your ground laws. Unlike neighboring Colorado which despite being a blue state seen to love the NRA.

Old 08-23-2018, 10:16 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,237,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
I am highly shocked SD is a state to try to overturn the 1992 federal ruling regarding out of state commerce. You’d think it would be a well known some tax people to death state such as NY, NJ, MA, CA, Etc that would try to pull his stunt....
Are you referring to sales tax on items purchased over the internet? If so, while I'm not big on increasing taxes, I appreciate that online sales transactions should meet some of the same expenses that local stores are faced with. We need local retailers, but they're suffering all over the nation thanks to online sales. Today it was announced that our Kmart Super Store is closing, along with 40 or so other Kmart and /Sears stores. All had been operating at a loss. (Thank you internet.)

Online transactions should be subject to sales/use taxes just like local stores. They have plenty of cost-cutting advantages without adding sales tax.

To be clear, many of these online sellers have properties in the larger states, so they've always collected sales taxes for those states, but when they'd sell to buyers in some of the smaller states like SD (and Wyoming) they didn't collect sales taxes. Buyers were *supposed* to pay use taxes when they'd buy out-of-state and avoid sales taxes, but only businesses did that; individuals never did. The sales taxes for internet purchases simply attempt to level the playing field -- and help finance local/state government. It simply doesn't affect states like NY, NJ, MA, CA, etc.

After all that, I hope it's what you were referring to!

Old 08-23-2018, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
Yes, I saw the F5 form and then spin down to the ground. This was in Omaha in 1975.
I didn't have any broken windows, but the house I lived in before I purchased my current house had all the windows on 2 sides completely blown out and they had to have the siding replaced and a new roof put on.

There's no eco Nazis here, so there is no restriction on burning wood in a fire place.
I am very glad to hear this. I heard not just in Blue progressive states are firewood and many other things criminalized. But even states like Idaho and Utah are getting all these wood burning bans and stuff as EPA is now controlled by UN agenda 21 folks. Though the fact that Nebraska lack steep valleys also helps keeps the air clean which is a good thing and I guess wildfires are not much of an issue due to lack of dry mountains. Interestingly in this century it appears governments don't know what their priorities are. In reality they are brainwashed poppets and pressured to conform to based on who have a stronghold over them, Sierra Club is often behind these. Usually the progressive areas but the far right can sometimes be equally as bad. I heard in California they are about to force a fee on straws or ban them as well as ban soft drinks in meals.

And Nebraska does not pioneer to taking away individual states' sovereignty with trying to repeal the 1992 provision on out of state commerce. SD made enemies with several states including New Hampshire trying to push this as a violation of state sovereignty and it means more uncompensated work. This was surprising as I heard how South Dakota had became a prime domicile "destination" for many libertarian freedom lovers who decided to give up having a fixed address or renting homes from others and living on the road. I heard that one issue is that SD would not get any physical presence not even in the form of affiliate companies thats why they probably want some way to lure companies to move into their state. Though this would not by any means solve the issues brick and motar stores face currently only cause more issues. Though I know that NE and South Dakota seem to avoid getting itself on the limelight of national news most of the time. I am glad NE fixed that dangerous mistake with its "Safe Haven" law pretty quickly. That really placed the otherwise quiet state into National attention.

Regarding the storms, I would be curious would building a strong building with hurricane windows a good idea, and maybe a storm vault underground. Though this could be hard if one lives on the road in a RV or camper or tiny house.

Old 08-24-2018, 07:36 AM

393 posts, read 409,521 times
Nebraska is a tax heavy state. Top 5 in the nation. To register/purchase a vehicle you'll need a second loan to pay. Property taxes are outrageous. A 200K home will put you at 6000 a year tax. Of course state taxes everything, SS, retirement pension, etc and income tax rate is high as well. Sales tax usually averages at 7% throughout state, but this is a city rate.

Omaha is a terrible place to live. Anywhere in the east and you will be a victim of a crime; Lots of homeless. Murders etc. The Omaha School District performs lowest in the state with an average 17 ACT score.

If you choose to live in West Omaha, you will spend much of your time in your car as infrastructure does not meet demand. Traffic is rush hour every hour in West Omaha. And no one that lives in West Omaha is really from Omaha. All are from elsewhere, and eventually will move elsewhere.

Small town Nebraska is usually very good. People are friendly, helpful. Life is less expensive, yet the taxes are still there.

As for weather; extreme humidity in the summer, very cold in the winter.

NO lakes, no mountains, not much to do.

I've lived in Nebraska for 35 years. It's been good, but I'm really hating my years in Omaha. Retire soon, and I cannot afford to stay here.

Old 08-24-2018, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krug View Post
Nebraska is a tax heavy state. Top 5 in the nation. To register/purchase a vehicle you'll need a second loan to pay. Property taxes are outrageous. A 200K home will put you at 6000 a year tax. Of course state taxes everything, SS, retirement pension, etc and income tax rate is high as well. Sales tax usually averages at 7% throughout state, but this is a city rate.

Omaha is a terrible place to live. Anywhere in the east and you will be a victim of a crime; Lots of homeless. Murders etc. The Omaha School District performs lowest in the state with an average 17 ACT score.

If you choose to live in West Omaha, you will spend much of your time in your car as infrastructure does not meet demand. Traffic is rush hour every hour in West Omaha. And no one that lives in West Omaha is really from Omaha. All are from elsewhere, and eventually will move elsewhere.

Small town Nebraska is usually very good. People are friendly, helpful. Life is less expensive, yet the taxes are still there.

As for weather; extreme humidity in the summer, very cold in the winter.

NO lakes, no mountains, not much to do.

I've lived in Nebraska for 35 years. It's been good, but I'm really hating my years in Omaha. Retire soon, and I cannot afford to stay here.
I found this article and I am surprised this red state in the middle of the country is like this https://journalstar.com/business/loc...79fbbbfd2.html
only second to California and New York, thats really not good thing to hear. Though the most important thing is how much in return for people get for the taxes they pay? Are utility and infrastructure maintained well? What about roads and bridges? Its kind of like if you pay a certain amount in HOA fees what do you get in return?

Though I seem to find at least they are not crazy about over legislation as many other states are doing particularly states near the coastline. Nor do they cave in to radical NRA stand your ground or other far right extremism unlike states like Missouri, Oklahoma, and Texas.

Be careful about cities like Omaha, while i haven't been there I know that in much of the country cities are often poppets for progressive over-regulation Agenda even in red states. Somewhere I heard that Omaha and Lincoln have certain home rule powers despite being in a Dillion's rule state. Do you live within city limits or in the unincorporated areas?

So if you have to be in the North Sioux City SD, Sioux City IA, and South Sioux city NE region which one would you choose to live or set up business in?

Old 08-24-2018, 05:28 PM

Regarding the storms, I would be curious would building a strong building with hurricane windows a good idea, and maybe a storm vault underground. Though this could be hard if one lives on the road in a RV or camper or tiny house.[/quote]

The most violent weather are tornados, hurricanes have less wind, so hurricane windows would probably be a waste of time. The experts use a rating of damage to determine how powerful the tornado is. If the tornado only destroyed every building in it path and left the debree there it was an F4, however if the tornado scoured the area clean to the ground and left nothing to clean up then it's an F5. The buildings in the damage path of the F5 that I experienced were gone all the way to the ground. The reason I say this is because no type of window could survive if the whole building was gone.

Old 08-25-2018, 03:13 PM

I guess it would take a strong concrete building to withstand a strong tornado. Though it would probably also need automatic shutters. Though most buildings in this part of the country with the exception of tall office buildings are wood which would split apart like a box of matches.

Correct me if I am wrong, I heard the chances of a tornado going directly over a building built on the same site is once every thousand years even in tornado ally and the chances are even lower for one that is F3 and higher. The more common hazards to a building are an indirect impact of a tornado nearby, usually a weaker one or debris it picks up that fall out of the sky, or large hailstones which laminated double windows can help protect the interior side from dangerous breakage. I guess a good idea for those who live in these areas is to install cameras on the roof that is trained to the sky in all sides of the building to catch the imaging of approaching tornadoes, so shutters can be remotely closed. Of course I know that dark clouds and rain may hamper this.

Though I guess for those with RVs and Campers people would suggest being on the mountain sides ie northwest nebraska or similar part of south Dakota where the chance of tornado is very low.

Old 08-28-2018, 03:39 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,279,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krug View Post
Nebraska is a tax heavy state. Top 5 in the nation. To register/purchase a vehicle you'll need a second loan to pay. Property taxes are outrageous. A 200K home will put you at 6000 a year tax...
200K home in Otoe county (Nebraska City) is nowhere near $6000 in taxes. At least according to the tax assessor's website, which I find to be very detailed and up to date. Maybe it's different in Omaha.

Old 08-29-2018, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
200K home in Otoe county (Nebraska City) is nowhere near $6000 in taxes. At least according to the tax assessor's website, which I find to be very detailed and up to date. Maybe it's different in Omaha.
My house is valued at $280k and we pay $4000 a year in taxes. It's still too much money compared tp other states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska