Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 01:27 PM

947 posts, read 3,571,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvared View Post
I suggest you learn how to drive and get a car if you're going to be living in Nebraska-much easier and you will have a better/easier time!
Maybe I will eventually, but the town Im going to be in is small enough I won't need one.

I need the exercise of walking and riding my bike.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2008, 06:31 AM

137 posts, read 615,115 times
Default Never Been There

OK...so I have not been to Ord, but I figure it must be a pretty major town because the Kearney TV weather (13) displays Ord as the only Nebraska town on a large regional map that includes Canadian towns as well. hehe

Congratulations on your choice of living in Nebraska. We made that choice last December when we moved into the country outside of Cambridge which is around 30 miles east of McCook. Best thing we ever did! We're lucky that we didn't need a job as we're retired, but if I needed work, there are some pretty good opportunities in this area anyway.

I imagine you will find plenty of places to ride your bike. Old railroad grades have been converted to bike and walking paths in many locations, and though it does get cold in Nebraska now and then, you quickly learn to keep your head covered and the wind at your back, and it isn't so bad... well... it's a matter of personal perspective as to how bad it is. We quickly got to the point the cold didn't bother us too much.

We're starting our first summer, and I know it's gonna be hot. Just yesterday I was talking to farming neighbor about previous hot spell... he said 114 and a 20 MPH S wind for 8 days that just cooked everything. I'm pretty sure that is NOT the norm, but severe weather is likely from time to time, and a weather alert radio is a good investment in my opinion.

We've met some really nice people around here, and have been welcomed into the community. "Being friendly goes a long way around here" was a comment made to us shortly after we moved into our farmstead. We'd wave at the passing vehicles, but didn't realize we were forming a bond with neighbors with that simple hand raised gesture until it was pointed out to us.

One thing I've noticed about a few folks... I'm sure you have seen the picture of the cat with the most sour of faces with the quote "I AM Smiling" and you will find a few of those sour faced folks around. They always say hello and are pleasant, but that look makes you wonder now and then.

Welcome to "The Good Life!"

Old 05-19-2008, 06:39 AM

1,821 posts, read 5,147,243 times
Off Pavement, glad to hear things are still going well!

Old 06-01-2008, 12:01 AM

Well, I'm not in Ord just yet.....but Im still planning on getting to Ord, things have just gotten in the way and delayed me a little.

Both me and my enginer (whos driving me up, then heading to Denver) wwre owed money by 2 different people and neither one of us got paid.... we're simply waiting till Wednesday of this week to get paid so we can have some cash reserves when we hit the road to make sure we're covered heaven forbid the car breaks down in the middle of nowheresville.

I'm still very excited and very looking forward to moving to Ord!!

Old 06-01-2008, 05:47 AM

1,821 posts, read 5,147,243 times
Well, hope you get up here safely and soon. You were orginally suppose to be here and start work today, were you not?

Old 06-01-2008, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpabes View Post
Well, hope you get up here safely and soon. You were orginally suppose to be here and start work today, were you not?
June 2nd was my original start date, but the boss spent 6 months looking for someone and I made sure it was OK with them that Im going to be delayed a week, and they said it was OK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska