Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 07:50 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times

Advertisements

I don't know if Yorkie Mom will accept this or not, but I'm going to send it anyway.

I do not think MattDen needs me to defend him. I think he is a big boy and can defend himself. Having read his posts however, I do not understand ehenningsen's comments about enabling, etc. All he did was present some statistics with which s/he did not agree. I think most people have heard the saying "there are lies, damn lies, and statistics". Statistics can be interpreted in many ways. Most of the rest of his stuff is opinion, which there is no shortage of on this or any other fourm.

I will however, defend myself against what I feel are unwarranted accusations. On Feb. 17 I responded to a thread titled (paraphrasing) how others see Nebraska. ehenningsen completely mininterpreted something I said and wrote a long diatribe against me. I did not post again on the Nebraska site until March 7, when this stuff against MattDen got on my nerves. There is supposed to be a rule on this forum: Attack ideas, not people. Yet the entire purpose of this thread, started by ehenningsen, is to make fun of someone. And when I objected, ehenningsen called me a number of names, including "disgruntled empolyee" and "ex-wife". And s/he is the one who claims Nebraskans try a little harder to be nice to people! (See above mentioned thread)

My husband is from Nebraska and I have a number of extended family members there. I do not have anything "against" Nebraska. That would be silly. I have my opinions, which are as valid as anyone else's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2007, 08:31 PM

673 posts, read 4,068,684 times
Ehenningsen, What is one instance in which I provided misleading information that were not factually based. Please, give me one statistic I used which was misleading. I got all my numbers from U.S Census Bureau, Bureau of Labor Statistics and Bureau of Economic analysis. These are the most trusted sources for demographic information and the most widely available also.

If any statistics you thought were misleading, I would like to know what they are.

Old 03-10-2007, 01:50 AM

1,394 posts, read 4,170,775 times
Pittnurse, You are right this forum is to give opinions, ideas, and help others, not to make attacks on others. If this thread bothered Matt Dean then I would shut it down, he has not contacted me in doing so. If it creates a problem, or if Mattt Dean wants it closed, I will get to it as soon as I hear something from him.
If the personal attacks keep coming in I will take it upon myself to shut it down. Opinions are great but attacks are against the rules. Thanks again Pittnurse for pointing it out for everyone. Lets just try and help the people who want information about Nebraska, and stop the bashing. Thanks, Yorkie

Old 03-10-2007, 04:22 AM

This thread does not bother me in the slightest, I think its valid that people would ask when I am leaving as this state is not my cup of tea. I am more into urbanity which Nebraska does not have the level that level of urbanity that suits my preference. My ideal living situation is a metro area of 2 or 3 million people, thats just my preference as far as living situation. I will more then likely be moving in the next 6 months, I am not in a hurry but not intending on staying for a long time.

The statistics I have posted have not been misleading, I have posted data almost entirely by three groups: The Bureau of Labor Statistics www.bls.gov, The Bureau of Economic Analysis www.bea.gov and The Census bureau www.census.gov. I find these three groups to be the best at economics related information about a given place.

I am sure however Nebraska suits the needs of many people. I even recommended on a post that some retirees consider SE Nebraska because of the proximity to Kansas City and quietness and extreme affordability compared to the state they were moving from.

All and all, my posts on Nebraska so far have been mixed between the positive and negative elements of the state. But I think people tend to remember negative elements then positive ones. I think my posts have generally been in-line with some of the people like me who are from out of state and have not had good experiences here and have not been generally impressed.

Last edited by MattDen; 03-10-2007 at 04:32 AM..

Old 03-10-2007, 04:22 AM

482 posts, read 2,225,418 times
Yorkie_Mom and Pittnurse70,

If you take a look at this latest post by MattDen on Kimball, dated March 7, 2007, he is putting out information that is once again misleading. You can find this on the thread "Possible western Nebraska mvoe" by mtgman3mil.

Here is his posting that is way off base about Kimball:

"In 2002 the per-capita was 21,640 and in 2004 per-capita income was 26,978. The average wage per job in 2005 was 24,264 and the national average wage per job is about 40,000."

Like I said once, the individual will make what ever they live want they want of the place where ever they live. People are looking for information about an area, not negative information like MattDen is posting most of the time information that at times is totally misleading. To me information that people are looking for is about where the good housing is at, what about schools, recreation, shopping, transportation, hospitals and about the people in general. People are not looking for the kind of negative remarks that MattDen is making most of the time.

Here is what is posted on the City-Data.com web site for Kimball.

Median household income: $29,984 (year 2000)
Median house value: $49,800 (year 2000)

How can the median household income be almost $30,000 in 2000 for Kimball and now according to MattDen the average wage for Kimball is closer to $24,000 per year in 2005. He also needs to keep in mind that the cost of living in Nebraska is much less than it is in say New York or California. MattDen also posted this as well about Kimball "So the pay scale is 40% below the national average and the national average wage per job is about 40,000". This is a national average is just that an average. No we do not have the high paying jobs like you find in New York, Los Angles, Chicago or Washington DC, but for him to make this kind of statement is not correct. When in using his remark about the average wage being 40% below average this would make the wages in Kimball to be around only $16,000 per year. Once again way below what is posted on the City-Data.com web site and as being stated by MattDen himself as being only around $24,000. So what are we to believe when he makes these kind of outlandish remarks, just sit back and let it happen. For one I will not insult MattDen as he has a right to his opinion, just like you Pittnurse have the right to defend him if you want and I have a right to object to his opinions and to point out where he is most likely wrong in his opinion. Just like he has been in many, not all of his posts where he has posted some nice things about Nebraska, but he is, once again in my opinion, wrong about Kimball. I base my opinion upon not just one source but several. Then I take into consideration that the truth is somewhere in the middle. I also look at all of the facts and base my opinion on all the facts and not just the ones that I want to see. Maybe MattDen needs to take a look at other sources other than U.S Census Bureau, Bureau of Labor Statistics and Bureau of Economic analysis, before making remarks that will be brought into question. After all these agencies look at the whole country to make their analysis and that is want it is, just an analysis, that might or might not fit or what is the real truth about a certain area of our country or state. Also we all know we can trust that the Federal Agencies will always tell us the truth about everything, right.

Old 03-10-2007, 04:48 AM

I was posting the official numbers from the Bureau of Economic Analysis local area personal number income numbers for 2004 (per-capita) and 2005 (wage-per-job) data. I think its important when somebody is relocating to a place to raise a family they know what the economic situation of that place is. For most people, the economy is a high priority issue and people want to know what the economic situation is so they can evaulate where they are moving.

These are not my statistics, they are the statistics of the Bureau of Economic Analysis.

Information from:
Bureau of Economic Analysis: local area personal income
www.bea.gov/regional/reis/
table- ca 34

The average of wage-per job: 40,146
State of Nebraska: 32,583
Kimball County, Nebraska: 24,264

40% below 40,146= 24,088 (Kimball: 24,264)

40,146-39%=24,490
40,146-40%=24,088
40,146-39.5%=24,289
rounded: 24,289 (39.5%) 24,264= rounded to 40% below national average

The per capita income was 26,978 for Kimball County in 2004

Last edited by MattDen; 03-10-2007 at 05:02 AM..

Old 03-10-2007, 06:02 AM

Went there looked at the numbers and this is not for the city of Kimball. It is for the whole county of Kimball.

This is want is posted to the City-Data.com web site about Kimball County.

Median age: 42.8 years
Males: 48.9%, Females: 51.1%
Average wage per job in 2003: $21685
County population in 2003: 3844
Jobs in 2003: 1715
Total labor force in 2004: 2170
Unemployment rate in 2004: 2.9%
Average household size in Kimball County: 2.33
Median household income: $30,586 (year 2000)
Median house value: $49,400 (year 2000)
Median montly rent in 2000: $381
Institutionalized population: 60
Median monthly costs for houses with a mortgage in Kimball County in 2000: $618

Seems strange to me that one web site has it at $21,000 and another one has it 26,000 and you are telling us a different number all together. The point is to me is that people don't want to hear about this. What they want to know is about the current housing market, the schools, the hospitals, the churches, the recreation, and the shopping. People don't care about what one agency says over another agency. Tell them about what you know, not what you read about a area. Anyone can do that, tell them about your personal experiences about a certain town or area that you have lived in and not just driving through. Statics are not what most people want to hear about. When I reply to a post I provide information about the area as I have lived there, lived with the people, when to church there, may have gone to school there or had children going to school there. I went shopping there, eat meals there and enjoyed the recreational parts of the area. I did not care about what someone is doing an analysis of a certain area, because they did not actually go to the area to see want it was all about. You don't know what is going on until you live it for yourself and how you live that experience is up to you as an individual. I hope that you can see that for every static that you post that there will be different numbers being done by someone else.

Tell me what you know personally about what is going on in Iraq today? Tell me what you know personally about what is going on in Kosovo today? I can tell you what I hear from friends and family as to what is going on in Iraq today. I can tell you what is going on today in Kosovo as that is where I am right now. You can read all you want, but what you read is only what someone wants you to know. Live it and experience it, don't just read about it as you will never honestly understand until you do.

Deal with people as people not as numbers.

Old 03-10-2007, 07:15 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
As I said, There are lies, damn lies and statistics. Statistics can prove just about whatever you want them to. So what if one set is from the county and one set from the city? The numbers are close. City-data doesn't list a source. If you are that invested in an area that you cannot read anything negative about it, perhaps this forum is not for you. That is what the forum is for, an exchange of ideas.

Old 03-10-2007, 08:02 AM

You know something pittnurse70 that is what I think that I said. Most people don't care about statics. Most people could care less what one agency said over another. Most people only want to ask questions about certain things. When was the last time you sat down over coffee with friends and talked about how much more money someone was making in New Yord than in say Fort Morgan Colorado. Bet this just does not happen in your life and I know that it does not happen in mine. You see I have other things to talk about, like kids, grand children, my wife, my golf game, my fishing trip or just about anything else but statics that don't mean anything to the normal everyday individual. The exchange of ideas is fine, but they need to ideas that are based on experience. When you met you husband from Nebraska did you do a statical study before you got married? Did you do a statical study on the career that you choose? Did you do a statical study on the town that you decided to make you home? Did you do a statical study on the school that you send your children to (that is if you have any)? I will bet that you would have to answer all of these questions with a NO. I never based an area on statics and I never will. If I did I would not be in Kosovo working right now as statics say that this is not a good place to be. What I do get from being here is a much better understanding and love for what we have in America and see what we could be if we don't stand up and fight for what we believe in. Trust me I know alot of negative things about Nebraska that I do not like, but I do not share these with others, because what I find to be a negative you might find to be a positive. I will let you decide on what you dislike or like all I will share with you is what I know about a certain area, like where the best golf course is at, where to go fishing or hunting, or where I like to eat.

Sorry but I like this forum and sorry I will not go away just because I don't think and feel like you do.

Old 03-10-2007, 08:23 AM

Pittnurse70, To further point out what I am saying you can go check out the rest of the locations around the USA to see what the people want. I did and found this in Oregon Site in just a few seconds. Seems as if there are others who are posting misleading information other than in just Nebraska.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Ronk View Post
If you are looking to relocate to the Roseburg Area and you would like to get accurate information please feel free to send me your questions or post them here. I have been reading the posts from the past and most of them are far from being accurate . I am not 100% sure but I don't think that I have found an instance were the person offering information or insight into the Roseburg area had actually lived in the area at one time or if they were even currently living in the area. So if you want great reliable information about the Roseburg/Douglas County/Southern Oregon areas, send your questions to a Native that can give insight into the area from the past, the present, and an informed speculative future.
This was what one individual asked from him:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoSpud View Post
Brett Ronk,
We have some questions that you might be able to anwer. Do you know how much it is to hook up to city services (water,sewer) when building a new home and how much is the average cost a month for these for a family of four 3 bedroom 2 bath home?
Brett gave this answer back:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Ronk View Post
Well it all depends upon exactly were your new home is going to be located. There are several different water and sewer districts throughout Douglas County and each of them have a vary wide range of charges and hook-up costs. If you can give me an exact area or location that you are considering to live, I will be happy to give you an exact amount for all such items you have asked for.
Guess what the next post was about and I will give you a big hint, it did not ask for any kind of statical information. Here it is for you:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoSpud View Post
We were looking at a building lot northeast Roseburg, would that narrow it down enough? Thank you for your help.
This is just a short story for you. You see people don't care what the income is like in a certain area. They are looking to move to a place where they can make a new home for themselves so that they can make new friends and have new experiences in life. No one cares about statical data when they are doing this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska