Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 08:24 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosnebbear View Post
Sorry but I like this forum and sorry I will not go away just because I don't think and feel like you do.
That is not what I meant. I meant if you are going to get so defensive over other's posts of areas you hold so near and dear you that cannot bear any critique, then perphaps you shouldn't be a part of this. You argue about the source of statistics (yours are unsourced), disagree with someone else's that are sourced, claim he is making misleading statements, present your own stats, then blow it all off with a statement like "the cost of living is lower in (insert name of city) Nebraska, and who cares about statistics anyway? If you don't care, quit posting them and arguing about them.

The purpose of this forum is an exchange of ideas. People will agree and disagree. If you can't handle the disagreement (which is what I said), perhaps you should find a Nebraska cheerleader forum instead. My presence on this forum has been questioned. I had to identify myself as having a connection to Nebraska, which should not have been necessary. I have been accused of trolling forums (not by you, mind you) to flame people. I do not think this is appropriate behavior. I too, enjoy the fourm and am not going to leave because someone doesn't think I have a sufficient reason to be on it. On this matter, we seem to agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2007, 08:37 AM

482 posts, read 2,226,855 times
We can beat this into the ground, but as for my statical data be unsourced if you look I put my source on any statical data that I give. I get mine from like the City of Omaha budget, the Chamber of Commerce in Omaha, from the National Coalation on the Homeless, from HHS for the State of Nebraska, all of these places I feel have a much better idea of what is going on in their state and city than someone say in Washington DC. To me it would like me telling you how to run your home from Kosovo where I am at. You know what is best for you and you know what you need to do better than I will ever know. Plus I am not going to put a bunch of statical data in front of you in order to try to prove to you that I am right.

This discussion is very good for both of us as we both can see what the other is saying and we both can appreciate the fact that we are free to discuss this and have disagreements. I also what you to know that it is my honor to serve and protect these freedoms for you for over 49 years. I will continue to do so until the day that I die. Like all US Marines would say to you Semper Fi (always faithful) to God, country and family.

Old 03-10-2007, 10:56 AM

Well, city-data doesn't give a source, but I use it too. God bless you.

Old 03-10-2007, 04:34 PM

1,119 posts, read 4,200,376 times
Default Pittnurse...

I have stated my reasons... but if you want me to get more specific... again.... here we go...

In many threads mattden would post statistical information about how residents from Omaha make a little less than the national average, which is true, if you do not count the suburbs... Most core cities do and if you were to count the metro as a whole the per capita income here is over $3000 higher per capita workers, and at the same time the cost of living is at 89% of the national average..

He also states in his threads that Omaha is ghetto at various locations, and most of the locations he points out is older neighborhoods that are kept up, a ghetto does not equal older kept up neighborhoods, and blight does not equal older neighborhoods..

Also in one of his other identities on his second post, he posts that Omaha has more ghetto than frisco, which is funny because the bay area has more ghetto than all Omaha put together...

I know Omaha has a ghetto, but everything Mattden states is either information that does not tell the whole picture or an opionion that basically states that if he finds some chipped paint that it's blight...

Go into his posts and read them and also read his links and then read mine... You may see what I am trying to say..

Old 03-10-2007, 06:17 PM

There are lies, damn lies and statistics. One can fanagle statistics to say practically whatever one wants. The census bureau statistics are generally accurate.

Sure, ANY city's stats look better when the suburbs are included. Unlike many cities, Omaha has taken over most of its parent county anyway. Therefore, there should be a fair number of higher income people in the city than in other places.

I don't know which city, Omaha or SF, has more ghetto per area, or per capita. It is certainly not clear from any of these stats.

I am more likely to read shorter posts than long ones. I rarely use the links that anyone submits.

Old 03-11-2007, 05:22 AM

673 posts, read 4,070,999 times
Ive never been to San Francisco or the Bay Area so I wouldnt know about that city about the neighborhoods or ghetto's there or anything like that.

I think there is a generally a big intolerance in Nebraska who disagree with the some of the aspects of this state and how things operate. I do think that Nebraska being as provincial as it is has this problem to evaulate their state in an unbiased manner also.

I think Omaha needs to take a step back and wonder how their cities per-capita are well below Rochester (Minnesota), Sioux Falls, Fargo and Minneapolis per-capita incomes. Rather then blame the person passing on statistics from the Census.

Here is another indication of how Omaha and Lincoln are falling behind compared to other plains cities.

Bureau of Labor Statistics data:
www.bls.gov
June 2001-January 2007 MSA

Omaha
June 2001: 452,500 employed
January 2007: 456,900 employed
employment growth: 4,400
Thats just over 1% in 5 1/2 years

Lincoln
June 2001: 168,100 employed
January 2007: 168,600
employment growth: 500
1/3% employment growth in 5 1/2 years

Sioux Falls
June 2001: 120,900 employed
January 2007: 128,900 employeed
employment growth: 8,000
7% employment growth in 5 years

Fargo
June 2001: 103,600
January 2007: 116,000
employment growth: 12,400
thats 12% employment growth in 5 1/2 years

Des Moines
June 2001: 301,400
January 2007: 313,800
Thats 4% employment growth in 5 1/2 years

I dont understand why Omahans have a deeply ingrained superiority complex that they basically have a mental block for anything that they disagree with.
One again this is the reason why i think Omaha is falling behind principle cities in other states on per-capita income and economic growth.

Last edited by MattDen; 03-11-2007 at 05:44 AM..

Old 03-11-2007, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattDen View Post
Ive never been to San Francisco or the Bay Area so I wouldnt know about that city about the neighborhoods or ghetto's there or anything like that.

I think there is a generally a big intolerance in Nebraska who disagree with the some of the aspects of this state and how things operate. I do think that Nebraska being as provincial as it is has this problem to evaulate their state in an unbiased manner also.

I think Omaha needs to take a step back and wonder how their cities per-capita are well below Rochester (Minnesota), Sioux Falls, Fargo and Minneapolis per-capita incomes. Rather then blame the person passing on statistics from the Census.

Here is another indication of how Omaha and Lincoln are falling behind compared to other plains cities.

Bureau of Labor Statistics data:
www.bls.gov
June 2001-January 2007 MSA

Omaha
June 2001: 452,500 employed
January 2007: 456,900 employed
employment growth: 4,400
Thats just over 1% in 5 1/2 years

Lincoln
June 2001: 168,100 employed
January 2007: 168,600
employment growth: 500
1/3% employment growth in 5 1/2 years

Sioux Falls
June 2001: 120,900 employed
January 2007: 128,900 employeed
employment growth: 8,000
7% employment growth in 5 years

Fargo
June 2001: 103,600
January 2007: 116,000
thats 12% employment growth in 5 1/2 years

Des Moines
June 2001: 301,400
January 2007: 313,800
Thats 4% employment growth in 5 1/2 years

I dont understand why Omahans have a deeply ingrained superiority complex that they basically have a mental block for anything that they disagree with.
One again this is the reason why i think Omaha is falling behind principle cities in other states on per-capita income and economic growth.

Mattden, it's not what you post... it is what you post and say about it...
Like this data... Omaha hit the snag that the majority of the US hit in the recession and lost some jobs and then from 2005 and on, the city has been increasing quite rapidly in job growth and according to this site Omaha nearly gained 2% in employment growth from jan06-dec06

http://www.accessomaha.com/pdf/indicators/2007/indicator-Feb-07.pdf (broken link)

and here is information from the bureau of labor statistics:

http://data.bls.gov/PDQ/servlet/Surv...tool=%22EaG%22

I am not at all concerned about the future of this city, just because it hit a recession with the rest of the country, call me intolerant because I know this city is doing well and that I do not think what your thinking mattden... Omaha is doing fine....

Old 03-11-2007, 06:57 AM

Forbes Magazine ranked Omaha 15th overall for jobs, 32nd highest in median household income, 17th in unemployment, 12th in cost of living rank 55th in job growth out of all the metros in the nation...

Says Forbes (2/15/07) http://www.forbes.com/2007/02/15/bes...ml&partner=rss

Complete rankings here: http://www.forbes.com/home/2007/02/1...obs_table.html

This is a completely different picture than the wiltered flower picture you paint....

Old 03-11-2007, 07:09 AM

673 posts, read 4,070,999 times
Omaha is doing fine for the wealthy who control the city hall thats for sure.
Omaha though beyond the recipients of the mayor and city councils goodie bag for their ultra-rich friends is in very grim shape.

Besides being from where I am from I grew up in a city where we have very strong neighborhoods that take pride in their community and knows the definition of neighborhood rather then being a title on a planning map. I just am from a city that values different characteristics then Omaha. Im sure Omaha serves its purpose for some people, mainly the city is a property tax machine which goes to elected politicians who are just there to pamper their best business friends.

As far as capital projects go the convention center has been a massive failure which has to be payed for out of the cities general funds, the 16th street is a complete mess and the Old Market cant even rival the Haymarket in Lincoln and I am not impressed with the Haymarket by any stretch but it still has more activity and people down there. I guess the one good thing though is the large new devolopment near Turner Park, but despite that large amounts of East Omaha are in very rough shape and the city seems be asleep at the wheel on being aggressive on redevolopment or at least improving the quality of life there.

The employment has increased by just over 1% in 5 1/2 years and the per-capita income in Omaha is well below that of Sioux Falls and Fargo. The poverty rate is higher then the national average also but those renters in poverty are being victimized by the city of Omaha extremely high property tax rates that are figured into rents.

Downtown Omaha goes to sleep at 5pm and all weekend long and even though I live in Lincoln I see absolutely no need to go up there because other then nice suburban lifestyle centers, the cultural amenities and downtown do not interest me in the slightest.

I think a vast majority lives in illuusion that their city is doing well, they have some neighborhoods that have stabilized which is good but economically on per-capita income and job growth numbers its a very grim picture.

Last edited by MattDen; 03-11-2007 at 07:29 AM..

Old 03-11-2007, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattDen View Post
Omaha is doing fine for the wealthy who control the city hall thats for sure.
Omaha though beyond the recipients of the mayor and city councils goodie bag for their ultra-rich friends is in very grim shape.

As far as capital projects go the convention center has been a massive failure which has to be payed for out of the cities general funds, the 16th street is a complete mess and the Old Market cant even rival the Haymarket in Lincoln and I am not impressed with the Haymarket by any stretch but it still has more activity and people down there.

The employment has increased by just over 1% in 5 1/2 years and the per-capita income in Omaha is well below that of Sioux Falls and Fargo. The poverty rate is higher then the national average also but those renters in poverty are being victimized by the city of Omaha extremely high property tax rates that are figured into rents.

Downtown Omaha goes to sleep at 5pm and all weekend long and even though I live in Lincoln I see absolutely no need to go up there because other then suburban lifestyle centers, the cultural amenities and downtown do not interest me in the slightest.

I think a vast majority lives in illuusion that their city is doing well, they have some neighborhoods that have stabilized which is good but economically on per-capita income and job growth numbers its a very grim picture.

But yet Mattden, Money magazine ranks Omaha the number 7 best place to live in 2006

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/money...bigcities.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska