Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 04:44 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,684,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
Actually, this isn't true.
While it is true that it's still pretty standard to sell all rights with the property, it's becoming increasingly common to retain mineral rights, in particular. Especially out in the panhandle where gas and oil are found.

~Erin
Thanks, Erin... I was told by my realtor that it wasn't permitted by the State of NE for the seller to retain any rights when property was sold. Guess they were not as informed as you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 08:20 AM

2,707 posts, read 6,231,372 times
Like I said, it's not as common, yet. Your realtor probably just hadn't run into it.
But there's nothing more valuable than plain old water under the ground in your area, either, and it's abundant.

In mine though, and further into the panhandle, they have oil and gas and it's not at all unusual to see land for sale with retained, or partially retained, mineral rights...

Old 09-23-2009, 10:04 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,862,231 times
In Nebraska, Kansas and Colorado mineral rights can be retained by the seller or sold. This has been the law and prctice in those three states for Mineral rights going back to the late 1800's.

Water rights in Colorado have been completely different that the laws in KS and NE. Although KS and NE are falling in line with Colorado in water rights. Drilling new irrigation or commercial water welss in all three of those states is becoming an issue. Even drilling for new domestic wells is becoming more difficult in KS and NE and very difficult in certain areas in CO.

Grandfathered water in Colorado is worth as much as Gold in places.

GL2

Old 09-28-2009, 05:43 AM

947 posts, read 3,571,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1215 View Post
NB used to be the abbreviation for Nebraska - I grew up with that.

Look for posts on this forum by SCGranny - she made a move to Nebraska and I think a lot of what you are looking for is what she found - she's up around the Cody area (west of Valentine)... do a search on her name in the Nebraska forum for posts in the last few months - I think you'll get your answer.

But, yes you can.
SCGranny is da bomb, a very well thought out, intelligent lady... definately read up on what she has said in the past and follow her current posts. Not only does she have good ideas, she's great to discuss things with and she's plain ole' good people from what I can tell

Old 09-28-2009, 05:52 AM

947 posts, read 3,571,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natepickle View Post
Hello,

My family and I have been through a hell-of-a year, 2 major surgeries and a job loss. We have come to realize that the most important things through all of this is family and quality of life.

We are hoping to find an area that will allow us to buy a inexpensive peace of dirt and put a mobile home on it until we buid the house. We would like to find a place to grow veggies, the kids can play in the yard.

Snow is great.

Do y'all have any thoughts if NB is a fit for us
On a very basic generic level, it sounds like NE would fit yuo. It's a good place to raise a family if you find the right combination of good town-education-work-neighborss and an area that "attracts" you to it.

You'll know when you find a place, it'll just "feel right" that being said.

How much land are you looking for? Do you want a small, very rural town.. something a little bigger... something even bigger like Lincoln or what? How mcuh are you looking to spend? What kinda services do you need? What kind of jobs are you looknig for?

Think about that and let us know, it'll help us come up with a few dieas for you

Old 10-03-2009, 03:36 PM

79 posts, read 226,291 times
Is there alot for kids to do?
Are there hills around to snow sled on?
What about tornadoes, the economy, firendly people?

I say friendly people because I grew up at the coast of NC and we had always invited people over for dinner, wasnt a need to call just drop in. We moved to massanutten Va, Alor of people from the northeast and they dont like to go out of their way to get to know you. The locals consider us outsiders so that is that. Are the folks out there friendly?

Jim

Old 10-04-2009, 10:35 AM

3,340 posts, read 9,685,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natepickle View Post
Is there alot for kids to do?
Are there hills around to snow sled on?
What about tornadoes, the economy, firendly people?

I say friendly people because I grew up at the coast of NC and we had always invited people over for dinner, wasnt a need to call just drop in. We moved to massanutten Va, Alor of people from the northeast and they dont like to go out of their way to get to know you. The locals consider us outsiders so that is that. Are the folks out there friendly?

Jim
1. Yes, plenty of parks, pools, church groups, and sports leagues.

2. In Omaha at least, BIG TIME.

3. Tornadoes are rare, the economy is still pretty good here and people are friendly to new comers in the cities at least and as for the small towns it varies from town to town and how you act as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska