Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 02:03 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times

Advertisements

I'm happy for Reno and sad for Vegas. We need decent paying jobs more than anything else here! We have more than enough terminally cheap employers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2014, 02:08 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,805,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I'm happy for Reno and sad for Vegas. We need decent paying jobs more than anything else here! We have more than enough terminally cheap employers!
Actually not true. LV household income is quite good. Competitive with Phoenix, Dallas and many other places. I would not expect any big factories here though. Culinary would make that a difficult call.

Old 09-03-2014, 02:13 PM

3,121 posts, read 3,096,975 times
Congrats to Nevada!

I'm just glad that it wasn't Texas.

Old 09-03-2014, 03:14 PM

499 posts, read 1,059,867 times
Great news for Nevada!

Old 09-03-2014, 04:19 PM

35 posts, read 111,956 times
Musk is a genius and Tesla is a very cool company. That's really good for Nevada even if it is Reno. Now if they could only get their prices down a bit, then I might consider actually buying a Tesla.

Old 09-03-2014, 04:45 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Actually not true. LV household income is quite good. Competitive with Phoenix, Dallas and many other places. I would not expect any big factories here though. Culinary would make that a difficult call.
How long has it been since you looked for a job here? There are lots of jobs. Few pay more than $10/12 per hour.

Old 09-03-2014, 04:48 PM

3,598 posts, read 4,949,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigglesnap View Post
Musk is a genius and Tesla is a very cool company. That's really good for Nevada even if it is Reno. Now if they could only get their prices down a bit, then I might consider actually buying a Tesla.
Tesla already has new, cheaper models coming soon and this gigafactory will cement Tesla as the leader of car battery technology for many years to come.

Old 09-03-2014, 05:08 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
Ahhhhh, rumors in the internet age, nearly as fast as the speed of light...

As previously reported, Tesla broke ground on a speculative site near Reno in June, and has been pouring concrete there, so IF this rumor turns out to be true... we can all find out at 4pm local time Thursday, when the Governor makes his Press Release, with Tesla representatives in attendance... it's most likely to be happening for Reno, wouldn't you think?

One key step is still necessary to seal the deal, according to the experts... a huge incentive package that will require a special session of the legislature to make happen.

Here's a couple of the "news" stories...

Quote:
Tesla Motors Inc. (TSLA), which has broken ground on a potential site in Nevada for its planned massive battery factory, will proceed with building the first such facility there, said two people familiar with the matter.

Representatives from the electric-car maker led by billionaire entrepreneur Elon Musk are to attend an event with Nevada Governor Brian Sandoval set for 4 p.m. local time tomorrow in Carson City, Tesla spokesman Simon Sproule said in a phone interview. He declined to confirm whether Musk would attend or elaborate on what will be announced. Tesla said in August that it began preparation work at a site near Reno.
Tesla Said to Select Nevada for Its First Battery Site - Bloomberg
CNN Money says Tesla is going to Nevada
Tesla, Nevada governor to announce a big deal - Sep. 4, 2014

Last edited by OpenD; 09-03-2014 at 06:07 PM..

Old 09-03-2014, 05:10 PM

1,596 posts, read 2,812,265 times
Congrats, Nevada. The state economic development team behind this deal deserves major credit. They lobbied hard against intense competition and came out on top.

Bill

Old 09-03-2014, 05:19 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,805,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
How long has it been since you looked for a job here? There are lots of jobs. Few pay more than $10/12 per hour.
When I came to LV I used to make a few hundred grand a year as an engineering executive. That was no longer possible as I was too burned out to do it well anymore...but I was still a very capable engineer...$150K maybe for pure techie. However at 55 I believed there was no possiblity of getting hired unless I stayed in LA and even then it was doubtful. So I laid off for a few years and then decided I needed to do something and, given the local climate, selling real estate sounded rational. That was to avoid the $10 or $12 an hour.

Note that our steel mill - the strip - pays more than $12 an hour and has full benefits. Unfortunately that is no help to those of us who are "mature".

On average though the younger do pretty well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada