Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2015, 05:22 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,861,803 times

Advertisements

Uber picks up on level 2M at terminal one. I flew in yesterday to bring my wife's Lexus back to California. I took the Westcliff airport express to the transit center, then a $10.34 Uber ride to our house in the Lakes. With tip that was about $17, compared to about $90 for a car service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2015, 10:37 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,589,552 times
I didn't think you tipped Uber drivers am I wrong?

Old 12-30-2015, 01:04 AM

2,122 posts, read 1,794,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packrat1 View Post
Tips aren't included in your Uber ride, although that was the impression that was given when Uber started, so if you would like to tip your driver you should. I believe that the company policy is that the driver should refuse it at first but can accept a tip if you insist and the tip must be in cash. Lyft on the other hand includes a tipping feature as part of the app, so you don't have to worry about having cash on you.

Old 12-30-2015, 01:46 AM

3,683 posts, read 9,861,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packrat1 View Post
Uber states that "tipping is not necessary". There is also no feature in the app to add a tip, so you have to use cash. Uber drivers complain that many interpret that as "tipping is not allowed" rather than "tipping is optional".

I choose to give them a tip whenever I use them. Uber drivers get to rate their passengers, and if your rating is low from you repeatedly being a dick to your Uber driver, you might find it hard to get a ride or even get kicked off the system.

I also heard from my driver that both passengers and drivers are dissatisfied with Uber on the strip, due to the lack of staging areas. This means that it's taking much longer for drivers to get to their pick-ups, with passengers either cancelling rides or giving their drivers low ratings due to being late. All it would take is more realistic pickup times in the app and most would be happy.

Old 12-30-2015, 02:21 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,626,581 times
Little bit of an "insider" update as far as the cab side of things go...

1. Dear God almighty, the Uber/Lyft drivers need to figure out what they're doing. Lots of double parking during drop offs and pick ups... Very sloppy and amateurish. Many properties have a designed area for Uber and Lyft (Aria, Monte Carlo, Vdara, Flamingo just to name a few) and yet they still can't figure it out. The natural flow throughout strip properties and streets is being disrupted big time. Whenever someone was being a tool behind the wheel, I used to look for a California plate (sorry former Cali residents, but you know it's true)... Now I just look for the black U or pink Lyft sticker. It's bad... But that is what you get throwing a ton of soccer moms and hipster guys down there who don't know the properties at all. There HAS to be better awareness of others and consideration from these folk.

2. Taxis dominate the strip/downtown/airport still. I get a lot of passengers that use Uber/Lyft regularly... But many of them tell me it doesn't make sense for them to do so in our touristy locations because when you walk outside we (the cabs) are already there waiting.

3. Lots of Uber/Lyft at McCarran. When I pick up at the airport, I prefer Terminal 3... Now I don't know if the app drivers have more than one waiting area, but there are a LOT of app drivers parked at the airport when I go now. At times, I've seen probably close to 80-100 cars over there hanging out. So if there's 80 blips on the hailing app in one spot and they're just waiting around hoping to be picked by a random passenger... And when they do finally get picked, the fares are supposedly cheaper... How are they making any money?? That's what I don't understand... There is no guarantee you get picked. As a driver, at least I know at the end of the line, there will be a ride waiting for me. That would stress me out just looking at my phone and hoping all the time.

4. The doormen/valet guys hate it. This kinda goes hand in hand with point no 1 in that a large portion of app drivers don't know how to properly pick up and drop off... Or drive in general... But also in the fact that bypassing doormen equals less singles being handed out by tourists.

That's about all for now. The good cabbies (honest and not lazy sitting at buffets all morning) are still making money. None of us are happy when they authorize the release of more medallions... That is just stupid... But we are still making money. Today essentially marks the end of the slow season for us (worst months are Nov, Dec) so it is kind of hard to tell how big of an effect the apps have had on us since it is slow anyways. New Years is huge for us... As is CES, which are basically back to back. So we will see how this week goes.

With that, enjoy New Years everybody... Make it a safe one and leave the driving to someone else if you've had a few, taxi or otherwise.

Old 12-30-2015, 03:36 AM

2,122 posts, read 1,794,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas_Cabbie View Post
Little bit of an "insider" update as far as the cab side of things go...

1. Dear God almighty, the Uber/Lyft drivers need to figure out what they're doing. Lots of double parking during drop offs and pick ups... Very sloppy and amateurish. Many properties have a designed area for Uber and Lyft (Aria, Monte Carlo, Vdara, Flamingo just to name a few) and yet they still can't figure it out. The natural flow throughout strip properties and streets is being disrupted big time. Whenever someone was being a tool behind the wheel, I used to look for a California plate (sorry former Cali residents, but you know it's true)... Now I just look for the black U or pink Lyft sticker. It's bad... But that is what you get throwing a ton of soccer moms and hipster guys down there who don't know the properties at all. There HAS to be better awareness of others and consideration from these folk.
I would think that this would get better with time. You are talking about something that has only been in place for a few months. While I have seen the separate staging areas, I only came upon them by accident. The last time I was in Vegas, ride sharing had just started and there weren't any signs within the properties that directed people to the staging areas and the app just tells the passengers to go the staging area without clear directions for someone that is not familiar with the area. If a driver isn't familiar with the inside of the property to say go out X door by X landmark, I can see how it's just easier to say meet me at a easily identified place.

Quote:

2. Taxis dominate the strip/downtown/airport still. I get a lot of passengers that use Uber/Lyft regularly... But many of them tell me it doesn't make sense for them to do so in our touristy locations because when you walk outside we (the cabs) are already there waiting.
This make sense. Other than the ease of paying with the app/no credit card fee and the occasional ride discounts, there doesn't seem to be a good reason to use Uber/Lyft if you are staying in the touristy areas. But from what I remember the people who seemed the most excited for Uber and Lyft were the locals who weren't being serviced well by the cab companies.

Quote:

3. Lots of Uber/Lyft at McCarran. When I pick up at the airport, I prefer Terminal 3... Now I don't know if the app drivers have more than one waiting area, but there are a LOT of app drivers parked at the airport when I go now. At times, I've seen probably close to 80-100 cars over there hanging out. So if there's 80 blips on the hailing app in one spot and they're just waiting around hoping to be picked by a random passenger... And when they do finally get picked, the fares are supposedly cheaper... How are they making any money?? That's what I don't understand... There is no guarantee you get picked. As a driver, at least I know at the end of the line, there will be a ride waiting for me. That would stress me out just looking at my phone and hoping all the time.
From my experience it is the driver that picks the passenger or it's the system that pairs you up. When I have used Uber or Lyft, I just let the app know where I want to be picked up and where I am going and then I just wait for notification that the driver is on the way. If anything, I think that airport pick up may be the first place taxi drivers will see the effect of Uber and Lyft. One of the biggest warnings people get about taking a cab is getting long hauled from the airport, I have been hearing about that problem from the moment the tunnel opened. Other than telling passengers that they should know what is happening to them and it is up to them to make a complaint, there has been little done to warn passengers about the problem. The only effective thing I have seen is the posting of estimated fares to the most common destinations and that is only a few years old. As more people become aware that Uber and Lyft can pick up at the airport you'll see less drivers waiting around.

Quote:

4. The doormen/valet guys hate it. This kinda goes hand in hand with point no 1 in that a large portion of app drivers don't know how to properly pick up and drop off... Or drive in general... But also in the fact that bypassing doormen equals less singles being handed out by tourists.
Not surprising, the status quo is changing, Like you said this goes hand in hand with #1. I think as the strip pick up process becomes more efficient there will be ways for them to get into the tipping stream. I could imagine tipping a doorman that pointed me directly to my car rather than having to look around for the car on my own.

Quote:

That's about all for now. The good cabbies (honest and not lazy sitting at buffets all morning) are still making money. None of us are happy when they authorize the release of more medallions... That is just stupid... But we are still making money. .
This is probably the best news about the effect Uber and Lyft has had on the taxi industry. I think that the bad drivers combined with ignoring the needs of the locals were the main reasons why many felt that Uber was needed in Vegas. Even if bad cabbies are the minority they are the ones that people will talk about when they get back home. Now that they can't can rely on the protection of the monopoly they will either be forced to change the way they work or they will have to find another job, either way it will benefit passengers and other good cabbies

Old 12-30-2015, 09:48 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,626,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellymdnv View Post
I would think that this would get better with time. You are talking about something that has only been in place for a few months. While I have seen the separate staging areas, I only came upon them by accident. The last time I was in Vegas, ride sharing had just started and there weren't any signs within the properties that directed people to the staging areas and the app just tells the passengers to go the staging area without clear directions for someone that is not familiar with the area. If a driver isn't familiar with the inside of the property to say go out X door by X landmark, I can see how it's just easier to say meet me at a easily identified place.

This make sense. Other than the ease of paying with the app/no credit card fee and the occasional ride discounts, there doesn't seem to be a good reason to use Uber/Lyft if you are staying in the touristy areas. But from what I remember the people who seemed the most excited for Uber and Lyft were the locals who weren't being serviced well by the cab companies.

From my experience it is the driver that picks the passenger or it's the system that pairs you up. When I have used Uber or Lyft, I just let the app know where I want to be picked up and where I am going and then I just wait for notification that the driver is on the way. If anything, I think that airport pick up may be the first place taxi drivers will see the effect of Uber and Lyft. One of the biggest warnings people get about taking a cab is getting long hauled from the airport, I have been hearing about that problem from the moment the tunnel opened. Other than telling passengers that they should know what is happening to them and it is up to them to make a complaint, there has been little done to warn passengers about the problem. The only effective thing I have seen is the posting of estimated fares to the most common destinations and that is only a few years old. As more people become aware that Uber and Lyft can pick up at the airport you'll see less drivers waiting around.

Not surprising, the status quo is changing, Like you said this goes hand in hand with #1. I think as the strip pick up process becomes more efficient there will be ways for them to get into the tipping stream. I could imagine tipping a doorman that pointed me directly to my car rather than having to look around for the car on my own.

This is probably the best news about the effect Uber and Lyft has had on the taxi industry. I think that the bad drivers combined with ignoring the needs of the locals were the main reasons why many felt that Uber was needed in Vegas. Even if bad cabbies are the minority they are the ones that people will talk about when they get back home. Now that they can't can rely on the protection of the monopoly they will either be forced to change the way they work or they will have to find another job, either way it will benefit passengers and other good cabbies
I can't speak for other drivers, but I think Uber/Lyft coming here has actually helped me personally thus far.
Some of the cabbies have switched over to driving for one of the Apps, which makes my seniority climb faster. More seniority in the cab biz means better shifts in a better, newer vehicle. That then translates to better tips. If you're forced to drive people in a clunker with 270,000 miles, you definitely see it refect negatively on your tips over time. Drive em in a cab with 50,000 miles and they will be more comfortable and happy.

It has also made the locals happier with LV's transit situation. They deserve reliable services. I hope that they can see both sides of the coin here. We want to stay where the more consistent money is (tourist zones) and they deserve transportation. If they want to hate on the longhaul guys, hey, more power to em... but don't hate us because we like staying where the money is.

I think the airport will continue to be dominated by the cabs for quite some time to come. Again, the airport is a case of the drivers waiting on the passengers nine times out of ten. Typically when there is a line for people waiting for rides, that lines moves very quickly as they load cabs up 20 at a time. We can do these shifts of 20 about once every two minutes. My average load is 2-2.5 persons... sometimes people alone, sometimes packs of four. So we are moving approximately 40-50 people every two minutes when the waiting line is full. Very efficient.

We've had some pretty cold nights lately and it cracks me up when I see people stand outside all by themselves with their phone out waiting for the Uber car to show up. For as much as the Uber fans tote the convenience factor around, I gotta say the logic is a bit ass backwards at times.

Old 12-30-2015, 11:51 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,144,915 times
Pacquiao vs. Bradley April 9 2016 at the MGM..., another big night for the drivers.

Old 12-30-2015, 03:14 PM

15,850 posts, read 14,479,382 times
I think a lot of the people who'll pick Uber/Lyft over standard taxis will be customers of those services in other cities visiting Vegas. Once you get used to using them, it may just become habit.

Old 01-01-2016, 01:33 PM
AV8

17 posts, read 18,007 times
Used Ãœber twice last night. The priced doubled from 6-10pm but it was still cheaper than a DUI ! The first car was a Cadillac with phone chargers and mints(nice touch) the second was a KIA and was also clean. Overall a much more pleasant experience than taking a cab. They were also running specials $17 to the strip and $23 to the airport from Summerlin, a great value in my eyes. I gave both drivers a cash gratuity as they were pleasant on time and safe. I'm very pleased as a local that Ãœber is an option and will continue to utilize their service. I currently intend to never use a cab in Las Vegas again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada