Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 07:10 AM

5 posts, read 59,449 times

Advertisements

I don't know how I missed your post, Scirocco, but I overlooked it. My comment didn't relate to the cost of living as I have not visited Pahrump. I just know of it from the news when we lived in Henderson.
I was just saying how nice it is to live in Mesquite. The homes in our development are selling great because the new house prices took a huge drop last year. But I don't know what Pahrump offers and didn't mean to imply that I did. Liz F.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2008, 05:02 PM

7 posts, read 68,923 times
knowing southern Nevada well, if you are a retiree I would definatly choose mesquite. Pahrump is lower class......

Old 03-29-2008, 05:22 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,208,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindra3434 View Post
knowing southern Nevada well, if you are a retiree I would definatly choose mesquite. Pahrump is lower class......
Now that was not nice. Stand in the corner and repeat 50 times..."I am sorry I am an effete snob"

Pahrump is rural, cowboy, libertarian and maybe a little redneck. But if you like rural you may well like Pahrump.

Mesquite tends to be Las Vegas suburb moved to a little cheaper location.

Old 03-29-2008, 10:58 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,050,998 times
I still say it's "relatively" expensive to live in Mesquite compared to other locations in southern Nevada.

Oh, and the reason I first stated that, Liz, is that the OP specifically asked for an inexpensive area.

Old 04-06-2008, 08:26 AM

jfitt- Your questions are best answered at Sun City Mesquite.

The master planned development called Anthem, will be made up of more than one community of homes. We moved to the first one being built now, Sun City Mesquite. It must have one member of the household 55 or better. There are different ways to do this. Some couples buy before they are 55. They don't move in until one of them is 55. But there will be all age parts to this master plan. I don't know just when the next community will be started, but a search on the web should pull up news articles on this. Also there is a lot of information on the web site I gave you. Good luck.

I don't check in here too frequently, sorry I took so long to answer. Liz

Old 04-06-2008, 08:58 AM

Scirocco22- Please put some numbers with 'inexpensive'. I think you are talking mainly about the price of housing aren't you. Do you want new construction or a used house?

There are many reasons a place is called a "retirement area". Good weather, proximity to good entertainment, nice restaurants, airports, etc. What do you want?

For us it was good weather. The good weather areas for seniors seems to be right now mostly in the Southwestern US. We looked all over southern Arizona and most of the areas we looked at were all about the same in cost. 10 years ago when we retired, Pahrump had no senior developments. I don't think they do yet. Many retirees want to be around others their age for many reasons. We wanted the convenience in finding doctors, hospitals, stores, etc. Nevada does not have a state income tax. We lived for a while in Utah, but the taxes were very high for us and we returned to Nevada. You have to look at what is 'inexpensive' to you.

Del Webb isn't the only community in Mesquite. It is the newest and the only one restricted just to seniors. There are other housing types here, i.e., manufactured homes, apartments, condos, etc. What price are you talking about when you say inexpensive?

Liz

Old 04-06-2008, 10:13 AM

Exactly, Liz. You're right, we definitely have to define "inexpensive."

I find Mesquite "more" expensive than Pahrump in more ways than just housing. Other things that play into that are taxes, utilities, fuel, and entertainment costs, etc.

Yes, I agree that Mesquite's "quality of life" is better for a retiree than Pahrump. It has much better medical facilities and better support services for seniors. It is much more attractive than Pahrump for a retiree, period.

However, more expensive.

So we have to ask the OP what THEY mean by "inexpensive."

Old 04-06-2008, 11:02 AM

I have to chuckle here. I haven't been to Pahrump and it is even in a different county than Mesquite. When we lived in Henderson, near Vegas, we were in Clark County. It is a large county in the way of population, and includes Vegas. Since we are still in Clark county here in Mesquite, that dictates the property tax, sales tax and other tax bases. From what I have heard Nye County takes up more rural areas and not highly populated areas. Since I haven't been to Pahrump I cannot provide anything more than I have. We live in Mesquite and love it. We live in a "Senior" development and love it. I wouldn't change and move to Pahrump no matter what the cost. Part of why we like a place to live is the people it attracts. Mesquite attracts people just like us. You each have to find your own place. If you do it only on a cost comparison and not pay any attention to whoever or whatever else is attracted there just be sure you will be happy there.

Since I have no more to offer, I am going to bow out now. I gave my opinion of Mesquite and that is all I can do. You've got a good thread going here. Enjoy it. Bye. Liz

Old 04-06-2008, 01:50 PM

Don't disappear entirely, though, Liz. Keep promoting Mesquite.

Old 04-15-2008, 01:36 PM

7 posts, read 68,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Now that was not nice. Stand in the corner and repeat 50 times..."I am sorry I am an effete snob"

Pahrump is rural, cowboy, libertarian and maybe a little redneck. But if you like rural you may well like Pahrump.

Mesquite tends to be Las Vegas suburb moved to a little cheaper location.

I'm finally moving out of here (pahrump) in 3 weeks everyone I talk to here in town, when I tell them I'm moving they say "good for you, glad to see someone is getting out"
Thats my opinion of this place I lived here for 13 years and I'm entitled to it. this is a terrible place to raise a kid and every other person I meet my age is hooked on drugs!!!! Good bye Pahrump!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada