Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2016, 10:29 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,117,601 times

Advertisements

Name one kid that has ever died from thc. Just one.
Name one adult that has died of thc. Just one.

The fact is the amount needed to die is more than you can consume, unlike water, which can kill you with as little as a gallon. I drink 1-1.5 gallons a day...

Rich whites do benefit from the legalization, but that has more to do with institutionalized racism than the drug itself. That's like complaining about cars sucking because dealerships have a monopoly on the sale of them.
Cars suck because government regulations and accountant's penny pinching, not because dealerships also suck.

As far as the black market goes, as long as the majority of states still criminalize drugs, of course there is going to be a black market. Need all 50 states to legalize all drugs to get rid of the black market and even then, people are still going to try to make money. People drive to states with lower taxes, buy up cigarettes, and take them back to places like NY with high taxes. Government interference causes black markets, not the products.

Yeah, cash is a problem, maybe if our irresponsible government would legalize drugs, banks would start taking the money so it's not stuffed in mattresses and safes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2016, 11:15 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,995,060 times
i want it here..... why? i don't and won't smoke it... the housing prices will rise dramatically... then i will sell...

Old 10-04-2016, 11:18 PM

23,219 posts, read 29,044,905 times
The black market will continue if the price is too high. I believe, for medical marijuana, NV hiked the price to $22 a gram, tied with AZ for the highest gram rates in the country. And, if I recall, it was around $17 a gram in CA.

God only knows what the price will be for recreational marijuana. And the black marketeers are praying it will be high enough to keep them in business.

Ex-hippie here who smoked too much of it back in the late 60's/early 70's, I have little desire to smoke it, now in my 60's, but I'm voting for it from the standpoint of fewer people being incarcerated, reduction in prison costs. It astounds me that they arrest people for it, as I recall the anti-Vietnam gatherings, at City Hall in Rochester, MN, where we'd sit on the lawn and smoke dope right in front of the police, and no arrests!

Now! If they ever legalize LSD, Peyote, Mescaline (my favorite drugs of my hippy days), then off on "space trips" I go! A good LSD trip can keep you happy for 7-8 hours! The problem with marijuana was I had little energy the next day, and it left me slightly depressed, whereas with LSD I was jam-packed with energy the next day and happy, happy for days afterwards. With LSD, once a month, is all that's needed!

Last edited by tijlover; 10-04-2016 at 11:27 PM..

Old 10-04-2016, 11:24 PM

792 posts, read 1,302,044 times
I think what I said was "accidental ingestion" and never mentioned the word dying. The potential problems I referenced came straight from the mouth of a Denver politician...when reviewing in hind site some of the negative effects evidenced to date.

Old 10-04-2016, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
The black market will continue if the price is too high. I believe, for medical marijuana, NV hiked the price to $22 a gram, tied with AZ for the highest gram rates in the country. And, if I recall, it was around $17 a gram in CA.

God only knows what the price will be for recreational marijuana. And the black marketeers are praying it will be high enough to keep them in business.

Ex-hippie here who smoked too much of it back in the late 60's/early 70's, I have little desire to smoke it, now in my 60's, but I'm voting for it from the standpoint of fewer people being incarcerated, reduction in prison costs. It astounds me that they arrest people for it, as I recall the anti-Vietnam gatherings, at City Hall in Rochester, MN, where we'd sit on the lawn and smoke dope right in front of the police, and no arrests!

Now! If they ever legalize LSD, Peyote, Mescaline (my favorite drugs of my hippy days), then off on "space trips" I go! A good LSD trip can keep you happy for 7-8 hours! The problem with marijuana was I had little energy the next day, and it left me slightly depressed, whereas with LSD I was jam-packed with energy the next day and happy, happy for days afterwards. With LSD, once a month, is all that's needed!
TJ....ya gotta zip it...too much information...you are destroying all that senior credibility with the facts..

Old 10-04-2016, 11:43 PM
EA

The adverse effects of accidental ingestion are laughter, munchies, and talking funny. They'll be fine.

Old 10-05-2016, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
The adverse effects of accidental ingestion are laughter, munchies, and talking funny. They'll be fine.
I doubt you would take that so lightly if that were your 6 or 7 year old kid...do a little research on the subject and get back to me !

Old 10-05-2016, 12:40 AM

23,219 posts, read 29,044,905 times
In the mail today I received a pamphlet by the Protecting Nevada's Children PAC/Don't Let It Happen Here, concerning Ballot #2. Here we go:

"Colorado legalized recreational marijuana 2 years ago.....since then ER visits for young children have Doubled!"

"#Question 2 also legalizes dangerous drug candy."

"A marijuana-laced chocolate bar with 22.5 doses of pot eaten by a young girl....."

"Cookies that look just like the ones Grandma makes........"

"Gummy candies eaten at a teenager's birthday party........."

"The dangerous drug candy will fall into the hands of our children."

I look forward to seeing the next pamphlet, perhaps made up by Adelson! All the tourists that will come to an early end by OD'ing on marijuana!

And the children who got into their parent's or grandparent's medicine cabinets and konked out on Oxycodin?

Old 10-05-2016, 12:40 AM
EA

You mean my kids that have been prescribed drugs with horrific side effects? You mean my kids that have had acetaminophen, which is the leading cause for calls to Poison Control Centers across the US—more than 100,000 instances per year—and, each year, is responsible for: More than 56,000 emergency room visits. 2,600 hospitalizations. An estimated 458 deaths?

See, I have this ability to critically think about things and I actually do just that. I'd rather my kid eat a whole plate of pot brownies than a bottle of readily available over the counter medication any day of the week. Why? The adverse effects of pot are none. The adverse effects of children's Tylenol are liver disease, ulcers, overdosing, and death.

Also, I have no marijuana of any sort in my house and unless someone is diagnosed with something it could treat, there won't be any. But assuming that happens, like an responsible parent, I would keep them locked up where the kids can't get to it like I would guns, liquor, and prescriptions. (Don't have any of those either)

Most of the idiots going to the doctor for pot are either scared (pot makes you paranoid) or for other medical conditions they had but mentioned pot use to their doctor.

Old 10-05-2016, 02:41 AM

2,086 posts, read 6,848,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish4evr View Post
Several problems have surfaced within those areas that recently legalized marijuana, that I think have somehow escaped rational thought:

1. legal sales have actually embellished the black market contrary to what was expected. Because of the costs associated with legal sales, ultimately passed to the consumer, many still avail themselves to the black market strictly based on cost.

2. Racial Disparity: Notice who becomes a licensed dealer, grower. It is not exactually an equal opportunity venture. I think in Colorado 1 black female is the only licensed vendor in over 450 approved vendors within that state. This will become an issue...

3. Accidental Ingestion: Particularly from edible products. The THC content in one cookie could be 10 times that of one joint. Not to mention the packaging, gummy bears...chocolate etc. kids, especially little kids don't know the difference. The argument could be made that it falls back to adult responsibility ...so much for that !

4. Actual determination and definition of impairment as it relates to operation of a motor vehicle, work place safety...etc etc.

5. And last, but by no means least, is the fact that now, this industry is almost strictly a cash basis operation ...and I am talking about lots of cash. That kind of cash, can and does create major security concerns.

You could argue that Obama "said" but until I see it in writing, I have high reservations. Rescheduling that to a class 1 drug, basically eliminated any outside research and development...now alleged to be strictly controlled by the government.

This is not an argument for or against, however there are some very apparent secondary problems that have yet to be addressed and worth consideration.

1. As someone who has been to Denver I can assure you that the prices of recreational product are much lower than street prices. The person that made this statement (I also read the quotes attributed to the CO politician) was referencing seizure amounts. This could have been from people trying to buy quantity in CO and transporting to NE and UT (the most likely scenario) or possibly unlicensed growers (equally likely scenario). I sincerely doubt that people were buying from dispensaries and redistributing around Denver. Why would you buy a $20 gram from someone when you can get it for $10 at the dispensary? Unless you were a minor in which case A. it is a crime to sell to someone under age and B. minors have been getting there hands on cannabis since well before it became a schedule 1 drug in 1970 (had to throw that in there because you keep saying it was recently rescheduled. It was rescheduled 46 years ago).

2. No argument on this one. Corporate America is doing what it has always done, influencing legislation that stacks the deck in it's favor with campaign contributions.

3. The argument could also be made that prior to decriminalization parents did not report accidental ingestion of cannabis as it would mean a trip to the pokey and CPS involvement. Of course the edibles market was nearly nonexistent prior to decrim so there's that. But that's like making the argument that fruity and sweet alcohol drinks attract underage drinkers. As robojester mentioned it's a parenting issue. Whether it's alcohol, cannabis in any form, or opioid painkillers a child getting into your stash is no one's fault but the parents.

4. I agree, but until it is rescheduled there is no reason for the Feds to look into it. This is something that needs to be addressed on a national level and it needs to be done yesterday.

5. I agree with that too. One of the 3 that escaped from the California jail, last year or early this year I think it was, was charged with mayhem. The specifics were that he kidnapped a dispensary owner demanding to know where his cash was at. When the owner didn't tell him he tortured him to include severing his penis.

In general I agree that there will be secondary issues arising from this, but I personally think that the negative is being spun and blown out of proportion in order to influence voting and that the benefits will outweigh the negatives. And even if they aren't, who in this country has the right to tell me how I can kill or cure myself?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada