Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2020, 04:33 PM

46 posts, read 60,558 times

Advertisements

When I say I really mean quiet, like the middle of forest. Maybe it's not possible but what areas in NV would be the closest?

At minimum:
No train noise
No nearby active airports
No regular military or other low-flying aircrafts (nothing against the military, just don't want to live under their training routes)
No hearing loud vehicles constantly (e.g. a lot of small towns are big on motorcycles and loud trucks)
No distant humming noise from industry, (industries are also in rural areas).

Also looking at other states too, especially AZ and UT. Feel free to suggest.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2020, 05:02 PM

783 posts, read 837,179 times
I am assuming you want a city area or near a city, not the top of a mountain in the middle of the desert?

If so, Smith Valley in Lyon County (outside of Gardnerville/Minden towards Topaz Lake) would probably be very quiet and has nice homes on large lots.

When I camp at Lake Lahontan it is deathly quiet, but there are highways you would have to avoid and a military base in Fallon...

While I was camping near Elko, I noticed it was very quiet and there are nice homes in that area, Elko has good infrastructure now that it has grown....

You would want to avoid the Reno area and Las Vegas area for the air traffic probably (not sure about Pahrump)....also some of the commercial flights coming into Reno fly over Dayton and/or Carson City and the Minden valley areas...

Just a warning that rural areas can be loud in their own ways...coyotes packs hunting and howling all night...roosters crowing at O'dark hundred every morning...cows mooing. I have been surprised by this before

Last edited by ChrisMT; 10-16-2020 at 05:31 PM..

Old 10-17-2020, 05:39 PM

2,847 posts, read 4,517,371 times
pahrump might fit the bill for you, especially the outskirts of town. do we have airplanes flying over head? sure do. do we hear them? rarely

depending on what kind of ammenities you require, maybe beatty or amargosa or tonopah might be a better fit.

Old 10-20-2020, 03:11 PM

1,169 posts, read 750,103 times
I live in Smith Valley, Lyon County, NV at the moment. None of the above heard except for the military training route for helicopters from Fallon NAS and the Army National Guard from Reno I think. BUT, I hear them for maybe two minutes once per week at the most. Commutable distance to Carson City for work, Reno too if you don't mind almost 90 minutes each way. Most of the time on my back patio you can hear a mouse fart from the next county.

Anywhere outside of Washoe, Clark or Douglas Counties, or Carson City, away from a major highway qualifies I think. Even Douglas is fairly quiet, though 395 and 88 throw a lot of highway noise even into late evening.

Old 11-21-2020, 06:36 PM

I'll look into Smith Valley. I'm surprised there was no mention of sonic booms since it's still somewhat near Fallon NAS.

I'll also look into Elko.

Old 11-21-2020, 06:42 PM

3,203 posts, read 2,482,566 times
You do not want to live anywhere near Fallon. We were camped near Peterson’s Mill (a really quiet place) when a jet broke the sound barrier right overhead. We thought a bomb went off as it shook our truck camper. That is quite a ways away from Fallon. Maybe near Tonopah? When we have stayed there, we never heard any military planes.

Old 11-22-2020, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPlorer48 View Post
You do not want to live anywhere near Fallon. We were camped near Peterson’s Mill (a really quiet place) when a jet broke the sound barrier right overhead. We thought a bomb went off as it shook our truck camper. That is quite a ways away from Fallon. Maybe near Tonopah? When we have stayed there, we never heard any military planes.
Great info.

Thank you!

Feel free to PM if you have any more suggestions or just want to chat.

Old 11-23-2020, 09:47 AM

1,169 posts, read 750,103 times
No sonic booms or jet noise in Smith Valley from Fallon NAS. Just the very occasional helicopter.

Old 11-23-2020, 12:56 PM

783 posts, read 837,179 times
Fallon can be pretty darn quiet actually.

The military base is 10 miles outside of Fallon and the aircraft don't fly over the city much, they seem to head south. I do not see or hear military aircraft camping at Lahontan either (we camp in the off season), it's so quiet when we camp there it can creep me out...until a boat whizzes by or the wind kicks up...

Now maybe flight patterns have changed lately, but he said it was very quiet when he lived in Fallon. Except for cows...he lived near a ranch

Old 11-25-2020, 02:10 AM

118 posts, read 87,333 times
With cows, wouldn't there be "the smell factor" to worry about? When the winds kick up, the beautiful aroma of cow patties drifting in the air? I bet chickens would be good to live around. Any chicken farms up that a way? I too would like a very quiet place to move to, with no people in at least a one mile radius.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada