Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 01:48 PM

66 posts, read 417,759 times

Advertisements

Here's yet another good reason to beware of Nevada (...if not avoid it altogether). Virtually all of us, from time to time, have to juggle money and/or bill payments to keep going. Well here's a scam that will alert all fair-minded (and logical) people that all is not well in Nevada.

In our case, we started a new job after being unemployed for nearly six months. Just as this new job was begun, we were forced to make a decision as to whether to buy food or pay our monthly auto insurance bill. Obviously, we chose to buy food, knowing the first paycheck would arrive in a week or so and we'd once again pay for auto insurance. We consulted with our insurance company who said they'd have to notify Nevada DMV of our lapse in coverage, as per Nevada statutes. All well and fine.

After the first paycheck arrived, we did indeed resume auto insurance coverage. Nearly two months go by, and we get a knock at the door. It's the mailman with a certified letter from Nevada DMV. The notice stated that in just under three weeks, my auto registration would be suspended unless auto insurance was verified.

When I went to the local DMV to get the facts, they said there would be a whopping $250.00 penalty for having let the auto insurance lapse! Regardless of how long the lapse was, or whether or not an accident and/or ticket had incurred during the lapse! In our case, very little driving was done during this time and no accident or ticket was had. My 95 year old dad would have called this scam "graft". The dictionary describes graft as; [the acquisition of gain or advantage by dishonest, unfair, or sordid means esp. through the abuse of one's position or influence in politics, business, etc.] I think that's a fair assesment of this decidedly harsh and unreasonable statute.

How the "wise and upstanding" members of the Nevada government arrived at this $250.00 penalty fee is another story for another time. The clerk at DMV said this sum would have to be paid in FULL. No extensions. No exceptions. No payment options.

We'll be able, with some difficulty, to pay this "fine". But what about the poor S.O.B.'s (...and we all know there are MANY, nowadays) out there who will hit a financial "brick wall" with this outrageous Nevada vehicle statute? They will be forced to drive, regardless of coverage, to get to and from work, etc. If they get caught; vehicle impounding, driver license suspension...and more costly fines are the result.

One is left to ponder whether or not this is perhaps an insidious way to confiscate citizens vehicles, and/or just another incredibly harsh and insensitive method for the floundering Nevada economy to recoup staggering financial losses over the past few years. If this isn't a classic example of "kicking someone when they're down", I don't know what is.

But let's all be thankful that with forums like this, we can notify others of insensitive, illogical and certainly corrupt practices and statutes in our local and state governments. This is just another in a LONG list of "Nevada negatives" that should warn anyone out there considering making Nevada your home. Do yourself and your family a big favor...avoid Nevada!!

For the sixth straight year in a row Nevada has the dubious distinction of having the nation's highest suicide rate, highest real estate foreclosures, and highest serious crime rates. Nevada is in very serious shape, and apparently has been for some time. I would NOT recommend Nevada as a worthwhile state to live in or invest in. BEWARE OF NEVADA!!

Old 07-01-2008, 04:05 PM

791 posts, read 2,959,405 times
We moved here from another state and out of the blue the dmv sends us a request to verify insurance for a specific time period (although I showed proof of insurance when I registered my cars) anyways they only give you 20 days to respond or your registration is null and void. It's just a way for them to get more money.
Total crap if you ask me.

Old 07-02-2008, 04:03 PM

3,728 posts, read 9,475,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature Guy View Post
Here's yet another good reason to beware of Nevada (...if not avoid it altogether). Virtually all of us, from time to time, have to juggle money and/or bill payments to keep going. Well here's a scam that will alert all fair-minded (and logical) people that all is not well in Nevada.

In our case, we started a new job after being unemployed for nearly six months. Just as this new job was begun, we were forced to make a decision as to whether to buy food or pay our monthly auto insurance bill. Obviously, we chose to buy food, knowing the first paycheck would arrive in a week or so and we'd once again pay for auto insurance. We consulted with our insurance company who said they'd have to notify Nevada DMV of our lapse in coverage, as per Nevada statutes. All well and fine.

After the first paycheck arrived, we did indeed resume auto insurance coverage. Nearly two months go by, and we get a knock at the door. It's the mailman with a certified letter from Nevada DMV. The notice stated that in just under three weeks, my auto registration would be suspended unless auto insurance was verified.

When I went to the local DMV to get the facts, they said there would be a whopping $250.00 penalty for having let the auto insurance lapse! Regardless of how long the lapse was, or whether or not an accident and/or ticket had incurred during the lapse! In our case, very little driving was done during this time and no accident or ticket was had. My 95 year old dad would have called this scam "graft". The dictionary describes graft as; [the acquisition of gain or advantage by dishonest, unfair, or sordid means esp. through the abuse of one's position or influence in politics, business, etc.] I think that's a fair assesment of this decidedly harsh and unreasonable statute.

How the "wise and upstanding" members of the Nevada government arrived at this $250.00 penalty fee is another story for another time. The clerk at DMV said this sum would have to be paid in FULL. No extensions. No exceptions. No payment options.

We'll be able, with some difficulty, to pay this "fine". But what about the poor S.O.B.'s (...and we all know there are MANY, nowadays) out there who will hit a financial "brick wall" with this outrageous Nevada vehicle statute? They will be forced to drive, regardless of coverage, to get to and from work, etc. If they get caught; vehicle impounding, driver license suspension...and more costly fines are the result.

One is left to ponder whether or not this is perhaps an insidious way to confiscate citizens vehicles, and/or just another incredibly harsh and insensitive method for the floundering Nevada economy to recoup staggering financial losses over the past few years. If this isn't a classic example of "kicking someone when they're down", I don't know what is.

But let's all be thankful that with forums like this, we can notify others of insensitive, illogical and certainly corrupt practices and statutes in our local and state governments. This is just another in a LONG list of "Nevada negatives" that should warn anyone out there considering making Nevada your home. Do yourself and your family a big favor...avoid Nevada!!

For the sixth straight year in a row Nevada has the dubious distinction of having the nation's highest suicide rate, highest real estate foreclosures, and highest serious crime rates. Nevada is in very serious shape, and apparently has been for some time. I would NOT recommend Nevada as a worthwhile state to live in or invest in. BEWARE OF NEVADA!!
Oh please, the drama!

I've been here going on 30 years now, and I've had no problems and am enjoying life here in BEAUTIFUL Nevada.

Family life and good morals exist here as well as anyplace else, so please...stop the cameras! My opinion that life here in So. Nevada is WONDERFUL and it is just as valid as your negative opinon. Please keep in mind, that not everyone is as unfortunate or has the same feelings as you.

As far as the $250 fee for letting your car insurance lapse?

Good for you, it will ensure that next time you need to pay your auto insurance premium you do so in a timely manner. I want to make sure that if you are driving on MY roads, then YOU should be responsible enough to have insurance in effect if you should accidently hit me.

Old 07-02-2008, 05:12 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,586,421 times
Default Kicked while you were down................

Quote:

Yeah you were kicked in the head when you were knocked down by the hard knocks of life....there's should be some type of assistants for low income persons that have to choose between eating and paying automoble insurances.

Old 07-03-2008, 03:49 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,289,591 times
Quote:

Now wouldn't that be nice if more people would avoid moving here. You can be our new spokesperson to help keep the riffraff out of Las Vegas. The job doesn't pay well, and you will still have to remember to register your vehicles, but the perks will be you will have some weird sort of satisfaction in bad mouthing a perfectly good place to live to gullible unsuspecting people. It should help lessen the traffic tie-ups on our roads at rush hour.

Old 07-03-2008, 12:17 PM

6 posts, read 31,156 times
nothing is wrong with what you're saying. Some will LOVE Nevada and some will HATE Nevada... say what you have to, if a person feels they need to make a decision based on it, thats there decision... everything you're saying is public knowledge (true and accurate) and there isn't anything wrong with that...

Old 07-03-2008, 02:22 PM

173 posts, read 979,658 times
Here's hoping you find some perfect place that fits what you need and want... what a bitter and unhappy person you seem to be. If I were that miserable, I think I'd sell off everything, get in the car or hop on a bus, and leave. I wouldn't be sticking around.

We're happy here, I've been in Nevada 20 yrs... some in Vegas, some in Elko, now I'm in Reno, and I don't mind it one bit. Sure life has its ups and downs and unfair times, but for me, another area isn't gonna change that.

Old 07-03-2008, 02:33 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,117,748 times
If it helps keep uninsured people off the roads, I am all for it......MAINTAIN your insurance.....

Old 07-04-2008, 09:29 PM

So glad all is well in your tiny little corner of the world! Sometime, somewhere in the midst of your soccer-mom activities, fueling up the enormous SUV and whatever else makes your little life so full and complete in Vegas, you might just take a few moments to CONSIDER THE FACTS relating to Nevada.

Why do you think Nevada was "chosen" as the state for the infamous Yucca Mountain nuclear waste DUMP!! And, gee....what a surprise to hear on the nightly news that for the SIXTH YEAR IN A ROW, Nevada ranked #1 for SUICIDE!!! Not to mention ALL the other top serious crimes.

There will ALWAYS be folks such as yourself who ignore the facts, make up your own rules of operation and procede to march unaware and out of touch year after year, through there little lives, just as long as YOUR OWN situation is workable....for YOU. EVERYTHING revolves around you, or so you pretend. What you ignore....you permit.

It's people like yourself that allow unjust and irrational stuff to perpetuate. Whether I pay $250.00 or $2500.00 isn't so much the issue, as it being yet another way to sucker the citizen out of more of his money. Try looking at it from THAT perspective. God forbid I was actually involved in an accident and/or received a citation during my short tenure of lapsed coverage. That fact is.....I didn't.

But I'll wager you're just a bit annoyed that something like that didn't happen. READ the newspaper. WATCH the news. GET THE FACTS.

As for my auto insurance, I religiously payed my premium for the seven years I've been in the lame state of Nevada. The short lapse of two weeks was unavoidable, and nothing happened, besides. REASONABLE people would think that showing proof of correction would resolve the problem for ALL concerned.

As I sit here watching a show on "Gangs in Las Vegas". You need to face the facts. As unpleasant and difficult as it may be for you, the facts speak dismally of Nevada. Lots and lots of BIG problems exist in the state and pretending they don't exist or that "the facts are wrong" is asinine. Wake up! Watch the news. Read the paper. LEARN THE FACTS.

Old 07-04-2008, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
If it helps keep uninsured people off the roads, I am all for it......MAINTAIN your insurance.....
Fact is, I've religiously maintained my auto insurance the entire seven years I've been in the bogus state of Nevada. A lapse of two weeks, where I did little driving, isn't the "end of the world"! No accident and no citation occurred during this short period.

Most REASONABLE people would assume that proof of correction would suffice and resolve the problem for all concerned. Whether the fine was $250.00 or $2500.00 isn't so much the issue, it's being suckered by a corrupt state "system" that requires citizens monies to keep the ball rolling, as the dismal Nevada economy nears bankrupcy levels.

It's in the news NIGHTLY. We don't need a crystal ball to see this stuff. To ignore is to permit. Nevada is in FAR more trouble (in more ways than one) than I'll EVER be. I'm aware of the FACTS about "sunny Nevada", and they ain't pretty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada