Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 03:41 PM

307 posts, read 1,097,528 times

Advertisements

The city council goes AGAINST the will of the voters (See Adams Blvd extension)

The city council builds a 2nd city golf course across the street from the other city golf course. Its losing money.

The BCPD is overzealous with speeding tickets. I've seen with my own eyes a friend get a ticket for going 58 in a 55.

I won't even bother giving my opinion on the schools there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2010, 12:18 PM

286 posts, read 678,236 times
I have been everywhere,in the USA ,worth going to....scenery,rock climbing...you name it..with Joseph..my Native American buddy.
For part of the year I would earn enormous amounts of money for my clients...then meet Joseph in Gallup and see America.....the West.....Skipping the "fly over states"....then living in heaven.
Heaven is Arizona,New Mexico and the like....Boulder City is quite nice but California money is spoiling it.Just a thought?

Old 04-15-2010, 03:41 AM

182 posts, read 246,323 times
I like Boulder City, it has a "small town" charm to it.

Off the Vegas Strip

Old 11-28-2010, 03:02 PM

26 posts, read 91,596 times
I've been to Boulder City numerous times and I too like the small town charm. I plan on moving there. I used to live in Henderson and then moved to Calif. I miss living in Nevada.

Old 05-07-2016, 11:57 PM

285 posts, read 377,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KNJO View Post
Boulder City, is a Mormon (LDS) enclave with all the trappings (they like regulations and to be controlled). The cities 200sq mile size was established so Boulder City could generate more revenue from the tickets they could write on Hwy 95 between Boulder City & Laughlin, NV. Boulder City excessive regulations are intended to keep non LDS from moving in and taking over. The rules tend to be overlooked or waived for fellow LDS members, while strictly enforced for non LDS.

While investigating Boulder City, as a possible safe place to relocate my family and Business; I stopped by the Chamber of Commerce looking for info about relocating my business to the area; I was given the real low down of the city by the two people in the office. They were bold enough to tell me; since we were not LDS, we (my family) and business would not be welcomed and should look elsewhere to relocate.
Note: LDS controlled Boulder City, is the only Nevada city not to allow gambling.

I have since had several LDS members we know, tells us one other method they use to keep non LDS out is not to rent or hire them, and if they do hire; it's a low paying servant type job. If you are in the trades and not LDS; you can forget about getting local work as long as there is an LDS to do the job.

Boulder City is still very clannish in 2009
Boulder City is very particular over who they rent to, and hire, some of the LDS might have the attitudes you describe, but not all of them.

But it's worth pointing out that in this era of drug decriminalization and medical pot, and prop 47 in California, that LDS won't want that stuff near their kids. If you're a single guy, as I still am, they'll be very worried and go on to the next applicant. I don't blame them! I don't agree with prop 47!

Since 2006 I've lived in 12 cities, including boulder city. However, LDS cities where I considered living for my Business but LDS landlords were hesitant included,

Ashland, Oregon
Bend, Oregon
Auburn, California
Carlsbad, CA
Thousand Oaks, California
Ojai, CA
North lake Tahoe, CA

Although, I lived in Palm Springs for a short time, but found that quite a few residents and property managers and the gay population were either Mormon, or ex Mormon.

I was able to get into LDS owned and run Reno, Flagstaff and Henderson, they were very nice places to live.

No issues with Albuquerque and Santa Fe, but Placitas turned me down several times.

It's tough being a single guy! My advice, dress well, don't have any pets, and if you smoke cigarettes , don't smell like it when u meet with the landlord.

If you smoke dope or anything other than tobacco, stay in San Fransicko, or go to Durango, Colorado or Denver boulder if you can afford it. Or, Washington State, except Bellevue which is 20 percent LDS. Also Portland down to Corvallis, but not anywhere else in the state.

Last edited by theoaks; 05-08-2016 at 12:15 AM..

Old 05-08-2016, 12:26 AM

285 posts, read 377,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Trails View Post
That is a shame as it is a nice looking city. There is quite a bit of fiscal mismanagement going around these days.
Was there a reason for the 200 square mile limits? Trying to capture all the property tax revenue they could get?
I have a copy of the 100+ page land transfer agreement courtesy of the nice folks in boulder city City Hall, the BLM sold them these lands, the purpose is to cap the city size so that it doesn't get too big like Henderson, maintaining a sense of community, great schools, open space, outdoor recreation, endangered species, solar energy, etc. More cities should do this, since the larger a city gets there are more problems. Boulder City and Henderson are both very nice places to live with great schools. The LDS influence whether it is Carlsbad, Thousand Oaks, Bellevue, WA, or Boulder City and Henderson, includes regulations on signage, wide streets, landscaping, open space, but most non LDS we can appreciate these beautification efforts. Henderson, also has open space and the Las Vegas wash will be revitalized, not sure when.

Old 06-07-2016, 05:18 AM

32 posts, read 56,882 times
Boulder City has its share of corruption just like any other town. It does have a Mayberry feel to it for sure. But if you like a sense of community, low crime, and controlled growth Boulder City is hard to beat in So Nev.

Old 09-29-2019, 05:02 PM

2,041 posts, read 1,524,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KNJO View Post
Boulder City, is a Mormon (LDS) enclave with all the trappings (they like regulations and to be controlled). The cities 200sq mile size was established so Boulder City could generate more revenue from the tickets they could write on Hwy 95 between Boulder City & Laughlin, NV. Boulder City excessive regulations are intended to keep non LDS from moving in and taking over. The rules tend to be overlooked or waived for fellow LDS members, while strictly enforced for non LDS.

While investigating Boulder City, as a possible safe place to relocate my family and Business; I stopped by the Chamber of Commerce looking for info about relocating my business to the area; I was given the real low down of the city by the two people in the office. They were bold enough to tell me; since we were not LDS, we (my family) and business would not be welcomed and should look elsewhere to relocate.
Note: LDS controlled Boulder City, is the only Nevada city not to allow gambling.

I have since had several LDS members we know, tells us one other method they use to keep non LDS out is not to rent or hire them, and if they do hire; it's a low paying servant type job. If you are in the trades and not LDS; you can forget about getting local work as long as there is an LDS to do the job.

Boulder City is still very clannish in 2009
Oh my god is this really true? LoL!

Old 09-29-2019, 05:08 PM

2,041 posts, read 1,524,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_Rat View Post
Boulder City has its share of corruption just like any other town. It does have a Mayberry feel to it for sure. But if you like a sense of community, low crime, and controlled growth Boulder City is hard to beat in So Nev.
What do you mean "controlled growth" lol. You can't stop someone from moving somewhere. Actually Boulder City being 200 square miles pretty much ensures it will eventually become one of the biggest suburbs in the state.

Old 09-29-2019, 05:36 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,354,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNgFooCj View Post
Oh my god is this really true? LoL!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNgFooCj View Post
What do you mean "controlled growth" lol. You can't stop someone from moving somewhere. Actually Boulder City being 200 square miles pretty much ensures it will eventually become one of the biggest suburbs in the state.
Read the thread. We have a couple of friends who live there. Considered it when we came here over 20 years ago but rejected it as being too small townish.

Has some LDS influence but not controlling. More a protect the town and keep the heathens away.

The town owns the surrounding land. It is not in private hands. So BC grows only as BC chooses to grow. And that is very slowly.

And it does a very good impression of Mayberry RFD.

And it is bound by the same water concerns as the rest of Clark County. The Lake is there but they cannot use it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada