Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 10:06 PM

50 posts, read 166,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by db77 View Post
You guys need to lighten up.

My little list wasn't meant to be interpreted literally annabelle and I said most not all people in southern CA. Yes I've been there and I feel the people there are far more obsessed with looks and superficial concerns than we are here. That is my opinion.
Thanks for the input. I take your quote-pretty lighthearted as well...I have lived in Newport, CA (So Cal) and now in No. Cal. So Cal definitely a bit more materialistic, No Cal-not so much. More laid back-but of course that all depends on your community, but all in all, much more laid back.
I truly appreciate the feedback on this discussion. I think my husband and I have both decided to take the plunge and in 2 years will relocate to either New Castle or Portsmouth. Looking to find that laid back, quaint town with its own very cool eclectic vibe. Our daughter will be 7 at that time and I think this will be a great community for her to grow up in.

I think it might take 1-2 years to adjust to the winters-ha ha-as when it turns 60 here I think that is the tundra. But I love snow...and skiing...so...this may be fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2010, 02:02 AM

42 posts, read 101,266 times
C2........many a truth is said in jest.......generalizations are there for a reason....So while I believe DB's post WAS an attempt at humor mixing in stereotypes for good measure (effectively I might add), it's says something about a person who has to take everything so seriously and literally that they can't take a step back and enjoy things for their true intent.

DB.....I lived in VT for the past 6 years (before moving to Germany last fall) and while it is a beautiful state with much to offer, I'm anxious to move to NH where they have the same to offer, without the backass political bs to go along with it......I was called a "flatlander" for a reason I guess......

Old 10-11-2010, 05:27 AM

395 posts, read 458,557 times
This is the way I've always looked at it Viper...........

In Vermont everyone is so caught up with the way the state is presented to outsiders. It's as if everyone's only concern is to ensure that every corner the state looks a certain way (ie New England circa 1910) The whole we're so quaint and ecofriendly, and that's the way it has to be is obnoxiously overblown.

In New Hampshire people are too busy living their lives to be concerned with such things. I find NH to be of a much more practical mindset. We've got a much better balance of appreciation for small town life and industry/technology than Vermont.

The recent Fairpoint Communications deal is a perfect example of how bizarre the state of Vermont is. Both Maine and NH have signed off on FairPoint providing broadband internet access in the northern parts of their states. Fairpoint had been in bankruptcy but is doing better now. So much better that both Maine and NH saw fit to give the company major contracts. Yet Vermont had to be different. They felt Fairpoint wasn't up to "Vermont standards" and instead are going to have the state build a fiber optic network. I can see what will come of this.....either the network will never get built, or it will be so inferior to what Fairpoint could have provided that it will be an absolute joke.

But that's Vermont for ya.

Old 10-11-2010, 07:07 PM

586 posts, read 1,506,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorelee View Post
Can I send you an email-I would love to ask you some more questions? Thank you for your opinion, most appreciated. I agree, CA is really expensive-so I don't think I will be too sticker shocked. However, I was surprised to see the cost of living outside of Boston in some of the communities. I hear Boston taxes are pretty high as well; although, CA taxes are no bargain either.
Sure - send me a PM and I'll send you my email address.

jackie

Old 10-12-2010, 03:15 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorelee View Post
Can I send you an email-I would love to ask you some more questions? Thank you for your opinion, most appreciated. I agree, CA is really expensive-so I don't think I will be too sticker shocked. However, I was surprised to see the cost of living outside of Boston in some of the communities. I hear Boston taxes are pretty high as well; although, CA taxes are no bargain either.
New Hampshire taxes are the highest in the New England states. Find a website like that shows the 2009 property tax on each property listed. The taxes on my humble little home in WMass would easily be double in the state of NH.

Portsmouth is lovely, check it out.

Last edited by CaseyB; 10-12-2010 at 03:55 PM.. Reason: realtor site

Old 10-12-2010, 07:33 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,695,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
New Hampshire taxes are the highest in the New England states. Find a website like that shows the 2009 property tax on each property listed. The taxes on my humble little home in WMass would easily be double in the state of NH.

Portsmouth is lovely, check it out.
That may be so, but other states will get your money just the same - income tax and sales tax. Maine will tax you even if you don't work in Maine, and your spouse as well. Even so, I wouldn't mind living in Maine.

The Kingdom of Vermont is another world, one that doesn't beckon me one bit. And I spent a lot of time there before it deteriorated.

Portsmouth is as close as you can get to Maine without actually living there (and all that Maine has to offer is just across the bridge!) How lucky can one be!

Old 10-13-2010, 10:15 AM

137 posts, read 384,393 times
Actually I do live in So Cal and can back that up
LOL
okay not everyone but in general terms the people in SoCal are a bit too much into themselves and have a superficial layer that covers them. Once removed, it's not so bad but it's a hard shield to break through.

Can't wait to move to NH

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2ShiningC View Post
You know, that doesn't sound very warm to me, making such a rude generalization of 24.2 million people. I'm sure, however, that you have plenty of personal experience living among those 24.2 million people to back that up.

Big thumbs up, Annabelle.

Old 10-13-2010, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Maine will tax you even if you don't work in Maine, and your spouse as well.
Maine does not tax nonresident spousal income that was not earned in Maine. Maine -- like other states, including Massachusetts -- taxes income earned in Maine *at a rate based on your joint income (if you file a joint return)*

Old 10-13-2010, 05:00 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,695,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notdancingqueen View Post
Maine does not tax nonresident spousal income that was not earned in Maine. Maine -- like other states, including Massachusetts -- taxes income earned in Maine *at a rate based on your joint income (if you file a joint return)*
When did Maine change that?

Old 10-14-2010, 05:07 AM

I would be very surprised if they ever did it without also having a credit or some other means to offset what was not earned in Maine -- but you can check out Schedule NR for 1040ME and the instructions that go with it.

Your tax is first calculated as if you were a resident of Maine for the entire year. Part-year residents, nonresidents and “safe harbor” residents must
then claim a credit (this is what schedule NR is for) to deal with non-Maine source income earned while a nonresident of Maine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire