Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2013, 08:52 PM

1 posts, read 1,646 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I am a young professional (mid 20's) who has recently been offered a position in Portsmouth, NH. My fiance and I currently live in Northern New York, in the Adirondack Mountains. I am excited about moving closer to a city, but am concerned about the high cost of living I hear about in Portsmouth. I currently make 28K, and the new position would be 37K. Being young, the two of us are looking to rent an apartment in either a complex, or in a house, and I'm just wondering what are the best options available to us. A quick search on craigslist has demonstrated that apartments range from 850 a month to 1,000 plus. I am not entirely sure we should live directly in Portsmouth either, especially if there may be cheaper areas nearby. I would like a 20-30 minute commute, but if the cost of living was much easier, I would consider an hour commute as well. My fiance has worked in education in the past and is certified in history and special education, so we're hoping she can find a position in one of the local schools. Thanks so much for any help you can offer.

A few more notes: Having lived in the Adirondacks for the last year, we're more interested in being closer to a city or city-like area, with close access to wall marts, a mall, movie theater, etc) Again, as long as cost permits us to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2013, 06:46 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
I suggest reading the threads listed below. Portsmouth is a very nice city and there are affordable towns nearby.

Old 04-18-2013, 08:54 AM

2,372 posts, read 1,856,713 times
I don't think of Portsmouth as a city that anyone commutes an hour to work in.

Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful and charming little city, but maybe you are overestimating its size.. Perhaps right in the city, rents will be a little higher, but a few miles in any direction leads to rural New England towns where the rent ought to be as low as anywhere. Check out Maine! A great state with a very affordable cost of living and just accross the bridge from Portsmouth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire