Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2007, 08:36 AM

22 posts, read 64,688 times

Advertisements

Anyone drive from Amherst NH area to Worcester?

My husband's company is doing work in the Concord area- but is located in Worcester, he is spending most of his time in Southern NH. Could be periods where he is needed in Worcester each day. We are now in Amherst Ma, thinking of moving to Amherst NH.

wondering best way (rte 13?) or 495.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2007, 05:30 PM

7 posts, read 40,531 times
I used to work in Worcester & commuted from Westminster MA (near Fitchburg) close the the S. NH line and that was a very nice commute, only about 30 minutes. Then I got a job in Framingham, and that was a longer commute about 45 minutes (mostly back roads, not toooo bad.)
THEN, I got married to a man from Manchester, NH and moved up there, keeping my Framingham job = NIGHTMARE COMMUTE. Traffic wasn't terrible, but it's just so darn far. It took about 1 1/2 hours each way during good weather, double that for bad weather.

The reason I'm telling you all that is because that's what he'll be looking at to drive from Amherst NH to Worcester. It's going to take him about 1 1/2 hours (depending on which part of Worcester) and he's going to hate it. I would highly recommend you look around Westminster, Princeton, Ashburnham. They're all nice little towns and not too far from either Worcester or S NH.

If you're dead set on Amherst, which route would be personal preference. Rt 13 to Rt 2 to I-190 would be probably the most rural, but be warned that traffic in Leominster on 13 can be a bit of a pain (long slow moving lines). The alternative is to use the Everett Turnpike (Rt 3) to 495 to 290, but it is really full of commuters going like hell. There are other "shortcuts" to take, but I wouldn't suggest them to you until you get to know the area, and they don't necessarily save you time, just aggravation.

Old 08-02-2007, 06:35 AM

22 posts, read 64,688 times
thank you for the detailed reply! hmmmmm, sounds bad, and my husband is not patient in traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire