Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 06:47 AM

1,282 posts, read 3,704,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorilou View Post
We are in a similar situation, with similar interests. The Seacoast area is probably a good place to start. We are also a social couple, and for that reason, many people suggested we check out Rye, Exeter, & N. Hampton: all very nice towns. However...we also came to the realization that we are perhaps past the "keeping up with the Joneses" phase of life, and this realization (along with good advice from city-data), eventually led us to Dover. It's a nice town, very near Portsmouth & ocean, but still just a regular town filled with a good mix of people. It feels like a place where you can truly just be yourself. Home prices are very reasonable, with a wide selection of styles (historic homes, golf-course homes, cookie-cutter, etc). Also, it's very near UNH! Definitely check it out and I wish you & your beloved the very best!
I was going to suggest the same thing - Dover with it's close proximity (within 1 hour of oceans, mountains, big city and airports, lakes) to a lot of different activities, closeness to UNH and a few community/junior colleges in the Seacoast area (including the Adult Learning Center), and their downtown area. I see the original poster is planning on visiting - so I'll just say I'm envious of you Lorilou this is my hometown and I miss it tons - and would move back if I could.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2011, 06:48 AM

1,282 posts, read 3,704,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
Oops I forgot to answer the question about what to see as a tourist. I'd say Franconia Notch State Park (especially the Flume and the Basin) and definitely drive the Kancamangus Highway.
Oh most definite - wish the Old Man was still there - oh and of course need to drive by and see Mt Washington and the hotel on the way, it's just breathtaking all the scenery.

Old 05-10-2016, 03:34 PM

9 posts, read 11,636 times
Are any of these towns mentioned an ok commute to Manchester where my husband will be working?

Old 05-10-2016, 05:11 PM
KCZ

4,676 posts, read 3,669,799 times
While NH's lack of sales and income taxes may be attractive, our property taxes are not. I would suggest that you pick up some RE brochures and do a little perusing at Realtor.com for each area you visit, to see what you'd pay for the home you want, and then look at property tax rates, found here Property Tax Rates & Related Data | Municipal | NH Department of Revenue Administration to get some idea of housing costs, and budget 50% more than you're used to for heating costs.

Old 05-11-2016, 10:30 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,621,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenofallthings View Post
Are any of these towns mentioned an ok commute to Manchester where my husband will be working?
This is a 5 year old thread - I would suggest starting a new thread detailing what you are looking for / questions you have. In general most of this thread is not targeted around commuting to Manchester.

There are some people who do commute from Peterborough (50+ min on a winding state highway even in good weather, which is nuts but some do it), and I would argue Exeter is a little more feasible (30 min of quasi-interstate driving), but neither would be the first place people would suggest.

If you have the money for Exeter you could afford any number of closer places, and if you want rural there's no need to go as far west as Peterborough imo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire