Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 10:59 AM

22 posts, read 41,108 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My wife is from NH and we (wife, myself, 8 month old, 2 dogs) are considering moving to NH. We haven't picked a town yet but are looking at rye, portsmouth, exiter, newfields, dover, etc.

I recently lost my 2nd career in LV over the past 6 years. I now have an opportunity to work for her families sheet metal company in NH. I would be able to make around 30.00 per hour after 4 years. She is a massage therapist.

I am asking for some outside opinions on my current situation.

Here are the PROS and CONS I can think of:

PROs of moving to NH -

A career with my families company.
Closer to her family.
Better school for my son.
Less crime.
More culture.
Fenway park.
No 120 degree heat.
Less transient people.
She has wanted to move for 5+ years. Happy Wife.

CONs of moving to NH.

No free daycare.
Home taxes are higher.
We would have to short sale our house which kills your credit for 1.5 years.
(If we do not short sale the house this year, a new law comes into effect in 2013 which would cause us to pay 10k or more in taxes if we sold it then. We are upside down 90k so selling the house for a profit will probably never happen.)
When we buy another home its like 100 years old.
Moving away from my family and friends.
Winter.
Bugs.
Cost of living may be higher?
Its going to cost a lot to relocate.

These are just a few things to consider. Thanks for any advice and I will try to answer any questions that come up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2012, 11:59 AM

193 posts, read 534,066 times
I can see it's a tough call. Are you saying that you wouldn't need to short sale your house if you stayed in Nevada? Or, would this law you mention force that action anyway? Upside down 90K is a huge factor, but it sounds like a factor whether or not you move to NH, so I'm not sure if it should stay on the Con list.

Old 06-17-2012, 12:31 PM

12 posts, read 19,845 times
I'm leaving NH as fast as I can...you can have my rental while you look around.

Old 06-17-2012, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdamien View Post
I can see it's a tough call. Are you saying that you wouldn't need to short sale your house if you stayed in Nevada? Or, would this law you mention force that action anyway? Upside down 90K is a huge factor, but it sounds like a factor whether or not you move to NH, so I'm not sure if it should stay on the Con list.
If we do it now we hurt our credit. If we do it later we hurt our credit and then owe 10k or more in taxes the next year. We do not have to short sale the home to stay in Nevada, however if a move is in the future then doing it later will cost us significantly more.

Old 06-17-2012, 01:12 PM

17,302 posts, read 22,030,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sks447 View Post
Hello,

My wife is from NH and we (wife, myself, 8 month old, 2 dogs) are considering moving to NH. We haven't picked a town yet but are looking at rye, portsmouth, exiter, newfields, dover, etc.

I recently lost my 2nd career in LV over the past 6 years. I now have an opportunity to work for her families sheet metal company in NH. I would be able to make around 30.00 per hour after 4 years. She is a massage therapist.

I am asking for some outside opinions on my current situation.

Here are the PROS and CONS I can think of:

PROs of moving to NH -

A career with my families company.
Closer to her family.
Better school for my son.
Less crime.
More culture.
Fenway park.
No 120 degree heat.
Less transient people.
She has wanted to move for 5+ years. Happy Wife.

CONs of moving to NH.

No free daycare.
Home taxes are higher.
We would have to short sale our house which kills your credit for 1.5 years.
(If we do not short sale the house this year, a new law comes into effect in 2013 which would cause us to pay 10k or more in taxes if we sold it then. We are upside down 90k so selling the house for a profit will probably never happen.)
When we buy another home its like 100 years old.
Moving away from my family and friends.
Winter.
Bugs.
Cost of living may be higher?
Its going to cost a lot to relocate.

These are just a few things to consider. Thanks for any advice and I will try to answer any questions that come up.

Weather is going to be a lot colder/snow than LV. You may suck at sheet metal work/hate the job/hate working for the family/they may resent hiring you and not being able to fire you. Plenty of newer than 100 year old real estate in NH.

The family job is the shaky point in your equation.....everythign else can be worked out.

Old 06-17-2012, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingNE View Post
I'm leaving NH as fast as I can...you can have my rental while you look around.
I'll trade you houses haha. Why are you leaving?

Old 06-17-2012, 05:00 PM

3,074 posts, read 4,725,108 times
You might want to re-check on the home sale tax for 2013. My understanding is that it only applies to a second home and not your primary residence.
Are you aware that the home property tax varies by city. Some cities are very high and others are not so much. Further, you should look at the states school rating site as some school districts are superb and others are not so much.
Short sales are no honeymoon, prepare to jump thru hoops and then be drawn and quartered. Don't believe it when they tell you that your credit will clear after 1 and 1/2 years.
Finally, if you are a skier you will love the winters, But I'm a shoveler..........

Old 06-18-2012, 07:40 AM

62 posts, read 142,335 times
Property taxes are higher than most states, yes, but in many cases, no state income tax and no sales tax will off-set that cost. I can honestly say that I don't mind the higher property taxes.... I know exactly how much the state will get from me each year (well, almost... NH does have taxes on restaurants and hotels...), whereas when we lived in NJ, we paid significantly more in property tax (besides the point), but then you had state income tax (we could calculate at least approx.) and then sales tax (which is darn near impossible to calculate... unless you book keep every single thing you buy, which most people won't do...)

Old 06-18-2012, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sks447 View Post
I'll trade you houses haha. Why are you leaving?
There really isn't enough bandwidth here to go thru all the reasons...cost of living and rude people the primary reasons. Of course; most of the people that move here are from NY, NJ, and California, so you are essentially just playing '3-card monty' with your living situation. That is why the 'old time' NH residents have left.

Old 06-18-2012, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiojan View Post
Property taxes are higher than most states, yes, but in many cases, no state income tax and no sales tax will off-set that cost. I can honestly say that I don't mind the higher property taxes.... I know exactly how much the state will get from me each year (well, almost... NH does have taxes on restaurants and hotels...), whereas when we lived in NJ, we paid significantly more in property tax (besides the point), but then you had state income tax (we could calculate at least approx.) and then sales tax (which is darn near impossible to calculate... unless you book keep every single thing you buy, which most people won't do...)
According to a recent article in Forbes; NH's Merrimack County has the 19th HIGHEST property taxes in America...all the other counties higher on the list are in NY and NJ (of course). I notice you use the word 'offset'...you're exactly right...you are just stepping sideways, expense-wise. When you roll in the tolls and car registration taxes (hundreds to register a car, then there are inspection fees, and expenses that are incurred when they 'find' something), you are NOT going to save money. Then there is heating oil...unless you enjoy chopping wood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire