Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2012, 02:58 PM

15 posts, read 41,074 times

Advertisements

OK I posted in another thread that my partner and I will be moving to the Manchester NH area in about a month. We have been looking at Craigslist trying to find places to rent and pretty much every single property we look at seems to be EXTREMELY old and sometimes in disrepair. It seems that to get anything that might be a bit newer will cost upwards to $1600-2000.00 a month?

Is this right? Also i keep reading about avoiding Red Oak Properties? Does anyone have experience with this? All I keep reading is they are slumlords.

If anyone can tell me where maybe some newer properties, at least built in the 2000's might be or even if its older but in nice condition...one place actually advertised showing pics of the front door laying on the ground? I mean who would rent a place like that?? Sorry Im not trying to put down the area but Im just kind of getting frustrated and the clock is ticking so to speak.

Thanks for any help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 03:24 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,139,717 times
lots of apartments on the Hooksett/Manchester line.

Try Washington Park Estates or any of the CPM properties. You will find 2 bedroom apartments with 2000 sq feet for under $1000.

http://www.apartmentguide.com/neighb...-Park-Estates/

Croteau Court is older, but still pleasant apartments.

Old 07-10-2012, 03:40 PM

1,370 posts, read 2,182,602 times
It's been about six years since I looked for a rental in NH, but I looked at a bunch around the Manchester area, and these were the nicest I found: Heritage on the Merrimack Apartments For Rent in Bedford, New Hampshire - Apartment Rental and Community Details - ForRent.com They are in Bedford, which is right next to Manchester, just around the corner from the Target/Lowe's shopping center, and close to the Everett Turnpike/101/93 exchange. Rents are from $1180 up to $1540.

A little further south down Hwy 3 is Hampshire Green which you might also like: Hampshire Green Apartments For Rent in Bedford, New Hampshire - Apartment Rental and Community Details - ForRent.com

Old 07-10-2012, 04:08 PM

26,421 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenjermin View Post

OK I posted in another thread that my partner and I will be moving to the Manchester NH area in about a month. We have been looking at Craigslist trying to find places to rent and pretty much every single property we look at seems to be EXTREMELY old and sometimes in disrepair. It seems that to get anything that might be a bit newer will cost upwards to $1600-2000.00 a month?

Is this right? Also i keep reading about avoiding Red Oak Properties? Does anyone have experience with this? All I keep reading is they are slumlords.

If anyone can tell me where maybe some newer properties, at least built in the 2000's might be or even if its older but in nice condition...one place actually advertised showing pics of the front door laying on the ground? I mean who would rent a place like that?? Sorry Im not trying to put down the area but Im just kind of getting frustrated and the clock is ticking so to speak.

Thanks for any help
Have you looked in Concord? Check out apt listings near Downtown or the Heights. Costs there are lower and it is a 25-30 minute drive to Manchester.

Old 07-10-2012, 04:23 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,139,717 times
"Is this right? Also i keep reading about avoiding Red Oak Properties? Does anyone have experience with this? All I keep reading is they are slumlords.'

Red Oak is a national chain that seems to snatch up the less expensive properties in Manchester, Derry, Concord, Boscowen, etc. As a result, they've developed a less than desirable reputation.

Old 07-11-2012, 08:25 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,964,783 times
That is the downside to housing in NE.. Everything is old. Most think old= charming when in reality old = $$$$$$ out the window. It's hard coming from a place where everything built before 2000 is too out dated to a place where things built in 1960's is newer compared to the rest.

Old 07-11-2012, 11:18 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,949,596 times
Quote:

OK I posted in another thread that my partner and I will be moving to the Manchester NH area in about a month. We have been looking at Craigslist trying to find places to rent and pretty much every single property we look at seems to be EXTREMELY old and sometimes in disrepair. It seems that to get anything that might be a bit newer will cost upwards to $1600-2000.00 a month? <snip> Thanks for any help
Please use LOTS of caution on Craigslist. There are soooo many scam rentals listed there--seems that every time I list a house for sale and post on craigslist, it shows up as a rental listing within days. Check NNEREN.com for REAL listings... (and to compare those CL listings that just sound too good to be true)

Old 07-11-2012, 05:28 PM

885 posts, read 2,661,410 times
Quote:
It seems that to get anything that might be a bit newer will cost upwards to $1600-2000.00 a month?
Sheesh - that's a $300,000ish mortgage at today's rates.

Old 07-11-2012, 06:57 PM

26,421 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcewan View Post
Sheesh - that's a $300,000ish mortgage at today's rates.
Very true, but property taxes aren't going down either.

Old 07-11-2012, 10:38 PM

15 posts, read 41,074 times
Thanks everyone for all your advice!

In regards to craigslist, yes..i have noticed several scams already. Someone posted a Huge house with granite counter tops and tons of space, for like $800 a month....please are they even trying anymore? lol

Anyways its rather daunting task of renting a place over the internet and I appreciate all the advice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire