Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 11:27 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,993,716 times

Advertisements

Northern New Hampshire is far away from everything.
As stated it is very rural.
Some cities but mostly small cities.
Limited big box shopping.

This area was bustling at one time with mills.
The last mills were paper mills. Mostly closed now. Occaisionally one or two does reopen.
One has to drive/walk through an active paper mill town to absorb the true atmosphere that is constant and continuous.

New Hampshire has the fewest highway miles of any state. So being near a highway may be an issue depending on where one locates.

Northern New Hampshire can be quite cold in winter and winter lasts a tad longer then other parts of NH.

Berlin, NH has opened a new state prison. Some jobs go along with that.

Otherwise there are no jobs.

If the price of land or homes is cheap it probably will continue to be cheap. So anything purchased may not appreciate much over time.

If you do not care for any of the issues of northern New Hampshire then go for it. There can be beautiful scenery both summer and winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 11:06 PM

1,935 posts, read 4,777,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
Or the person selling the land is the one who's property you will need to get an easement from.
What is the point of that?! Why would anyone sell some part of their property in a scenario where the new owner would have to get an easement from the larger-tract owner? You'd think that the larger-tract owner couldn't get much for the property if an easement is required to access it...?!

Okay, since this seems to be a big issue, y'all tell me this: if I have a Realtor helping me, how likely is it that I'd be hosed on a land purchase if I require "being able to access the land to look at it first before buying" as a condition of the purchase? Would they trespass and hope that nobody notices? Could I tell for sure that I could access the land if there were some sort of driveway coming off of a decent-sized road, even if it were just well-worn graveled tire ruts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Northern New Hampshire is far away from everything.
As stated it is very rural.
Some cities but mostly small cities.
Limited big box shopping.
Fine by me. I don't like big box shopping anyway.

Quote:
This area was bustling at one time with mills.
The last mills were paper mills. Mostly closed now. Occaisionally one or two does reopen.
One has to drive/walk through an active paper mill town to absorb the true atmosphere that is constant and continuous.
What's it like? Are they really that stinky? (I knew a town in east-central PA that seemed to be centered around a pet food plant... the whole town smelled like cat food even when you were outside.)

Quote:
New Hampshire has the fewest highway miles of any state. So being near a highway may be an issue depending on where one locates.
What's the advantage to being near a highway? Are the lesser roads not well plowed in the winter?

Quote:
Northern New Hampshire can be quite cold in winter and winter lasts a tad longer then other parts of NH.
Ehhhhhh... not nuts about a cold winter... but in a "self-sufficiency" scenario, it's much more survivable and tolerable than a hot summer. Besides, I have a skin condition that flares up in hot situations where I'm sweating... so if I can avoid that, my skin will probably thank me.

Quote:
If the price of land or homes is cheap it probably will continue to be cheap. So anything purchased may not appreciate much over time.
Doesn't bother me. I wouldn't be buying a place to sell it later... I'd be buying it to use it hopefully forever. It's sort of like the engagement ring I bought for my wife... man, don't tell me what a great investment it is... I'm never going to liquidate! Yesterday we found out that the diamond got a chip in it... she was shocked... I didn't care. I was like "we'd have never known about this if the gemologist didn't look at it with a magnifying glass... and it's not like we have to worry about its dollar value anyway, so what's the difference?"

Quote:
If you do not care for any of the issues of northern New Hampshire then go for it. There can be beautiful scenery both summer and winter.
I've enjoyed Texas but I sure do miss my idea of beautiful scenery. Every area has its own beauty that certain people appreciate but I like mountains and trees... and vibrant fall color. There are those who like endless grassland, or perhaps the mesquite and cedar trees that dot this area... to each his own.

Old 07-28-2012, 02:51 AM

1,274 posts, read 2,383,425 times
My property came with a deeded "right of way" that allows me access to it. It's the width of a driveway plus about 10 feet on each side. The sellers even roughed a driveway in to my property line. This was the only way the property could realistically be sold. I have road frontage but it's too steep for a driveway. I'm assuming the seller paid the landowner well for the ROW, but in the end it was worth it because it greatly increased the value of the land I bought.

Old 07-28-2012, 08:37 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,037,076 times
Quote:
Okay, since this seems to be a big issue, y'all tell me this: if I have a Realtor helping me, how likely is it that I'd be hosed on a land purchase if I require "being able to access the land to look at it first before buying" as a condition of the purchase? Would they trespass and hope that nobody notices? Could I tell for sure that I could access the land if there were some sort of driveway coming off of a decent-sized road, even if it were just well-worn graveled tire ruts?
as long as the agent you use is not also the listing agent, or an agent who happens to own the property (and they have to disclose either of those situations) they are working for you and want you to be happy with what you get. Most agents anyway. If you buy land that you haven't actually looked at, you'd be a fool. Of course you can see it first, just like buying a house -and I say this having bought land to build on 6 years ago; we looked at lotsa parcels. Of course you can tell access - the listing sheet that the agent should give you should have a good description of the land, possibly a small lot diagram that usually has the road marked on it. Somewhere it should also say 'road frontage ..ft' -otherwise it would specify access by easement only. just read your papers and keep your eyes open. and if in doubt, that should be info that your agent would know.

Old 07-28-2012, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaComeHome View Post
as long as the agent you use is not also the listing agent, or an agent who happens to own the property (and they have to disclose either of those situations) they are working for you and want you to be happy with what you get. Most agents anyway. If you buy land that you haven't actually looked at, you'd be a fool. Of course you can see it first, just like buying a house -and I say this having bought land to build on 6 years ago; we looked at lotsa parcels. Of course you can tell access - the listing sheet that the agent should give you should have a good description of the land, possibly a small lot diagram that usually has the road marked on it. Somewhere it should also say 'road frontage ..ft' -otherwise it would specify access by easement only. just read your papers and keep your eyes open. and if in doubt, that should be info that your agent would know.
I always keep my eyes as open as I know to do... last time I bought a house, my lawyer laughed at how meticulously I read the contract... apparently most of her clients don't read those things very well. Makes no sense to me, but it happens.

Old 07-28-2012, 11:15 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,037,076 times
then you should be fine!

Old 07-28-2012, 11:20 AM

Is this "easement" thing specific to NH or perhaps the northern New England area? I've examined property in three different states (and asked about property in many more states) and nobody, regular person nor real estate agent, has ever said word one about the existence of landlocked property which would require an easement to access. I'm attempting to figure out why this is the very first time I've ever heard of it.

Old 07-28-2012, 01:24 PM

3,244 posts, read 7,449,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
Is this "easement" thing specific to NH or perhaps the northern New England area? I've examined property in three different states (and asked about property in many more states) and nobody, regular person nor real estate agent, has ever said word one about the existence of landlocked property which would require an easement to access. I'm attempting to figure out why this is the very first time I've ever heard of it.
It can exist all over the country.
As I mentioned in an earlier post, I have a chunk of land in NH, (haven't been there in a long time), and there is a small parcel I didn't own that is entirely surrounded by my land, and a person bought it, well knowing it was essentially 'land-locked'. I will only grant an easement for a really big sum of money. Caveat Emptor. I keep the lawyers well employed. But I will give him $10 for the property (he only paid 100 times that for it ). When the deed states 'no direct road access', and 'easement required', it is sort of an IQ test.
On another house, I have a boat ramp, but the easement is written so that only one of my properties, and the direct neighbor can use it.
Worked hard to earn the lands.... my right is to restrict who may be on it, when properly posted. Simple enough. Just told the caretakers to call the police when hunters are on it.

Old 07-28-2012, 02:58 PM

1,274 posts, read 2,383,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
It can exist all over the country.
As I mentioned in an earlier post, I have a chunk of land in NH, (haven't been there in a long time), and there is a small parcel I didn't own that is entirely surrounded by my land, and a person bought it, well knowing it was essentially 'land-locked'. I will only grant an easement for a really big sum of money. Caveat Emptor. I keep the lawyers well employed. But I will give him $10 for the property (he only paid 100 times that for it ). When the deed states 'no direct road access', and 'easement required', it is sort of an IQ test.
On another house, I have a boat ramp, but the easement is written so that only one of my properties, and the direct neighbor can use it.
Worked hard to earn the lands.... my right is to restrict who may be on it, when properly posted. Simple enough. Just told the caretakers to call the police when hunters are on it.
That dude was crazy to buy that land in the middle of yours without a Right of Way. Did he make an offer to you after the sale to get one? That's kind of like the cart before the horse....

Old 07-28-2012, 03:45 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,552,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveusaf View Post
That dude was crazy to buy that land in the middle of yours without a Right of Way. Did he make an offer to you after the sale to get one? That's kind of like the cart before the horse....
It happened in the Land of Oz.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire