Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 12:12 PM

1,200 posts, read 2,217,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by baysideben View Post
To the posters dictating where people of different political leanings should go, NH is not THEIR state, it is a free state. Crazy right-wing, left-wing, or anarchists can move whereever the heck they please.
Everybody has an opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 05:51 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,024,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baysideben View Post
To the OP, as another transplant from NYC (grew up and lived there for 25+ years) to NH I can say that yes, you and your husband can survive and thrive in NH. Especially if you are a fan of the outdoors. Since arriving, I've picked up fishing, mountain biking, golfing and snowboarding. The unemployment rate for the state is also lower than that of the rest of the country.

To the posters dictating where people of different political leanings should go, NH is not THEIR state, it is a free state. Crazy right-wing, left-wing, or anarchists can move whereever the heck they please.
Thanks for pointing this out. The OP is asking an innocent questionl, no need to drag this into politics. There is a separate forum just for politics and other controversies. Sad the Mods have not cleaned this one up. This is a free country and people can move where they please. Period. Its inane to make blanket assumptions about people based on where they are coming from. I concur about getting outdoors in NH, thats the key to enjoying the state. I've lived in NYC, Australia and Toronto and for me, once I got my motorcycle license (NH is #2 per capita in the country of motorcycle owners supposedly), lots of twisty roads and interesting towns to explore. I still am getting used to seeing little graveyards next to where you don't expect to find them (graves next to a gas station or next to a Taco Bell).

Old 08-16-2012, 11:37 AM

477 posts, read 900,197 times
The politics issue was introduced quite bluntly, to be sure. It really is not an issue of Politics, at least as I see it. The real issue is that people move to Nh because they like what they see but then immediately start trying to make It like where they came from by demanding more services, "better" regulations and zOning, etc.

Old 08-16-2012, 02:30 PM

1,200 posts, read 2,217,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhforester View Post
the politics issue was introduced quite bluntly, to be sure. It really is not an issue of politics, at least as i see it. The real issue is that people move to nh because they like what they see but then immediately start trying to make it like where they came from by demanding more services, "better" regulations and zoning, etc.
+1

Old 08-16-2012, 06:38 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,345,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhforester View Post
the politics issue was introduced quite bluntly, to be sure. It really is not an issue of politics, at least as i see it. The real issue is that people move to nh because they like what they see but then immediately start trying to make it like where they came from by demanding more services, "better" regulations and zoning, etc.
+2

Old 08-21-2012, 08:20 AM

147 posts, read 213,648 times
I'm curious as to what services and regulations people demand to have. ??

baysideben - I have a few questions if you don't mind. Did you move for a job? Was it hard to adjust? How long before you got used to a different environment? What were the hardest things to get used to?

Everyone please feel free to answer as well

We really enjoy being outside (evening walks, hiking, fishing, biking, skiing/snowboarding for hubby, etc) and find ourselves away from NYC on our free time. I would love to have space for a garden, too. What the city offers we need only in small doses.

Old 08-26-2012, 05:49 AM

477 posts, read 900,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *lorie View Post
I'm curious as to what services and regulations people demand to have. ??
Where to begin? More police and fire coverage, curbside trash pick up, pave those dirty gravel roads, more hours at the town office, more personnel to cover the increase desired zoning, etc.

As to regulations, I can give you a specific example. A lady from NJ who came to town and opened a pizza place downtown. It did well for a couple of years but at a town meeting of some sort (i was there but can not remember if it was a zoning/adjustment meeting, planning board, etc.) she stood up and went on a diatribe of how we already had 4 pizza places in town and that we should adjust the zoning regs in order to limit the number of particular types of establishments in town. In essence, limiting competition. I stood up and told the meeting I was strongly opposed to that and if the lady wanted to stay in business, she should have the best product. Her reason for wanting these regulations is it "was the way they did things where she came from." She left town shortly after.

It's just one example but this mentality is seen all the time by people who move in to the area. BTW, while I am a NH native, I am not native to the area I reside. I moved from a very developed area near the Seacoast to a mostly rural area and immediately adopted the rural way of life.

Last edited by NHForester; 08-26-2012 at 06:04 AM..

Old 08-26-2012, 08:05 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,199,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHForester View Post
Where to begin? More police and fire coverage, curbside trash pick up, pave those dirty gravel roads, more hours at the town office, more personnel to cover the increase desired zoning, etc.

As to regulations, I can give you a specific example. A lady from NJ who came to town and opened a pizza place downtown. It did well for a couple of years but at a town meeting of some sort (i was there but can not remember if it was a zoning/adjustment meeting, planning board, etc.) she stood up and went on a diatribe of how we already had 4 pizza places in town and that we should adjust the zoning regs in order to limit the number of particular types of establishments in town. In essence, limiting competition. I stood up and told the meeting I was strongly opposed to that and if the lady wanted to stay in business, she should have the best product. Her reason for wanting these regulations is it "was the way they did things where she came from." She left town shortly after.

It's just one example but this mentality is seen all the time by people who move in to the area. BTW, while I am a NH native, I am not native to the area I reside. I moved from a very developed area near the Seacoast to a mostly rural area and immediately adopted the rural way of life.

An old saying: "When in Rome do what the Romans do."

If one doesn't like it they should move.

That NJ woman probably came from Northern NJ (my former locale) and had the prissy/entitled attitude I bet.

But almost anywhere away from NYC will be an improvement IMHO.

New Hampshire is mostly beautiful and comes with a great lifestyle, hope the OP finds what is sought.

Old 08-27-2012, 05:08 PM

18 posts, read 32,811 times
WASP born in Brooklyn, moved to Rockville Center, LI, up to Rockand Cty, down to Northern NJ, up to Westchester -- then in 1970 I came to NH with my four young children, sight unseen, but 5 teaching jobs lined up -- desperate for mountains, lakes, pine trees, settled in Laconia where we remained for 8 years. NH was beautiful back then. The winters, especially, were pure white. Fewer people and less traffic, by far. The Union Leader featured Pat Buchanan; now it's Charles Krauthammer (I unsubscribed years ago). Concord Monitor is also liberal. When we arrived, the people were very different from New Yorkers -- no wise-cracking; no sense of humor at all. Hilariously anti-Massachusetts (going South meant going to Boston)--haha I'm laughing -- a friend from New Brunswick, NJ, stood on my doorstep, looked at me with an expression of disbelief, and whined, "you're not going STAY here, are you???? But yes, it was exactly what I wanted. Until I discovered what small town tyranny and big fish in small pond really meant. My beautiful children didn't begin thriving until they left for college; then it was all systems go. The geography was all that I could have wanted; it still is. There isn't a day that goes by when I'm not aware of the beauty around me, the incomparable NH horizon. We're all still here, living in Amherst, Bedford and Wolfeboro -- nice towns. Immigration is conspicuously altering Manchester and Nashua for the worse, like the rest of the country, like most of Europe.

Old 08-28-2012, 06:18 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,024,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHForester View Post

Reminds me of when I lived in Adelaide, South Australia. We had a loud obnoxious American woman on the block, who frankly stood out for her lack of class and her abrasiveness. The entire neighborhood just made comments "she can't help herself.. she is an American, they are all like that".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire