Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 03:05 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,701,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck naked View Post
Well, don't complain that you can't move because there are no jobs here. There are. You're just not qualified to do them. OTJ training takes place in a lot of industries. Education is great, but not always necessary. Although, I hear McDonalds now prefers a 4 year degree to work there.....

Your husband is simply being way to picky. Perhaps he really didn't want to move and this was just his passive agreesive way of saying that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2012, 04:25 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,966,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
Your husband is simply being way to picky. Perhaps he really didn't want to move and this was just his passive agreesive way of saying that
I dunno maybe , altho he keeps saying "I want to move just as much as you". I think really he doesn't want to be a cop because of the safety issue and with us having a daughter. When he was a cop years ago we didn't have a child and he was younger lol. He also doesn't want to deal with patroling in the snow or having to be bit and kicked and deal with drunks all night. I can understand that no one wants to patrol all night then come home and have to sleep all day when your kid is up and not see them cause you have to be up all night. I understand his point I really do but it just makes it difficult for us to move. I have a meeting with my HR dept tomorrow for my job because I had a boss call me and tell me I was part of a "set up" so now we are dealing with ethical issues that have to be sorted out..Evidently the set up was for someone else and it backfired.. So we'll see on that account where I stand with my job

Old 10-07-2012, 04:27 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,966,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buck naked View Post
Well, don't complain that you can't move because there are no jobs here. There are. You're just not qualified to do them. OTJ training takes place in a lot of industries. Education is great, but not always necessary. Although, I hear McDonalds now prefers a 4 year degree to work there.....
I said I lost my job yesterday, so regardless of whether he found work or not we couldn't move right now. People do go to school for certain things and want to remain in that industry . We both paid and are paying a lot of money in student loans for the fields we are in and I think it would be a waste to not TRY and continue to stay in those fields if possible. Let me clarify, there are no jobs in our FIELDS of work at the moment..better?

We have even looked down into Mass. he applied for a job at an insurance firm, they called him back that day to tell him he was over qualified, he applied with the TSA, he was over qualified. Its not like we just look at police jobs but he's had a lot of experience in and been in it for quite some years and honestly most places can't afford him. We're not gonna take a massive paycut to move there, look what happened the first time when we did that. So for now we have to not think with our hearts and instead with our heads. We have a kid this time to consider we can't just pack up and move in 3 months like we did last time. Its better than moving up no jobs and living in Sec. 8 and collecting no?

Old 10-26-2012, 04:34 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,755,351 times
Sorry about you losing your job, Sweet. That must be a shock. Hopefully, it will seem better, as you will get to stay home with the little one. It might be nice to have that special time while she is still small. Hang in there. The best of luck to you!

Old 10-27-2012, 06:12 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,680,652 times
I love it up here but I am starting to regret moving here. I cannot find a job in this state. I have applied for more than 75 jobs and only 2 places have called me. It is frustrating because I applied for jobs in the same field I work in. I got turned down for 11 jobs at Concord Hospital. It is unreal!

So I have to keep commuting 800 miles a week round trip in order to work. Freaking amazing.

Old 10-27-2012, 06:13 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,680,652 times
Oh, by the way, Rockingham County is hiring for a Dispatcher position!

Old 10-28-2012, 06:02 AM

497 posts, read 953,368 times
Has your husband considered using his police training to find a job working with loss prevention, insurance companies, private security, or how about Fish and Game?

If I could have a police job, it'd be with fish and Game. Work outdoors, policing but not 'ordinary' policework. Or how about using his training to find a Fed job.
Granted, I am not in that field, so I do not know if there are openings right now, but the last time I looked @ fish and game, they were taking apps [about 8 mos. ago]

Old 10-28-2012, 11:18 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,141,192 times
"Or how about using his training to find a Fed job."

requires taking the Civil Service exams and then you are put on a list to hire according to your score

so, if you score the highest, you are hired first.

Old 10-31-2012, 01:19 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,664,631 times
Quote:
but he's had a lot of experience in and been in it for quite some years and honestly most places can't afford him
It doesn't matter what department you go to you still start from square one. No department is going to pay anything beyond a starting salary.

Quote:
requires taking the Civil Service exams and then you are put on a list to hire according to your score
Vets will have preference.

Old 10-31-2012, 05:01 PM

497 posts, read 953,368 times
And a lower paying job with Bennies is better than no job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire