Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2013, 09:25 PM

24 posts, read 44,353 times

Advertisements

I was born and raised in the Seacoast area, went to UNH but have spent the last several years in the military, moving around the country with my husband (also military). We have an opportunity now to invest in our future retirement home and are seriously interested in a small acreage property in Pittsfield. I'd love anymore information on the town itself - pros and cons. It's appealing for us because of the commuter friendly location into Concord and also the quick access in the other direction to family in the Durham area. As this will be a long term investment, we really want to make the right decision. We do have a young child so schools are important, but we will also consider private/home-schooling as alternative options if the public system isn't impressive. Thanks in advance for anything!

-Nicole

Last edited by steedaunh32; 01-13-2013 at 10:32 PM.. Reason: add name
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 07:55 AM

13 posts, read 27,387 times
Default Pittsfield

My kids are HS age so I don't know about the elementary schools, but I do live in Pittsfield so maybe I can help with other questions you have about the town. Where in Pittsfield are you looking? Some areas have fantastic views. Anything you want to know about the town/location etc. other than elementary schools?

Old 01-14-2013, 09:16 AM

223 posts, read 540,459 times
I have lots of pages all about pittsfield. see Pittsfield, NH - AWESOME PITTSFIELD Community

paul

Old 01-14-2013, 10:37 AM

24 posts, read 44,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by transplanted mom of 3 View Post
My kids are HS age so I don't know about the elementary schools, but I do live in Pittsfield so maybe I can help with other questions you have about the town. Where in Pittsfield are you looking? Some areas have fantastic views. Anything you want to know about the town/location etc. other than elementary schools?
Thank you for the reply. We're looking at a property in the Tilton Hill Rd, Providence Rd, Will Smith Road area. A few miles from White's Pond. I think just overall, we're wanting to get some firsthand information that this is a safe, quiet community for families. My husband does still leave a lot for his military obligations and I want to make sure we're in a good area that I'm comfortable with, especially when he is away. I know about the balloon festival, but where do most people do their shopping? Grocery stores, restaurants, etc. About how long does it take to get into downtown Portsmouth? Dover? Concord?

Old 01-14-2013, 01:05 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,141,192 times
Concord is the closest and has lots of shopping. It's within a half hour from Pittsfield. It's about an hour to the seacoast (Portsmouth, Dover area).

Pittsfield is rural and safe. You are about 20 miles from Weirs Beach in Laconia..... Lots of kid stuff to do there.

Old 01-14-2013, 01:38 PM

13 posts, read 27,387 times
My husband is former military so I know what it's like with him away and living on your own. I lived in Portsmouth for 2 years before moving to Pittsfield. Ports. is 1 hour away on hwy 4, nice drive no back roads. Concord is quick, 15-20 mins and everything is there if you want big box stores. Manchester is 45 mins away and Boston is 1:45hr mins away. You can get groceries at Danis market here in town. It is a small privately owned grocery store with a great meat counter. I love to cook so I will go to Concord for major shopping, but definitely will buy my bacon from Danis as well as things I need during the week. The groceries are more expensive sometimes but you don't have to drive to get them. We have a RiteAid and a Family Dollar too. We have a community theater, good Chinese place, several pizza joints and a nice coffee house called Jitters, Paul the owner is the best and knows everything about the town. There are several restaurants outside of town, but like I said Concord is not far to go at all, we are a bit like a bedroom community of Concord. Our high school is just for Pittsfield residents so your kids really get to know everyone and it has a great home town upbringing. The sports programs are great here as well. There are families who do home school in Pittsfield so if you chose that route there is a group around. The thing I like best about Pittsfield and what brought us here other than the affordability vs Portsmouth, is the people are nice, friendly and down to earth. The town is landscaped and beautiful with parks, medians and public areas planted with flowers and gardens by the Pittsfield beautification committee and you have the sense that this is a community people care about, want to live in and raise their families in. NH has a lot of towns to live in but I found very few with a real town center and community events, Pittsfield is one of them. The down sides would be....It's not Portsmouth, but my waistline is smaller and wallet thicker from lack of pub nights. (Concord has some though) There are rentals in Pittsfield scattered throughout the downtown which aren't always kept up by the landlords. Crime is not an issue here at all. I live in downtown and it is quiet with great neighbors who are amazing. Let me know if you have any other questions. Hope this helps as you decide what is right for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire