Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 10:26 AM

104 posts, read 467,782 times

Advertisements

I knew someone who was trail riding in NH with her husband in the winter several years ago. They were on a knoll (small rise, like a little hill for you flat-landers!) All of a sudden they were both mowed down by two snow mobilers who came up from behind the rise very fast and didn't see them. The snow mobilers were shaken but ok. However the riders were both critically injured and sustained multiple broken bones. I don't remember what heppened to their horses, but I think it was bad too. They didn't spook, they just got hit before they even knew what happened. Snow muffles sound, and if it's behind a hill you can't hear it, creating a very dangerous situation. It's tragic that these things happen. Caution should be exercised by all on trails and country roads because you never know what you'll encounter around the bend, or over the rise...

A few years ago my daughter's friend tragically died shortly before his high school graduation on a main route because he hit a moose on a dark night coming home. Again, it happened coming around a blind bend in the road. Slow down and use caution when you can't see far ahead!!! And obey the speed limit! Speed limits are there for a reason, although most try to get away with going 10 over. We live in a very fast-paced, hectic world, but we need to remind ourselves to slow down and be aware of others who may be in our path.

Most state trails are shared with motorized vehicles, just as are roads. People who use alternate, non-polluting transportation for travel and recreation must be respected and given priority as they are much more vulnerable to injury than someone in another vehicle. Better to crash your car and sustain some bruises or even broken bones, than to kill someone. It's a terrible situation to have to make a choice like that. The best solution is to avoid getting into that situation in the first place. Realize that although rare, at any time there may be pedestrians, horses or large animals in the road around the bend, and get in the habit of driving as if there were. You will never be sorry, and you could save a life, possibly even your own!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 12:37 PM

1 posts, read 667 times
I am from Southern NH. I live on a dirt road with 6 horse farms. Yes, I ride.The law states that you must slow down to at least 10 miles per hour to pass the horse and rider on a back road. If the vehicle goes slow I am very appreciative and say thank you.
However, if it's on a straight stretch and the car is speeding ( this may be dumb, but I make sure the vehicle is quite a distance away)
I move out to the middle of the road to make myself be seen. When they slow down I move over. It's a written law that vehicles must slow down to pass horses. They are creatures with a brain of their own and they Don't see like humans do. So they are easily spooked. A tree or a boulder or even a little chipmunk can scare them. Imagine what a speeding car could do.
Now, if you come around a sharp corner, please slow down anyway, the rider should be smart enough to place themselves on the side of the road that allows the most visibility.
In 2012 a girl was hit by a car, her horse killed and she ended up with a broken pelvis. The person drove away and called the police when he got home.
So, there are dumb people everywhere.

Old 07-08-2014, 01:24 PM

4,573 posts, read 5,691,585 times
Exclamation Cops can get away with anything, even in NH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony therapy View Post
law states that you must slow down to at least 10 miles per hour to pass the horse and rider on a back road.
Really? Care to cite the law? Because that's not what RSA 265:104 says.

Quote:
However, if it's on a straight stretch and the car is speeding ( this may be dumb, but I make sure the vehicle is quite a distance away). I move out to the middle of the road to make myself be seen. When they slow down I move over.
That's a dangerous game you're playing. If you're lucky, the next time you try it the oncoming vehicle will be an unmarked cop car, and not just going way faster than you estimated.

Old 07-08-2014, 01:58 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,872,162 times
I have been know to drive my cars and ride my motorcycle (scooter) at stupid speeds on back roads when visibility lets me have the time to see and avoid. On the really narrow back roads I apply the "be able to stop in half the visible distance" rule. This also give me time to see and avoid any pedestrian, bicycle or animal traffic. I always slow down on roads near swamps, ponds or other moose habitat as hitting a moose would likely kill both of us.

Fast riding on NH's back roads has been curtailed by the State's careful installation of endless numbers speed bumps and potholes. I am impressed by their frugal method of protecting us from quick riders. My back thanks them.

Old 07-09-2014, 06:18 PM

3,244 posts, read 7,458,441 times
Quote:
I am from Southern NH. I live on a dirt road with 6 horse farms. Yes, I ride.The law states that you must slow down to at least 10 miles per hour to pass the horse and rider on a back road. If the vehicle goes slow I am very appreciative and say thank you.
However, if it's on a straight stretch and the car is speeding ( this may be dumb, but I make sure the vehicle is quite a distance away)
I move out to the middle of the road to make myself be seen. When they slow down I move over. It's a written law that vehicles must slow down to pass horses. They are creatures with a brain of their own and they Don't see like humans do. So they are easily spooked. A tree or a boulder or even a little chipmunk can scare them. Imagine what a speeding car could do.
Now, if you come around a sharp corner, please slow down anyway, the rider should be smart enough to place themselves on the side of the road that allows the most visibility.
In 2012 a girl was hit by a car, her horse killed and she ended up with a broken pelvis. The person drove away and called the police when he got home.
So, there are dumb people everywhere.

Absolutely agree (BTW, he was charged with a Class-B felony)
When I was a kid, I was taught the 'rules of the road' by my mom, who, when she was a little girl, the vehicle had to come to a complete stop, the rider dismounts, and then waves the vehicle to pass. I have had people come by me and honk their horn to say 'hi!'. Nothing scares the crap out of you more when you feel every muscle in your horse tense up, and you pray he doesn't bolt wildly. I only dumped once on the street. Fortunately the horse rolled the other way, and just stared at me as I crawled off the pavement. He was up in a flash. It is true, that many people don't know the first thing about horses (or cows).

Old 12-23-2014, 12:36 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,292,970 times
I ride my horse on the road to access trails. The rule is, yes, you need to yield to the horse and rider. The rider should keep as far to the right as possible, but you should give some room while passing, just like you would for a bicycle. Horse & rider should travel in the direction of traffic. What do you do when you encounter cyclists on the road? Runners? People with baby carriages?

Now, all that said, I have no objections to people driving the speed limit and would not make a hand signal to anyone driving reasonably. I have occasionally signaled to drivers who were speeding or otherwise recklessly, or carelessly, but this is rare. Typically I have found this to be the case mostly with delivery trucks and lawn care vehicles. Most residential traffic is very accommodating and I wave thanks to drivers who are considerate and slow down.

Whether you think you're right, do you really want to be the cause for getting a rider killed? Also, believe me, you do not want a 1200 lb animal spooking into the path of your vehicle. If you've heard about the damage a deer can do, can you imagine a horse?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire