Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 06:30 AM

491 posts, read 1,372,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by riddei63 View Post
So, after a few weekend blasts to the area, we are under contract in Hollis. We chose a place on Colburn Ln off Silver Lake Road. It seems to have a nice neighborhood feel, and isn't a terrible commute to Nashua. We should close on our house in Maine on Friday June, 21st... And close on the house in Hollis the following Monday (if everything goes as planned). Yikes, there's a lot to do over the next month or so!
Congrats and thanks for the updates. If you need any help when you get to the area, just ask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 08:12 AM

18 posts, read 31,415 times
Congrats on the new house and move!

Old 06-04-2013, 08:19 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,949,596 times
Quote:
So, after a few weekend blasts to the area, we are under contract in Hollis. We chose a place on Colburn Ln off Silver Lake Road. It seems to have a nice neighborhood feel, and isn't a terrible commute to Nashua. We should close on our house in Maine on Friday June, 21st... And close on the house in Hollis the following Monday (if everything goes as planned). Yikes, there's a lot to do over the next month or so!
It's a busy and exciting time for you and the family! Congratulations on your upcoming move

Old 06-04-2013, 12:37 PM

278 posts, read 656,233 times
We looked at a house in a new development in West Hollis Woods however, it felt too far removed for us. Housing seems to be moving quickly if it is right-priced. It is pretty amazing what people want for prices, when they haven't (appeared) to do anything to spruce up the property. I'm sure this is true all over, and has nothing to do with the Hollis area. We went over-the-top staging our house. A little bit of elbow-grease would go a long way.

We are excited to move, and I really appreciate the information on these forums.

Old 06-04-2013, 03:51 PM

1,370 posts, read 2,182,338 times
Quote:
Oh, that's a beautiful area, lucky you. My favorite pastime is going for "drives in the country," and the entire Hollis area is one of my favorites. I've driven through that neighborhood and all around there many times because it is so pretty. The old Woodmont orchards are beautiful, and, unlike Londonderry, the Town of Hollis bought them and turned them into a conservation area so they will not be turned into a million houses like they will be doing here. Although I usually don't drive in rush hour traffic so don't know what it's like, during the rest of the day there are very few cars on Broad Street/R130. The whole drive is so pretty, with lots of farms and open space - you will have a wonderful commute. I've decided that if I were to buy a house in NH (and had tons of money), I would choose either Hollis or Hampton Falls, so I am envious.

Welcome to New Hampshire.

Old 06-04-2013, 04:48 PM

489 posts, read 964,152 times
That's great and exciting news. Thank you for the update. I think you'll adjust nicely to the area. Come on up to Sunapee sometime this summer if you can!

P.S.....if you do, let me know ahead of time so I can give you my list for Costco first.

-Mike

Old 06-04-2013, 07:31 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,037,076 times
Hey, that's great! congrats on the sales (both ends). Welcome to Hollis. I always enjoy going back there. Oh, and btw: the strawberry festival is June 23, technically from 2-4. It's on the town common (that triangle with the monument across form the Congo church & the library - near the middle school). The town band plays, and the women's club sets up a tent to sell strawberry shortcake & such. People often get there a little earlier and set up space. nice small town activity.

Old 06-05-2013, 08:04 AM

If Hollis has a Strawberry Festival in early summer, they must have an apple festival in the early fall! Thanks for the information!

Old 06-05-2013, 09:13 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,037,076 times
yes, they do! and between Lull's fruit farm & Brookdale fruit farm there are also lots of pick your own fruits/veggies opportunities. There are peach & apple orchards all over town.

Old 06-18-2013, 05:26 AM

Just spent a few hours at the house for the home inspection yesterday (Monday), which went fairly well. A couple of issues that will need to be tweaked, but overall the house is in good shape. One thing to note is one of the homeowners (wife) smoked in the house. They literally repainted the entire inside (finished basement, main floor, upstairs) all rooms, all ceilings, all trim. They used Kilz primer first. The cost was over $10,000. In addition they replaced all of the wall-to-wall carpeting in the bedrooms, and re-finished the hardwood floors. Even after all of that work, there is a distinct smell of stale cigarette smoke .

Because of this, we got the house for a price that the neighbors are not too happy about. Just something to keep in mind. People wonder why smoking is prohibited in so many places. If one person smoking can do this to a 3,500 sqr/ft house, I wonder what her lungs look like?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire