Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 06:30 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times

Advertisements

You guys are avoiding the fact that the payments are to support the babies and not the mothers. Where would a single mother with three kids find the time for a 30 hour/week job that would barely pay her taxes? Besides children are the future for all of us so why are you so fussy about who pays for raising them?

In addition you guys seem to want to punish the women for getting pregnant but never say anything about the guys. These boys dipped their wick and didn't pay for the oil. They should have been using contraceptives or taken responsibility for their actions.

Old 09-03-2013, 06:55 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
You guys are avoiding the fact that the payments are to support the babies and not the mothers. Where would a single mother with three kids find the time for a 30 hour/week job that would barely pay her taxes? Besides children are the future for all of us so why are you so fussy about who pays for raising them?
And that is why those babies should be placed with couples who could raise them well and properly. Children need more than just food to flourish. They also need good parenting by mature, responsible and productive parents. If these children of single mothers are indeed our future, then they need to be removed from their irresponsible mothers ASAP. These single mothers can't even manage their own personal lives competently, so why would we entrust them to raise their kids competently? And they are not good role models for their children.
Quote:
In addition you guys seem to want to punish the women for getting pregnant but never say anything about the guys. These boys dipped their wick and didn't pay for the oil. They should have been using contraceptives or taken responsibility for their actions.
No. As a 54 year old woman who has enjoyed life and never once gotten pregnant, it's still up to the woman to take birth control pills or use some other contraception to prevent pregnancy. Birth control pills are affordable and always available. Condoms can break. And a woman can all too easily find herself in a situation of being sexually compromised (roofies, rape etc...). So a smart woman is always prepared.

So at the very least, no welfare, food stamps or Section 8 unless they are on birth control. If they get pregnant, then their benefits get cut. No second chances. And let their families help them out. And garnish the wages of their sperm donor.

Old 09-03-2013, 07:03 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,373,819 times
Quote:

Greg I agree that the guys should be held responsible. However we live in an imperfect world where people have sex and produce offspring without being able (or in some cases even willing) to take care of them. In that same imperfect world, the males who sire these babies are often unwilling or unable to support their "families."

My point is that those who engage in the production of babies as a means of earning a living should not be able to do so. Currently the system rewards unwed females for having babies. This is i my opinion wrong. We don't have to go back to the days when a pregnant young woman was sent off to a far away relative and returned a year later with no baby and no one knowing for sure what happened. But the glorification of out-of-wedlock motherhood has to stop. This is the single biggest driving force causing long-term poverty.

Old 09-03-2013, 07:38 AM

88 posts, read 251,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
Any of you can quote all the studies that you want, but there are people out there who have learned how to WORK the system. I'm not proud of the fact that someone I'm related to is COMPLETELY dependent on public programs. Hasn't worked in years, decades, actually, and doesn't look for work, is NOT disabled, not social security. They live in a very nice 2 bedroom apartment (even though they lost custody of their only child due to substance abuse) complete with clubhouse and swimming pool--that they pay less than $300/month for, all utilities included (except cable) thanks to Section 8/voucher. Has an EBT card and proudly tells all the friends on facebook about the lobster, scallops, etc. that they are having for dinner. Full medical and completely free, even got braces for the daughter's teeth, yes, fully paid by the system. Lost their drivers license a year or so ago (after running an 80+ year old person off the road and blowing a .26), yet even after losing custody of a child and a drivers license, ALL programs are still in place and life is good when you're dividing your time between sitting by the pool and going to the beach all summer long while the rest of us work... If I didn't see it with my own eyes, I wouldn't believe it.

I just had to add this in, since I'm getting ready to write a check for the 150 gallons of oil that was just delivered to my house on Friday: I mentioned that utilities are included-this means FREE heat, right? In winter, while many of the working people that I know are taking steps to conserve every ounce of fuel that they can by caulking and taping up plastic over their windows (the type that you tighten up with a hair dryer), the person I referred to above opens up the windows to keep the air 'fresh' in the house because they smoke inside. When I expressed my surprise at why the windows were open when it was well under 32 degrees outside, the answer disgusted me: "Heat is free, so why not??"
Valerie,

I know of so many people in Ohio that are just like you described above. I used to work for a low-income property management co. as a secretary, and I would over hear the other staff discuss the bills they were paying for the renters. Here, they were getting cable and internet paid for too! There were drug busts constantly at the housing units. We also had someone work for us who, after a while, began to brag about how his girlfriend knew how to work the system. They too would eat lobster (in OH those red guys are way more expensive than in NH) and quit his job after 6 months. We fought his unemployment claim, as he had a job and quit, but they granted it anyway and he stayed on for over 1 year. Made claims while in jail for domestic violence. It's a great system.

Old 09-03-2013, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jct61765 View Post

The disabled veteran DESERVES any money he gets. He served this country. Wether in time of war or not. He volunteered to put his life on the line to protect this country. HE HAD A JOB.
Another kick in pants, a young man who served 4 years in the military and recently discharged (honorably) was offered a job making $50k a year in NY. Turned it down to live near his buddy in OH and go to school which the govt (military) is paying a full ride. Picks a community college, and applies for and gets unemployment and a food card. He worked in the offices and never 'on the line' while in the military. I have an issue with this!

Old 09-03-2013, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
And that is why those babies should be placed with couples who could raise them well and properly. Children need more than just food to flourish. They also need good parenting by mature, responsible and productive parents. If these children of single mothers are indeed our future, then they need to be removed from their irresponsible mothers ASAP. These single mothers can't even manage their own personal lives competently, so why would we entrust them to raise their kids competently? And they are not good role models for their children.
[b]
No. As a 54 year old woman who has enjoyed life and never once gotten pregnant, it's still up to the woman to take birth control pills or use some other contraception to prevent pregnancy. Birth control pills are affordable and always available. Condoms can break. And a woman can all too easily find herself in a situation of being sexually compromised (roofies, rape etc...). So a smart woman is always prepared.

So at the very least, no welfare, food stamps or Section 8 unless they are on birth control. If they get pregnant, then their benefits get cut. No second chances. And let their families help them out. And garnish the wages of their sperm donor.
Well said Miu!!!!

Old 09-03-2013, 08:18 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,942,077 times
Don't be fooled, Greg. Many of the 'single' mothers are single by choice--and in many situations, the boyfriend IS very much in the picture, and is only invisible to the .gov that is providing the benefits to the mother and child(ren). Thankfully, I think that we see this much less in New Hampshire. Keep in mind that I grew up in Mass, and many of my family members are still there. I could give you at least a dozen other stories of people who work the system and are now multi-generational government dependents. People that I know directly, NOT (as was said in an earlier post) 'a neighbor who has a friend who knows someone on welfare'. The example I gave earlier (single mom of 1, never married, has housing (a nice 2 br), medicaid & EBT still in place 3 years after losing custody due to drinking (THREE YEARS!) and is PERFECTLY able to work) is just the one who springs easily to mind because she is totally dependent on the .gov and that is just plain wrong.

Welfare (formerly known as 'charity') should be a hand up, not a hand out. The elderly, disabled and especially the disabled veterans (who are probably the last to ask for it!) SHOULD have the help they need, no doubt. I also don't have a problem with the food program WIC: this program is one of the few that limits the user to healthy & nutritional products. Orange juice, not orange soda. Fresh fruits & veggies, not chips and dips. Meat, chicken and seafood, not pre-packaged garbage that you 'cook' in the microwave.

I remember as a little kid, when my grandfather had a back injury and was disabled for a period of time. They were given USDA food: blocks of cheese & butter, loaves of bread, etc. and one thing that I remember to this day is the canned shredded chicken that they got, and watching my grandmother wash off as much of the gloppy gel as possible, to make chicken sandwiches, soup, etc.

The REAL issue here is that young single motherhood has been glorified as a way of life--and our American royalty (TV, movie & music stars) help to promote the lifestyle. There is no shame or even slight embarrassment in getting knocked up, and with the current reward system in place, why would there be?? My mom drives me a bit crazy when she laments on 'how things are now' but being in my 50s now, I have to say it's sure not the same world that I grew up in... those who know me personally will know what I mean here.

Quote:

Old 09-03-2013, 08:22 AM

489 posts, read 963,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
.....given USDA food: blocks of cheese & butter, loaves of bread, etc. and one thing that I remember to this day is the canned shredded chicken that they got.....
Add in powdered milk, and I remember that too.

-Mike

Old 09-03-2013, 08:36 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,942,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ5150 View Post
Add in powdered milk, and I remember that too.

-Mike
Oh yeah, powdered milk. I DO remember that, now that you mention it. I think I remember them cutting the 'chalky water' with real milk, to stretch it further...

Old 09-03-2013, 08:57 AM

489 posts, read 963,552 times
We did 3/4 powder and water, 1/4 real milk. That must have ruined milk for me. I don't drink animal milk anymore.

-Mike

Last edited by MJ5150; 09-03-2013 at 09:19 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
View detailed profiles of: