Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 02:48 PM

323 posts, read 346,723 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I've also posted this question on the Rhode Island forum so I apologize in advance for the similar postings.

I have received two offers - one from a company in northern Rhode Island and another for a company in Portsmouth, NH. I am trying to learn more about the areas before making a final decision.

On the RI post, I asked about RI towns, so I would like to ask the same about NH. When I visited there a couple of weeks ago, I accidentally made a wrong turn (or missed a turn) and ended up in Kittery, Maine which seemed pretty cute at first glance. Any thoughts on living in the Portsmouth/Kittery area?

A little background, my husband and I are both under 40, no children, 2 cocker spaniels (so puppy friendly would be awesome), enjoy the outdoors such as golfing, walking, coastal living etc (also, my husband LOVES RC car racing) and are really excited about moving to New England where we can experience seasons.

We live in Texas now. I was born and raised here and frankly am a little bored after over 30 years. My husband has been here for several years and is ready for a change too. We realize the cost of living is higher up in New England but we are certain we can adapt to that.

I would appreciate any information you can provide regarding New Hampshire and if you have insight into Rhode Island, even better! Just trying to weigh the pros and cons of the areas.

Thanks for your help everyone!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2013, 02:51 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,145,422 times
Portsmouth is great. If you live in ME, you and your spouse will be subject to the state income tax even if you work in NH. If you like the area, check out Dover and Somersworth as well, still fairly rural, but with all the amenities of a city.

Old 09-23-2013, 03:20 PM

323 posts, read 346,723 times
Thanks Buck! I googled Dover and it looks charming! Also, thanks for the note about the state income tax. Didn't even think of that. I read another post about "hidden fees" that make up for the lack of taxes in NH - are the "fees" outrageous?

Old 09-23-2013, 04:22 PM

Car registration is expensive if your car is new - it goes down every year for the first 5 years after and then levels out.

I don't know about any other fees.....

Old 09-23-2013, 04:35 PM

9,320 posts, read 14,934,641 times
I think you need to take the drive from RI to NH. It's not exactly next door. I would NEVER consider a commute from Ri to NH!

Old 09-23-2013, 05:27 PM

26,661 posts, read 28,737,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
I think you need to take the drive from RI to NH. It's not exactly next door. I would NEVER consider a commute from Ri to NH!
Did they say something about commuting?

If I had a job offer around Portsmouth I would take it. Hands down. Rhode Island just, well, I don't know. It has great beaches and a lot of coastline and NH has only around 19 miles of beaches but they are great too. Portsmouth has a lot going on and you can get up into Maine easily. You can also get into Boston, not that easily but probably within an hour or so. Rhode Island, to me, is kind of boring. I went to grad school there and didn't care for it that much. It has Providence and you can get to Boston if you are a city person. I guess if you grew up there you might like it.

Old 09-23-2013, 05:42 PM

Too many NY'ers in RI for me.....

Old 09-23-2013, 05:48 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,399,916 times
Why would anyone voluntarily choose to live in RI?

Old 09-23-2013, 05:54 PM

26,432 posts, read 46,657,478 times
RI is a poorly run state, would not recommend it.

Old 09-23-2013, 06:09 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,399,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
RI is a poorly run state, would not recommend it.

Don't beat around the bush. RI is a toilet!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire