Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 02:55 PM

31 posts, read 55,215 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all the input/suggestions and reality break. I have some hard thinking to do - and research. But this provided at some starting point. Taxes, scarcity of decent jobs seem to be the biggest road blocks - that - and the logistics of moving half way across the country where I don't know a soul.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2014, 08:55 PM

61 posts, read 88,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jepa View Post
... I have some hard thinking to do - and research. ...
I don't know if you've seen this before, but I've found it useful in doing comparisons: Mercatus Freedom Map

Old 05-27-2014, 07:50 AM

56 posts, read 78,796 times
Quote:
Thanks for all the input/suggestions and reality break. I have some hard thinking to do - and research. But this provided at some starting point. Taxes, scarcity of decent jobs seem to be the biggest road blocks - that - and the logistics of moving half way across the country where I don't know a soul.

IMO if you can stand the winters NH is a great place to live. However it's very difficult to make a cross country move as you've stated. If you get nail down the logistics and make it work I think you'd be happy here.

Old 05-27-2014, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsChicago View Post
I don't know if you've seen this before, but I've found it useful in doing comparisons: [URL="http://freedominthe50states.org/"]Mercatus Freedom Map[/URL]

Have not seen this...I love this map---thanks for the link!!

Old 05-27-2014, 03:27 PM

120 posts, read 222,990 times
already had 6 ticks this yr... in my lawn I got 4 of them... Welcome to NH

Old 05-30-2014, 02:04 AM

3 posts, read 4,559 times
Depending on how conservative you are, you might want to check out Enfield, NH (tea party central). Its not my thing but if I were conservative it would be. Its a cute town. Any college town is going to have a liberal flavor to it.

Old 05-30-2014, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klos360 View Post
Depending on how conservative you are, you might want to check out Enfield, NH (tea party central). Its not my thing but if I were conservative it would be. Its a cute town. Any college town is going to have a liberal flavor to it.
I'm pretty conservative. Tea Party -if done right - is fine with me. And your right - college towns tend to be liberal enclaves.

Thanks for the suggestion---I'll check it out.

Old 04-30-2015, 12:25 PM

13 posts, read 23,119 times
Quote:
I'm pretty conservative. Tea Party -if done right - is fine with me. And your right - college towns tend to be liberal enclaves.

Thanks for the suggestion---I'll check it out.
Not sure if you'll see this, but had to ask if you've decided where to move? We currently live in MA and are trying to buy a property in NH this summer.

Old 04-30-2015, 01:25 PM

613 posts, read 944,999 times
Quote:

Where do I go. I'd like an old farm house with a little land. Would like to be as self sufficient as possible. Growing my own vegetables, some chickens etc.,---. I'll need to work and would like to be within an hour of a decent size town/city.

From what I gather there is a 'division' of sorts in NH---the northern part v. the southern part (which seems more urban and closer to Taxachussets). I am a polite person, respectful of those who are native to the area. I want what you have - so I am not an activist looking and scheming to bring in progressive liberal bull****.
I'm a Democrat. I'm not an "activist looking and scheming to bring in progressive liberal bull****."
I don't see the need for "conservatives" to so often be insulting to "progressives", or "liberals"--while they claim, as you did, that you are a "polite person", & "respectful".

I recently bought a house in S. NH. I have yet to meet any "activists looking and scheming to bring in progressive liberal bull****."[/i] Everyone I've met here is pretty polite & friendly, but I have no clue as to their politics.

You might start off--when you're moving--by not insulting 1/2 the people of the state you're moving to. And you can vote--that's the way it works in the USA--half the people are Democrats, half conservatives..........or why not move to a "redder state", like Alabama......so as to lesson the chance of your encountering anyone who doesn't vote like you do.....

Old 04-30-2015, 02:12 PM

19,807 posts, read 9,367,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
If you come in late summer / early fall, you'll fall in love and be enchanted. If you want to see NH with bed hair and no makeup, come in late April.
Thanks for the laugh of the day!!

Also, any thoughts about the best time of year to look for a retirement home or land?

We have always vacationed in NH in October, when we think NH is at its most beautiful, but we also know that more homes are listed for sale in the summer. What, in your opinion, would be the optimal time that would give us the most choices but would not sway us too much by the beauty of an NH autumn?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire