Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 12:21 PM

10,926 posts, read 22,000,411 times

Advertisements

So I'm rather confused on this whole thing. Spice is not illegal, yet businesses are having their licenses suspended and people are getting arrested over it? Someone enlighten me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2014, 12:56 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,674,058 times
Read the full text of the declaration, the governor can go after the product due to "imminent peril to public health", it's a short-term order:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie
The declaration of a State of Emergency triggers the Department of Health and Human Services public health powers under RSA 21-P:53 or any other applicable statute to investigate, isolate or quarantine and require the destruction of the commodity in question. The department will work closely with local police departments to quarantine the "Bubblegum Flavor" of "Smacked!".

Old 08-16-2014, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
Read the full text of the declaration, the governor can go after the product due to "imminent peril to public health", it's a short-term order:
So in a nutshell, they can use this imminent peril (or more correctly worded, protect the stupid people from themselves) to suspend businesses and arrest people.

Old 08-16-2014, 08:38 PM

1,274 posts, read 2,383,425 times
That stuff is nasty. Worse than pot because of the inconsistency in manufacturing. Apparently there's a lot of bad batches out there causing people to OD. Can't believe people are stupid enough to give this stuff a shot.

Old 08-17-2014, 05:18 AM

Just doesn't make any sense. A guy is being charged with felony drug sales for selling a legal product.

Kids today don't seem all that bright. When I was a kid we always stuck to the established inebriants, today it seems like they'll smoke/snort anything they have handy.

Old 08-17-2014, 05:56 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,674,058 times
Default Liberty Herbal Incense, made in New Hampshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Just doesn't make any sense. A guy is being charged with felony drug sales for selling a legal product. Kids today don't seem all that bright. When I was a kid we always stuck to the established inebriants, today it seems like they'll smoke/snort anything they have handy.
Not all variants of "Spice" are legal products. Several years ago, the DEA added 5 of the "Spice" chemicals to the controlled substance Schedule I, those five drugs are illegal to possess and sell nationwide.

One maker, Liberty Herbal Incense, is based in New Hampshire.

While the main website index page is down, the above PDF is still available on their website.
Attached Thumbnails
What's with the states actions on selling spice?-libertyherb.png  

Old 08-17-2014, 05:58 AM

Ok, that explains it

Old 08-17-2014, 04:26 PM

2,649 posts, read 3,544,715 times
The products currently in question are legal for sale ( used as intended) As someone else stated following the logic used by our "governor" we should be shutting down Walmarts for selling modeling glue..ah but this is what you get when you steadfastly refuse to legalize the real thing based on Reefer Madness era misinformation and stupidity

Old 08-17-2014, 08:21 PM

611 posts, read 1,205,196 times
From what I understand, Spice is only considered synthetic marijuana because it binds to the same receptors as pot. The effects (and side effects) that I have seen listed are nothing like marijuana. It also sounds like a shady operation where the distributor shows up in a car selling this to mini marts that keep it behind the counter where customers "in the know" ask for it directly. It sounds like many of the side effects are similar to that of the bath salts we have been reading about in the news which is pretty nasty stuff. I have been told that the ingredients in Spice may be legal, but combined it makes for some pretty toxic stuff. Each batch may be different from the last. My experience with suspected Spice OD in the hospital has been where the patient was so delirius they couldn't say what they took and the standard hospital lab tests don't pick it up. Lab samples have to be sent out and take days to come back.

I agree with your take on things, Dave...seems like the youth of today is willing to put about anything in their body regardless of the risk. Then when they get sick, they use up tons of resources and have no means of paying for it.

This is all new stuff for me. I spent most of my health care career out in Washington where methamphetamines were the issue. That's some nasty stuff too but at least a urine tox screen will pick it up.

Old 08-17-2014, 08:40 PM

2,649 posts, read 3,544,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lady fern View Post
From what I understand, Spice is only considered synthetic marijuana because it binds to the same receptors as pot. The effects (and side effects) that I have seen listed are nothing like marijuana. It also sounds like a shady operation where the distributor shows up in a car selling this to mini marts that keep it behind the counter where customers "in the know" ask for it directly. It sounds like many of the side effects are similar to that of the bath salts we have been reading about in the news which is pretty nasty stuff. I have been told that the ingredients in Spice may be legal, but combined it makes for some pretty toxic stuff. Each batch may be different from the last. My experience with suspected Spice OD in the hospital has been where the patient was so delirius they couldn't say what they took and the standard hospital lab tests don't pick it up. Lab samples have to be sent out and take days to come back.

I agree with your take on things, Dave...seems like the youth of today is willing to put about anything in their body regardless of the risk. Then when they get sick, they use up tons of resources and have no means of paying for it.

This is all new stuff for me. I spent most of my health care career out in Washington where methamphetamines were the issue. That's some nasty stuff too but at least a urine tox screen will pick it up.
I don't know if they are that different then those who would search the streets at night to find the micro dot they dropped earlier ( friend of mine, early 70's )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire