Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 10:33 AM

1,999 posts, read 10,568,482 times

Advertisements

Read this short piece on NH and then Maine. Maine has people flocking in there. NH seems to be losing population. Why? Maine has taxes I, personally, will not pay despite the wonderful scenery and activities. NH has about the same activities and is closer to major metros. Is it just me?

New Hampshire Real Estate, Manchester, Nashua, Concord, Salem, Dover

Why is Maine gaining so much and NH losing so much in population because, get this from the article, the people in NH are moving out due to the cold! Maine is even colder, isn't it? I just do not get this at all.
This is part of my continuing question: why do people move to Maine when the taxes are so high compared to NH where they aren't really? Is the cost of living THAT much cheaper in Maine? I guess it must be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2008, 10:45 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,329,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
Read this short piece on NH and then Maine. Maine has people flocking in there. NH seems to be losing population. Why? Maine has taxes I, personally, will not pay despite the wonderful scenery and activities. NH has about the same activities and is closer to major metros. Is it just me?

New Hampshire Real Estate, Manchester, Nashua, Concord, Salem, Dover

Why is Maine gaining so much and NH losing so much in population because, get this from the article, the people in NH are moving out due to the cold! Maine is even colder, isn't it? I just do not get this at all.
This is part of my continuing question: why do people move to Maine when the taxes are so high compared to NH where they aren't really? Is the cost of living THAT much cheaper in Maine? I guess it must be.

There has to be something wrong with this article. NH is not losing population. Every other day a farm is plowed over for a new development. I do not understand.

Old 01-02-2008, 11:08 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
If the article were even vaguely accurate I would attribute this to lower real estate prices within commuting distance of employment. Given the current prices of real estate I would not be able to afford to buy the condo I currently own on my current salary. One example is the graduates of our finest high schools, and UNH, cannot afford to buy in their own communities. In addition the North Country has been hemorrhaging jobs as the paper mills and other industry close. Like many other places New Hampshire is doing fine on the surface but has been living off deteriorating infrastructure and borrowed money for far too long. Like an old oak tree we have heart rot in the center of our economy. The real estate price crash is just the first of the storms likely to take the rest of the tree down.

Old 01-02-2008, 11:09 AM

I recently read that NH is to grow more than the other New England States by 2030, which made sense to me due to the aging retirees trying to avoid taxes. See how confusing this can be?

Old 01-02-2008, 11:16 AM

New Hampshire towns just love retired folk. Retirees don't have kids but still pay high property taxes. Good for the budgets. They sometimes also pay state dividend taxes.

Old 01-02-2008, 01:06 PM

GregW: You seem like the voice of analytical reason, what do you foresee in NH future? I think it will become a retirees' State within 10 years myself, since it does not seem to be drawing any major companies or businesses there.
What are your papers and media saying about the future of NH?

Old 01-02-2008, 02:22 PM

205 posts, read 946,944 times
The info on that website about NH losing population is incorrect. According to the U.S. Census Bureau from July 1, 2006 to July 1, 2007 NH had an increase in population of 4,007 people. Maine had an increase of 2,297. You can see from data since 2000 this has been the case. NH's #'s are increasing at a rate higher than Maine's and we are a much smaller state in area.

Population Estimates Change (http://www.census.gov/popest/states/NST-pop-chg.html - broken link)

Unfortunately, just because someone makes a statement on a website, doesn't make it fact.

Old 01-03-2008, 05:02 AM

TW - Thank you for the question. "What do you foresee in NH future?" That is a difficult problem that I have been thinking about for quite a while but have not yet put on paper. I do not want to answer you question in a flippant manner so I will take the time to get it organized and will present it on the forum some time in the near future.

There is much to be said about NH as a retirement state except for the current weather. I used to be able to handle this cold but not so well any more. Eventually I want to snow bird to central New Mexico to get away from the snow, gloom and cold.

Old 01-03-2008, 11:14 PM

9,419 posts, read 11,170,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
TW - Thank you for the question. "What do you foresee in NH future?" That is a difficult problem that I have been thinking about for quite a while but have not yet put on paper. I do not want to answer you question in a flippant manner so I will take the time to get it organized and will present it on the forum some time in the near future.

There is much to be said about NH as a retirement state except for the current weather. I used to be able to handle this cold but not so well any more. Eventually I want to snow bird to central New Mexico to get away from the snow, gloom and cold.
I look forward to seeing your views. We are now looking at retirement in NH, VT, or ME and their various + & - factors.

Old 01-04-2008, 05:13 PM

49 posts, read 166,588 times
All of new england is slowly being drained of its most prosperous and ambitious. Those who are leaving, like me, are going because the business climate here is horrible. When we leave, we take with us both human and financial capital out of New England. Let me give you an example. I own several businees that are energy intensive in both RI and CT. Energy costs are twice what they were only two years ago. The state and towns refuse to invest in any new technology or infrastucture to increase the supply, hence lower the costs. In fact, over the past several years, several proposals have been floated, such as a LNG termanal in LI Sound. Rejected! Only this week, our govenor asked the federal government to increase fuel assistance to low income families. Why ask the feds for fuel when we could solve our own problems by investing in the infrastructure? I have been West and South over the past three years and have been impressed by the welcoming attitude toward business. Stay here and my business stagnats - move and I thirive. Kinda sucks - but just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire