Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 09:15 AM

885 posts, read 1,167,385 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all replies. Seems I have more research to do. The problem is, hubby hates the south- too hot and he doesn't like the southern culture. I don't like the winter: cold and snow. However, I also can't take the heat and humidity. I actually get sick. Glad we still have time (about 5 yrs) before retirement and think about what would be best for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2015, 10:34 AM

1,274 posts, read 2,383,425 times
Go west to Colorado or anywhere else in the Intermountain West. Hot, but no humidity. Makes all the difference.

Old 10-08-2015, 02:12 PM

82 posts, read 107,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrykaren View Post
Thanks for all replies. Seems I have more research to do. The problem is, hubby hates the south- too hot and he doesn't like the southern culture. I don't like the winter: cold and snow. However, I also can't take the heat and humidity. I actually get sick. Glad we still have time (about 5 yrs) before retirement and think about what would be best for us.
Sounds like you should be in the Southwest or Pacific Northwest. Both would be excellent compromises. In NH you will spend a significant portion of your budget on heat, you will be inside for more then half the year, you may be in a rural area away from good medical facilities, the risk of slips and falls on the ice is very real and gets more likely as we age (in fact such slips account for a large percentage of people who end up in nursing homes) and the communities in Northern New England are pretty closed. If you did not grow up there you will find it hard to meet people and make friends. I would honestly reconsider if I were you.

Old 10-08-2015, 03:26 PM

4,899 posts, read 3,555,388 times
why are so many people being negative all the time and go as far as actually encouraging some people NOT to move here?

some folks like to rent first anyway, to see if it's a fit. this is what I would recommend.

Old 10-09-2015, 06:34 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,993,716 times
Payson, Arizona.

Or Eager and Springerville, Arizona.

The town looks just like New Hampshire.
Beautiful trees, woods, and mountains.

Some snow but not that much.

Take a drive across country and take a look before jumping in on one spot.

Old 10-13-2015, 01:17 PM

27 posts, read 28,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2ShiningC View Post
This is very generic.
Case at point. I grew up in Brookline. I had my own house there 1998 - 2014. The taxes on my house had decreased the last couple years I was there. Didn't get into the why's of it, just paid with a smile as best I could.

According to the rate on the link above, it states Brookline at 24.5. Let's say someone is trying to compare a Brookline home to another town's home. Let's assume they are looking for something around 300K. So a 300K home in Brookline, the tax will be 300K/1000 * 24.5..? Not quite. Homes in Brookline are valued for tax purposes at 122% of their value. So your 300K home is now "valued" at 366K for tax purposes. At the mentioned 24.5 rate - that extra 66K just added another ~$1600 to your tax bill. I can only speak for what know about Brookline - other towns are likely more or less than the 122%. There could be something relavant online or available at the state.

As a help - to those that own their homes, with the IRS standard deductions increasing to the point where even NH property taxes aren't enough to break that barrier, speak to your town hall and see if you can pay two years property taxes in one year. What I did was, pay the Dec property bill in Jan (yes, slight late fee), then pay June on time, then in Dec, Pay for the next June also. Some towns are not able to manage that in accounting, so you might have to work with them if they can alter the way they do the books. It hurts the first year by paying 2 years in one, but if you can run your own budget, it's a great tax benefit. If you have a mortgage on your home, pay state income taxes or have a huge amount of deductions otherwise, this might not be to your benefit. As always, consult your local tax professional as your case is personal to you.

Old 10-13-2015, 03:35 PM

26,423 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Payson, Arizona.

Or Eager and Springerville, Arizona.

The town looks just like New Hampshire.
Beautiful trees, woods, and mountains.

Some snow but not that much.

Take a drive across country and take a look before jumping in on one spot.
I know both areas and Payson area is not like New Hampshire at all, much drier overall, landscape and tree types not at all similar. Wildfire prone as well! Snow there has been decreasing overall.

Retirees can find moderate cost areas of NH without difficulty. It just takes a bit of research to choose a town with lower taxes and have multiple heat sources lined up. Very old houses can be prohibitively expensive for those that don't have $$$ to invest in the upkeep/upgrades, etc.

Old 10-15-2015, 07:51 PM

605 posts, read 625,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveusaf View Post
my wife and I both hate the heat and humidity of the South and we're both from here so there was no compromise needed when it was time to settle down for good.
I don't get this. I hate the heat and humidity of the Northeast. Outdoor activities that involve any degree of effort (like hiking) are extremely unpleasant here in the summer. Summer camping has become an awful experience, compared to 30 years ago when the nights were usually cool. I understand that the South is hotter and that the heat covers more months, but don't kid yourself about the stereotype of the cool Northeast summer. It's simply not true anymore. The difference between the North and the South may be inhumanly hot versus insanely hot. This past summer was very humid in New Hampshire and there was a true heat wave in September.

Old 10-15-2015, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaireM View Post
Sounds like you should be in the Southwest or Pacific Northwest. Both would be excellent compromises. In NH you will spend a significant portion of your budget on heat, you will be inside for more then half the year, you may be in a rural area away from good medical facilities, the risk of slips and falls on the ice is very real and gets more likely as we age (in fact such slips account for a large percentage of people who end up in nursing homes) and the communities in Northern New England are pretty closed. If you did not grow up there you will find it hard to meet people and make friends. I would honestly reconsider if I were you.
I recommend Oregon east of the Cascades. Reasonable summer temperatures and no humidity. Not as rainy as Washington. Very friendly people in Oregon---much friendlier than New Hampshire and you feel it everywhere.

Old 10-15-2015, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcheapguy View Post
What I did was, pay the Dec property bill in Jan (yes, slight late fee), then pay June on time, then in Dec, Pay for the next June also. it's a great tax benefit.
I never heard of this before. It sounds like a good idea. Can anyone confirm it it works?

My only concern is that itemizing deductions invites an audit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire