Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 07:19 AM

4 posts, read 3,813 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I have searched high and low (including this forum) for days to find some info relevant to my situation, but have come up with nothing. This forum seems to be the best place to get some local advice, so here goes...

I recently bought a waterfront property on the Salmon Falls River. Half of the land (about an acre, including all ~200ft of water frontage) is undeveloped woods. The previous owners apparently didn't care about the water frontage at all and never even made a trail to lead back there from the house. I purchased this property primarily for the water frontage, so I will certainly be using it.

Here's the issue; The undeveloped land seems to be a local hang out for underage drinkers (and other disrespectful people), and is littered with garbage, mostly empty beer cases, cans, and cups. I am prepared to clean up the land so we can enjoy it, but I will be installing a fence to separate my yard from the state land, as well as put up private property / no trespassing signs. I know this won't stop everyone from using my yard as their local dump, but hopefully it will help.

My question to you all is, is there any way I could request the state of NH to put up a fence (on the state land side) to protect my property from public abuse? Would they even consider it, and who would I ask? Aside from the personal cost savings to me, a state fence would not have to comply with the local [zoning] height restriction of 6ft. The other side of the river is the State of Maine, and on that side there is a 10ft chain link fence (and no trash lining the shore).

Does anyone have any experience with an issue like this or have any advice on where I should start?

Thank You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2015, 09:12 AM

1,200 posts, read 2,218,108 times
Honestly you'd probably be pissing in to the wind trying to have the state pay for it. Not to mention why should everyone else pay for your choice of a property? Put up a fence, no trespassing signs, security cameras with alerts to your phone. When someone is trespassing or littering call your local PD or handle it yourself.

Old 09-02-2015, 10:42 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,624,310 times
You don't specify which stretch of the river.

Assuming you're new to the area, some networking and word of mouth at least might help. You might not even have to build a fence if it's a small community and you casually put out the word that you're thinking of taking these steps.

Depends on who's doing the partying out there, but if it's teenagers, they're likely going to want to avoid a scenario where the cops would come looking for them, or where you're telling their folks about their activities. Maybe it's people your own age who you'd like to invite to come drink with you. Who knows.

But I'd start by asking around - you can probably find something out about 'who' it is coming out to party on your land, and how often. Then base your strategy accordingly. Just reaching out to neighbors and asking the questions may ward off whoever has been coming.

TLDR: Before you invest in all that stuff, I'd try networking and community building first.

Old 09-02-2015, 08:15 PM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,191,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuFa View Post
I recently bought a waterfront property on the Salmon Falls River. Half of the land (about an acre, including all ~200ft of water frontage) is undeveloped woods. The previous owners apparently didn't care about the water frontage at all and never even made a trail to lead back there from the house. I purchased this property primarily for the water frontage, so I will certainly be using it.

Here's the issue; The undeveloped land seems to be a local hang out for underage drinkers (and other disrespectful people), and is littered with garbage, mostly empty beer cases, cans, and cups. I am prepared to clean up the land so we can enjoy it, but I will be installing a fence to separate my yard from the state land, as well as put up private property / no trespassing signs. I know this won't stop everyone from using my yard as their local dump, but hopefully it will help.
So we are talking about your WHOLE property being an acre of land... and half of it, a half acre is where the kids have been drinking?

Just clean it up and start using the area in an obvious way. What about putting up some floodlights with a motion detector? Just until the locals have broken the habit of using your land for their party hangout. And think about getting a dog, one that will bark at intruders.

You also might want to get your land surveyed and put up some sort of token fence or markers to delineate what is your land.

Old 09-02-2015, 09:09 PM

4 posts, read 3,813 times
No, it is more than an acre. The entire property is a little less than 2 acres. About an acre is cleared and used, and the other acre is the undeveloped land that I want to clean up and physically separate from the state owned land.

I already have a wonderful dog, who loves all people, and is in no way an attack dog. I cannot consider getting an aggressive dog that will bark at everyone.

When I bought the home, I was "told" that a survey had been done, but I have so far been unable to locate or acquire it. I know, this is on me, and looking back I should have made it a condition of purchase, but I didn't, and that is history now. What I do know is that the land that is now owned by the state used to be [what is now] my property but was taken by the state about 30 years ago. The document that the seller claimed was a survey, is a "condemnation of land" document that references the area that the state took possession of, but the reference "markers" that define the boundaries are not physical items that one can physically see or find by walking the property. I will probably have to get my own survey done in the end to determine where my property actually ends, but I was hoping to avoid that.

Thank you everyone for you suggestions so far.

Old 09-03-2015, 01:13 AM

6,575 posts, read 6,748,143 times
You do need to do your on survey first, before any other action. As far as the state of NH becoming involved, especially if money is involved, well, NH is not anywhere near the state she used to be back in the day when I grew up, but she's still too cheap to be handing out cash to help you build a fence You might want to call state government in Concord. They will direct you to the right department. Good luck.

Old 09-03-2015, 05:12 AM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,191,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuFa View Post
No, it is more than an acre. The entire property is a little less than 2 acres. About an acre is cleared and used, and the other acre is the undeveloped land that I want to clean up and physically separate from the state owned land.
Okay, But again, a 2-acre plot isn't all that big. Get the land surveyed, mark it off with no trespassing signs, and walk through the area periodically. Take early evening strolls. I really think that once the party-ers notice the signs of your work and presence, they will find a new place to hang out at.

You could also clean the area up and post a discrete trail-cam and see how much activity is actually going on back there. Otherwise, I suspect that most of the activity is during the warm weather months, so once the temperatures drop you aren't going to be bothered by them until spring.

Old 09-03-2015, 05:45 AM

8,272 posts, read 11,002,223 times
You don't state how remote this property is.
Is it on a paved road or a class 6 dirt road.
Are there clearly marked property pins?
Is the property lines all woods to river?
Do you have electricity on this lot?
Do you live on the lot?
Where are the kids/drinkers parking?

Bottom line. The taxpayers don't normally provide a fence for private property. Except along highways.
If you want a fence it will involve potentially a great deal of money. And what's to stop the kids/drinkers to cut the fence? Or just boat in or walk in water to your spot?
Flood lights and DVR security cameras may be required.
All adds a great deal of investment on your part.

Old 09-03-2015, 11:05 AM

540 posts, read 590,049 times
Never hurts to ask right? I wouldn't get my hopes up though..

Old 09-03-2015, 11:20 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,678,790 times
I suspect that if you post the land and also clear out sufficient brush (and maybe a few trees) that anybody partying in there is easily visible from the land and from the river, teens will find somewhere else to party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
View detailed profiles of: