Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 06:57 AM

4,899 posts, read 3,562,023 times

Advertisements

I'm just curious...

For those on here who live in rural towns, how far are you from the grocery store, pharmacy, etc?

Do you get used to the long drives to go anywhere (errands, dinner)?

I'm trying to convince myself that I will adapt to being ~20 minutes each way to the nearest grocery store. Coming from a place where I used to be able to walk to one!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2015, 07:55 AM

1,751 posts, read 885,892 times
I'm not sure where you are located but in the Seacoast NH area, I don't think there is a town where it takes 20 min to get to a grocery store. From here, I can be at Market Basket next town over in 5 minutes (assuming I'm not behind a school bus). Or to Shaws the next town over in other direction in under 10 min. Hannaford one town over in about 8 min.

We also have a convenience store in town for quick stuff like milk, egg, bread, etc. Bank and gas station in town too, although both closed Sundays. OK for a town of about 5400 people.

Old 09-17-2015, 09:18 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,964,962 times
Your ability to acclimate to a more rural lifestyle will depend greatly on your reason(s) for doing so. There is a definite tradeoff, trading convenience for peace & quiet.

I usually wouldn't recommend buying a home in an area where you feel isolated. You might rationalize and think that you will just get used to it, but its likely that you will become that person who laments to your neighbors about all of the convenience you left behind, and hopes that a Market Basket, CVS and Starbucks decides to open intown. We've had a few of those here on CD, still complaining 5+ years later...

Move to the sticks BECAUSE YOU WANT TO experience the more laid-back lifestyle, not because you feel that you have to 'settle'.

And if you do decide on the little town that you are considering, get in the habit of leaving a cooler in your trunk, for unexpected stops at the store on your way home. Some of your neighbors may sell fresh eggs on the side of the road-way better than store-bought

Old 09-17-2015, 11:10 AM

Val, thanks for your insights, as always. We are looking at a town that probably some don't consider remote, but I do. It's been a real struggle for DH and I since that's what he wants, but I don't. We've exhausted looking at our preferred areas (Bedford and Amherst). There is barely anything new coming on the market for the last month or so... that we're interested in.

The area we're focusing on will not have any amenities or conveniences, ever. That's by design. You have to travel to other towns for anything, even gas or a bank. This really bothers me.

For the record, it's brand new construction and will be quite a large development when complete, probably in 2-3 years. There are a couple of dozen homes built already and we've spoken to quite a few of the residents. Everyone's nice, no red flags at all about the people, schools or town in general... other than it's rural by design and will STAY that way. Also, property taxes are really high because there is literally no business (except a general, ice cream and hardware store) to help offset the tax burden. Even Amherst's taxes are lower.

There are some farms near-by with fresh eggs, cheese and milk. So that could be nice... it's just so out of my "comfort zone" or what I am used to. I just wonder if I will be able to adapt.

Old 09-17-2015, 01:53 PM

491 posts, read 1,374,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
The area we're focusing on will not have any amenities or conveniences, ever. That's by design. You have to travel to other towns for anything, even gas or a bank. This really bothers me.
If you give us the name of the "area you are focusing on" we can give you some advice if we're familiar with that area.

Rural means different things to different people. There is, IMHO, compromise.
I once lived in Nashua very close to the Merrimack border. A 10 minute bike ride, 3 minute car ride, could take me either to 101A (Target, Home Depot, Market Basket galore) or take me past a quaint farm in Merrimack and a woodsy street.

I live in Hollis, 10 minutes by car to Hanniford, Home Depot, Christmas Tree Shops, etc. 15 minutes to downtown Nashua. Or I can walk to 10 acres of conservation land out my back door or a working farm two or three doors down. Tractors drive by hourly.

Old 09-17-2015, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avlis13013 View Post
If you give us the name of the "area you are focusing on" we can give you some advice if we're familiar with that area.

Rural means different things to different people. There is, IMHO, compromise.
I once lived in Nashua very close to the Merrimack border. A 10 minute bike ride, 3 minute car ride, could take me either to 101A (Target, Home Depot, Market Basket galore) or take me past a quaint farm in Merrimack and a woodsy street.

I live in Hollis, 10 minutes by car to Hanniford, Home Depot, Christmas Tree Shops, etc. 15 minutes to downtown Nashua. Or I can walk to 10 acres of conservation land out my back door or a working farm two or three doors down. Tractors drive by hourly.
Chester

nearest store or amenity is 20 minutes away (unless you go to the general store). I've never lived in a town that doesn't even have a grocery store, pharmacy, bank or a gas station. Forget about Starbucks or a restaurant... I just didn't think it was too much to expect the aforementioned conveniences.

I love the shopping Nashua, and the nearest route to Nashua from there is 45 minutes!

Hollis is not an option. DH works on the Seacoast.

Old 09-17-2015, 03:27 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,630,023 times
Chester is for people who want to be 20 min from everything.

Keep in mind you aren't just 20 minutes from a store, you're also 20 min from the Mall of NH or downtown Manch. So it's basically 10-15 min window has almost nothing, but 20 min out you suddenly have a lot of options.

Exeter or Dover would perhaps be somewhat more to your liking, or even Raymond in terms of actually having 'something' within a short drive.

Old 09-17-2015, 03:33 PM

174 posts, read 232,921 times
I live in Deerfield and Raymond is the closest stores (Hannaford) and pharmacies. We are about 12-15 minutes away. Would like them closer but not happening, We are no more than 15-18 minutes from the Mall of NH which isn't bad considering when we lived in Nashua we were 4 miles from the mall and took us 25 minutes to get there.

Old 09-17-2015, 03:34 PM

386 posts, read 401,638 times
We haven't moved in yet, but it will be 20-25 min drive from our place in Sandwich to a major grocery store. We are sure it will not be problem for us because the distance is about the same as what we currently deal with at our house in CT.

Lou

Old 09-17-2015, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bler144 View Post
Chester is for people who want to be 20 min from everything.

Keep in mind you aren't just 20 minutes from a store, you're also 20 min from the Mall of NH or downtown Manch. So it's basically 10-15 min window has almost nothing, but 20 min out you suddenly have a lot of options.

Exeter or Dover would perhaps be somewhat more to your liking, or even Raymond in terms of actually having 'something' within a short drive.
We don't care for Dover or Raymond. Exeter is too $ for what you get in return.

as for mall of Manchester - or Manchester in general, it's more like 30 each way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire