Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 06:51 PM

6,570 posts, read 6,736,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb2017 View Post
Aldi's is great for the basics. I am sad to see that all the NH Aldi's are in the very southern part of the state. I would love for them to open one in the Lakes Region. I just made an offer on a house there and I don't see any Market Baskets either on the northeast side of Lake Winnipesaukee, just Hannaford. Is that all there is up there? How does that one rate?
The only Market Basket near the Lakes Region is in Tilton. You can go down to the MB in Rochester from the northeast side of the lake. Hannaford is a solid store, but not as inexpensive as MB.

Last edited by Brave Stranger; 06-12-2017 at 07:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2017, 07:35 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,670,073 times
Lightbulb Wegmans is needed in New Hampshire

If you make it down to Burlington, check out the new Wegmans to see what a good grocery store looks like. While wegmans is opening two additional MA stores over the next year 18 months, no official plans to expand into NH anytime soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebNashua View Post
One thing I like very much about MB is that they always have tons of check-out lines open. I feel like I never wait there, no matter how busy the store is. Hannifords? You might have three lanes, one of which is 15 items or less.
Was at Hannaford today, they had all the self checkouts open, one 15-item, and one "regular" lane. Shaw's is similarly under-staffed for cashiers.

Old 06-12-2017, 11:04 PM

939 posts, read 505,594 times
Shaw's has awesome sales (especially 3 day sales); other grocery stores as well like Hannafords- if you pick your spots, are adaptable and follow the sales, your just as well off. I get sick of multiple MBs in my area always being either out-of-stock on something- or it would appear at times, not stocked because a high school kid doesn't carefully follow the tags and fills it with the wrong item. Also things on sale- particularly bananas- gets annoying that without fail, every last bushel of bananas is hulkish green and won't be ripe enough to peel for a week. On the positive, if you ignore what's on sale and buy the same thing every week, you certainly still will spend far less at M.B, and checkout even at crowded moments is smooth and efficient; always a bagger as well. Shaw's not only is constantly understaffed, but myself or someone in front of me gets held-up; someone buys cigarettes and the employee wanders off to the customer service area and helplessly looks for the right brand for 3 minutes, or a gift card doesn't scan properly- ALWAYS a problem at check-out; their POP is a joke.

Old 06-13-2017, 06:33 AM
KCZ

4,669 posts, read 3,663,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
Was at Hannaford today, they had all the self checkouts open, one 15-item, and one "regular" lane. Shaw's is similarly under-staffed for cashiers.

I wish stores had more self-checkouts for people with full carts who want to bag their own stuff. I have a back injury and can't manage heavy bags, nor do I want my grapes on the bottom of milk jugs and canned tomatoes. I also wish the self-checkouts would allow for your own shopping bags instead of setting off the scale alarm.

Old 06-13-2017, 08:53 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last1Standing View Post
Following up on this topic a year and a half later, Market Basket fruit prices have skyrocketed. They used to have quite a few choices for 99 cents or $1.29 a lb. Average is now $2.50 a lb; grapes $3-$4 a lb. I'm shopping for fruits more and more at Hannaford. MB vegetables are still reasonable. Wages have not kept up with these higher prices.

Not seeing this. They're still 25-50% (50% on salad stuff!) cheaper than any other options near me.

I love MB.

Old 06-18-2017, 11:24 AM

613 posts, read 944,375 times
I love the new MB store in Seabrook (not the old one near Walmart; the nice, well laid out, new one across from Lowes). It's *almost* as good as Wegmans. I'm a serious price shopper, & I've never noticed high prices at MB--just go to a shaw's, & compare. The "everyday" prices are good, & the sales prices can be awesome.

The older MB stores--the old one in Seabrook, Portsmouth, Plaistow (the Plaistow store seems out of the 1950's, but then so does Plaistow, hah).........those older, run-down ones aren't such a pleasure to shop in, but with all of the same stuff, & good-to-great prices.

The $4.69 cooked chickens are a bonus.....

PS--what Nonesuch said: "If you make it down to Burlington, check out the new Wegmans to see what a good grocery store looks like." Yes--It's pretty (bleeping) great.

Last edited by WoodyWW; 06-18-2017 at 11:36 AM..

Old 06-19-2017, 09:25 AM

524 posts, read 251,967 times
Prices can not stay the same forever. Basic economics and supply and demand dictate that. Some prices have risen since the store chain has opened of course but when inflation is factored in it is doubtful they have actually risen at all.

Nothing has really changed here except your perception. Competition is good for prices and this store chain undoubtedly sets the bar for keeping grocery prices low in their respective region and apparently keeps their employees busy. The key is to be savvy with your shopping habits and awareness. The value of what you are buying for its price is mostly subjective.

Old 06-24-2017, 08:17 AM

86 posts, read 84,178 times
I've seen a difference in MB in Claremont. Prices have gone up. They used to have a decent "reduced baked good section" where the wife would swoop in and grab up some goodies. Now they want 3 bucks for day old pastries or bread. My wife makes her own that are 100X better.

I also noticed they are more into quick foods you can grab and go. They redid the whole section near bakery/frozen food to include grab and go sandwiches and breads and so on.

I agree, their prices have gone up but so have all the other supermarkets. We often travel 1/2 hour to go to this store because the local choices are pretty boring/limited.

Old 06-26-2017, 07:25 AM

1,652 posts, read 2,549,273 times
I agree with the others, if they've gone up, everyone else has gone up as well. MB is still the cheaper alternative, especially if you aren't following the sales and coupons at the other stores.

Old 06-26-2017, 04:23 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,945,596 times
This loyal Market Basket shopper has noticed that prices have risen consistently for the past several years. Don't get me wrong--MB is still my go-to for many items BUT the 3-day sales at Shaws have had some excellent deals, and their beef prices are definitely competitive, considering that they offer only Prime or Choice (no Select). It's NOT a replacement for a good butcher shop, but their quality is considerably higher than MB. BUT!! I do like that I can grab a pot roast and have it ground right there. I NEVER purchase ground beef, as we prefer rare or medium rare burgers. I like knowing that whatever ground beef I buy came from one animal, and no fillers

I'm 'lucky' enough to live in a town that has Market Basket, Shaws and Hannafords (as well as an Aldi in the next town over) and can easily price shop. Until a bit later in the season, we still need to buy fresh produce at the market, and a few weeks back, MB prices for corn on the cob were more than double the Hannaford's price. So if you can price-shop, it's definitely worth the time

Checking out: I LOVE the fact that Market Basket does not and will not have self-checkouts. They employ a great number of part-time employees (students) and even in the slowest of days, there is NEVER a shortage of employees at registers. Yes, I do use the self-checkout option at Shaw's, because there never seems to be more than one register open when I am there, and that line is usually 4 or 5 deep. Yet they never seem to open a 2nd register, even though there always seems to be 6 or 7 people hanging around the front end...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire