Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 09:04 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,998,238 times

Advertisements

Iowa versus New Hampshire.

The obvious difference is that one is a caucus state while the other is a primary state.

What are the differences between voters?

Is it the impact of the religious right?

Free State Movement?

Yankees versus Southerners? Or just North versus South? Although Iowa is not necessarily a Southern state.

More Libertarians in New Hampshire versus Iowa?

Or something else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2016, 09:32 AM

9,889 posts, read 7,223,915 times
New Hampshire voters are more secular, more moderate, and more libertarian than Iowa voters.

There is little impact from the religious right.

Free state movement IMHO has very little impact - it's 20K people out a population of 1.3 million.

True registered Libertarians again will have very little impact. There may be people who claim to be Libertarians but they don't politically register as such. Aren't the Free Staters supposed to be Libertarians? There are 10 self proclaimed Free Staters in the NH Legislature yet all of them are registered either as R or D.

NH is a swing state. It's voters tend to be pragmatic and hopefully can see through the BS. A candidate like Kasich should appeal to NH voters.

Old 02-03-2016, 02:41 PM

571 posts, read 1,318,933 times
NH has a lot less people engaged in the farming industry. I know of no farmers involved in politics. We have some apple orchards but from what I see, that's about the size of it. All else is very small. Corn is not a political force up here.
Also, we get suspicious of people publicly talking about their faith. We just keep it to ourselves.

Old 02-03-2016, 03:52 PM

1,274 posts, read 2,383,973 times
There is no pandering to the evangelical vote here in NH about who has the best Judeo-Christian values and who is the most faithful. I find this refreshing, as I prefer my Jesus and my President to not be mixed together. It's amazing how the candidates change character to pander to each state's constituency. I think this is why Cruz narrowly won Iowa.

I believe Ted Cruz will do much worse in NH because of this NH tendency to be more secular. Trump will pummel Cruz - my prediction.

Old 02-04-2016, 04:26 AM

77 posts, read 124,924 times
Free State Project will eventually have 20,000 movers but at the moment, they just (in the last day) hit 20,000 signers (i.e. people that have stated their intent to move within 5 years of yesterday) - certainly there are early movers (a little less than 2000) and there has been some impacts already but with the candidates who are running, there is not a ton of excitement in the early mover community.

Old 02-04-2016, 09:53 AM

5,297 posts, read 7,635,920 times
I have been away from my computer for a few days but I was very curious to come over to CD and see if there was anything in the NH forum about the upcoming primary.

I have in-laws who have lived off and on in NH over the years and they are kind of a mixed bag as far as politics go. Some are "vote the party line" Republicans and some are pretty left leaning. It makes for some rather tense Thanksgiving dinners before the blood-letting begins.

As a southern registered democrat (notice the order of those words) who usually votes republican, I am torn with the repub. candidates this time around. I liked the initial Trump statement on Illegal immigration, building a wall and better trade deals, etc. His personal arrogance has taken a little toll on me though. Carson, Bush, Christie, Fiorina, Kasich, are either too establishment (same old, same old), not enough gov. experience (nice guy Carson) or associated with destructive policies (Fiorina) for me.

In my experience, Rubio could rate a whole paragraph on why I dislike, do not trust, in actuality, abhor Marco Rubio. He is a shill for the establishment, a "bought" man. If I voted for Marco, I would get more of the same as what I currently have, just packaged a little differently. I would vote for Bernie before I would vote for Rubio. Rubio's record in Florida and in the Senate speaks for itself. He is charming, well spoken, and totally out for Marco, I believe, as a lot of people in Florida believe. He reminds me very much of the Clinton's and their ruthless drive to rise out of mediocrity, acquire wealth and gain power.

I am left with Ted Cruz. I am not an evangelical or particularly religious but I am familiar with his religious background and it is conservative. That bothers me a little but not so much as some because I know many Southern Baptist moderates. I think he is a principled man and he does seem to have not wavered from his campaign promises. However, will he be another Carter ? I think Cruz is infinitely more intelligent than Carter but is that enough ? People have said he doesn't seem to have much of a sense of humor but I found Cruz humorous in a quiet way that was often somewhat self deprecating. I distrust anyone who doesn't have a sense of humor, especially for oneself.

I am terrified of making a mistake.

Just curious as to what staunch New Hampshirenites are thinking about the candidates. Then again, you may have said it all up above.

Old 02-04-2016, 11:29 AM

1,274 posts, read 2,383,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
I have been away from my computer for a few days but I was very curious to come over to CD and see if there was anything in the NH forum about the upcoming primary.

I have in-laws who have lived off and on in NH over the years and they are kind of a mixed bag as far as politics go. Some are "vote the party line" Republicans and some are pretty left leaning. It makes for some rather tense Thanksgiving dinners before the blood-letting begins.

As a southern registered democrat (notice the order of those words) who usually votes republican, I am torn with the repub. candidates this time around. I liked the initial Trump statement on Illegal immigration, building a wall and better trade deals, etc. His personal arrogance has taken a little toll on me though. Carson, Bush, Christie, Fiorina, Kasich, are either too establishment (same old, same old), not enough gov. experience (nice guy Carson) or associated with destructive policies (Fiorina) for me.

In my experience, Rubio could rate a whole paragraph on why I dislike, do not trust, in actuality, abhor Marco Rubio. He is a shill for the establishment, a "bought" man. If I voted for Marco, I would get more of the same as what I currently have, just packaged a little differently. I would vote for Bernie before I would vote for Rubio. Rubio's record in Florida and in the Senate speaks for itself. He is charming, well spoken, and totally out for Marco, I believe, as a lot of people in Florida believe. He reminds me very much of the Clinton's and their ruthless drive to rise out of mediocrity, acquire wealth and gain power.

I am left with Ted Cruz. I am not an evangelical or particularly religious but I am familiar with his religious background and it is conservative. That bothers me a little but not so much as some because I know many Southern Baptist moderates. I think he is a principled man and he does seem to have not wavered from his campaign promises. However, will he be another Carter ? I think Cruz is infinitely more intelligent than Carter but is that enough ? People have said he doesn't seem to have much of a sense of humor but I found Cruz humorous in a quiet way that was often somewhat self deprecating. I distrust anyone who doesn't have a sense of humor, especially for oneself.

I am terrified of making a mistake.

Just curious as to what staunch New Hampshirenites are thinking about the candidates. Then again, you may have said it all up above.
I don't think the people of NH would put with that "Voter Violation Notification" thing Cruz pulled in Iowa. That act tells me all I need to know about Cruz. My bet is he won't try it here in NH - he knows it was wrong.

Old 02-04-2016, 10:13 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,635,920 times
The Inside Story of MoveOn's Secret "Silver Bullet" to Deliver Victory for Obama | Mother Jones

...snipped....
On Wednesday, MoveOn unveiled a multimillion-dollar campaign to do just that. Between Tuesday and Election Day, the group will send 12 million "voter report cards" (PDF) designed by Oran to residents of presidential battleground states and other states with key Congressional races such as Connecticut and Massachusetts. The report cards grade recipients based on how often they've voted in the past, and—here's the kicker—the cards compare each individual's grade with the average grade of his or her neighbors. (Who you vote for is private information; how often you vote is public record.) "We've taken a social dynamic that gets people to turn out the lights, and we're using it to turn out the vote," says Justin Ruben, MoveOn's executive director.
......snipped....

In the interest of fairness...first done by a liberal organization it appears.

Old 02-05-2016, 09:10 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,676,571 times
Post Chicago Democrat 'Raiders' once made "Spanky the Clown" the Republican mayoral candidate

One weird trick which has worked for decades for machine democrats in Chicago, including Rahm and Barack:

If you are registered Undeclared, usually vote for one party, but don't like any your party's candidates, do what the Chicago machine does in their local primaries -- "cross over", pull a ballot from the other party and vote for the least electable of all their candidates.

Old 02-05-2016, 10:13 AM

9,889 posts, read 7,223,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
One weird trick which has worked for decades for machine democrats in Chicago, including Rahm and Barack:

If you are registered Undeclared, usually vote for one party, but don't like any your party's candidates, do what the Chicago machine does in their local primaries -- "cross over", pull a ballot from the other party and vote for the least electable of all their candidates.
That's been done all over by people from both sides. It doesn't really do anything IMHO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire