Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 08:38 AM

4,899 posts, read 3,554,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris410 View Post
people on here love to bash Manchester because they are mostly Native NH country folk and have never left the great state of NH to really know what a bad city is like. Additionally the NH news has nothing better to report then the crime that happens in the states largest city.

Manchester is a fine place, has plenty of nightlife for a city its size and has relatively low crime for a city of its size. Compared to cities like Worcester, Springfield, Hartford & Lawrence Manchester is a utopia.
don't forget Dorchster.

NH news is so boring - and honestly, that's a GOOD thing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2016, 09:56 AM

1,274 posts, read 2,383,134 times
Quote:
Compared to cities like Worcester, Springfield, Hartford & Lawrence Manchester is a utopia.
True, but that's a pretty low bar IMO!

Old 04-04-2016, 10:24 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,852,079 times
Why not Portsmouth NH? It is about the same distance from Boston as Manchester. It seems livelier than Manchester or Nashua and is on the water...

Old 04-04-2016, 11:11 AM

6,573 posts, read 6,740,252 times
Quote:
people on here love to bash Manchester because they are mostly Native NH country folk and have never left the great state of NH to really know what a bad city is like. Additionally the NH news has nothing better to report then the crime that happens in the states largest city.

Manchester is a fine place, has plenty of nightlife for a city its size and has relatively low crime for a city of its size. Compared to cities like Worcester, Springfield, Hartford & Lawrence Manchester is a utopia.
Not this nonsense, again. This is 2016, most everyone in the state has traveled. Worked out of state, whatever. Manchester has been on a downward trend for years.....it's nowhere near the safe, small "big-city" it used to be.

Old 04-04-2016, 11:14 AM

433 posts, read 1,012,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusnh View Post
Why not Portsmouth NH? It is about the same distance from Boston as Manchester. It seems livelier than Manchester or Nashua and is on the water...
That's where i was looking at origionally, but the jobs are harder to come by than in Manchester OR Portland and places are fewer and almost as expensive as Boston!! So that's when i started looking around the Manchester/Nashua area. I figured Manchester would be more lively than Portsmouth anyways, but i've always preferred to be close to the beach. it sounds like people feel Portland and Portsmouth are more lively than Manchester, even though Manchester is a bigger city. Is it because of all the tourists in the summer?

Old 04-04-2016, 11:55 AM

37 posts, read 50,310 times
Hmmm...I have mixed feelings about Manchester. I work there, and my kids go to a daycare there. I haven't had any issues, to be honest, and Manchester feels just as safe to me as anywhere else. But then again, I don't live there, and have been there at night only a few times, so my opinion of it may be skewed.

Old 04-04-2016, 11:56 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,672,673 times
Post Manchester has many commuters who drive home to the 'burbs promptly at 5PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
Not this nonsense, again. This is 2016, most everyone in the state has traveled. Worked out of state, whatever. Manchester has been on a downward trend for years.....it's nowhere near the safe, small "big-city" it used to be.
Compared to 20 years ago, sure, Manchester circa 2016 is relatively more dangerous than Manchester circa 1996. But looking at crime from 2015 compared to a similar-sized city in Massachusetts? No contest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^Eagle^ View Post
That's where i was looking at originally, but the jobs are harder to come by than in Manchester OR Portland and places are fewer and almost as expensive as Boston!! So that's when i started looking around the Manchester/Nashua area. I figured Manchester would be more lively than Portsmouth anyways, but i've always preferred to be close to the beach. it sounds like people feel Portland and Portsmouth are more lively than Manchester, even though Manchester is a bigger city. Is it because of all the tourists in the summer?
I think tourists are a factor in the perception of "liveliness", and it's a feedback loop with more interesting weekend events during tourist season. Additionally, I believe Portland and Portsmouth trend younger, with more residents age 25-35?

Old 04-04-2016, 12:57 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,620,293 times
Manchester gets picked on in no small part because it is an outlier as NH goes. NH only has 3 cities larger than 35k, and Manchester is (by far) the largest at 110k.

Most people who want a NH lifestyle don't want Manchester (or even Nashua) - they want space and all the things that make NH New Hampshire. Manchester is not particularly pretty (by NH standards), and is quite dense (by NH standards). Crime and poverty are high (by NH standards). The "best" schools are generally in the wealthier small towns, etc.

The two big cities often get picked on because they don't really fit in.

"I want to live in NH for all the great things NH is known for!" does truly merit a "Well, then Manchester probably isn't where you want to live," even if it's "where you want to work."

The worst parts of Manchester don't compare to the worst parts of Boston or Cleveland, and yet the best parts don't really compare either. A lot of the people who work in Manchester don't live there. Manchester mostly nets a shrug from me.

Not my first choice, but I wouldn't avoid it like the plague either. Not as hip as Portland, Maine, but certainly larger and more proximate to other cities. If/when you inevitably get married or don't want to live in the city, you'll move out to Pinardville, or if you have the money Bedford/Amherst/Derry/etc. like everyone else.

Old 04-04-2016, 01:26 PM

2,649 posts, read 3,544,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
Compared to 20 years ago, sure, Manchester circa 2016 is relatively more dangerous than Manchester circa 1996. But looking at crime from 2015 compared to a similar-sized city in Massachusetts? No contest.

That cab be said about every NH city and town just as the folks in Mount Vernon, does anyone think that they would believe such a horrific crime would have happened there 20 years ago, go to Bedford, Home invasion, violent rape and a family destroyed... I live in Bow now , I have lived in Allenstown and Derry too but most of my life was spent in Manchester. That means I know which sections to stay away from and which are fine..I will end with this though, growing up I used to roam the back alleys along Massabesic, Cedar, Spruce etc.. nope I won't be doing that nowadays.

Old 04-04-2016, 06:33 PM

81 posts, read 88,586 times
I was just there Friday night and it seemed just fine. I was a woman alone as well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire