Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2016, 07:17 PM

32 posts, read 67,125 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I have an 8 year old boy with ADHD and I may be starting a new job in Dover, NH within the next couple of months. Any advise on a good elementary school in that area would be appreciated. I am specifically looking for a school that has teachers who understand the special needs of my child, while not separating him into a special needs class. He is very bright and sociable, but he can have trouble focusing and can be fidgety.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2016, 10:07 PM

125 posts, read 149,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinperna View Post
Hi,

I have an 8 year old boy with ADHD and I may be starting a new job in Dover, NH within the next couple of months. Any advise on a good elementary school in that area would be appreciated. I am specifically looking for a school that has teachers who understand the special needs of my child, while not separating him into a special needs class. He is very bright and sociable, but he can have trouble focusing and can be fidgety.

Thanks.
My son has autism, full blown, not this "oh my son is a bit odd let me get him some treatment" autism that you see so much of today.

NH has amazing resources for the former. The latter however I have my doubts. Outside of Greenfield and Rochester I don't think services are great in the public schools. Atleast I haven't heard any glowing reviews in my years of research in NH. Though I'm sure there is a school district or two that may be able to provide what you are looking for if you continue to ask around.

Maybe someone on this board knows.I'm not trying to discourage you, it's just that the services NH does have that I know of are not for mild cases.

Old 06-15-2016, 05:32 PM

4,565 posts, read 10,658,413 times
Quote:
Any advise on a good elementary school in that area would be appreciated.
You will be told what school is your elementry school based upon your address. You dont choose.

Quote:
He is very bright and sociable, but he can have trouble focusing and can be fidgety.
Sounds like a normal kid to me. Sometimes if everyone stops treating him as "special" he will grow up to be normal guy.

Old 06-15-2016, 06:08 PM

1,274 posts, read 2,383,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
You will be told what school is your elementry school based upon your address. You dont choose.

Sounds like a normal kid to me. Sometimes if everyone stops treating him as "special" he will grow up to be normal guy.
Do you have any practical, real life experience in this area?

Old 06-15-2016, 06:32 PM

810 posts, read 852,184 times
do they not have any type of open enrollment in NH? Just curious. We have it here in OR but often it is a lottery system so you put your name in and hope for the best.
:-)

Old 06-16-2016, 07:29 AM

84 posts, read 100,005 times
Does he have an IEP? Is he currently getting services? If so, the school is required to follow the plan. My son has an IEP for high-functioning autism, the Portsmouth schools have been wonderful.

No open enrollment, at least not here on the seacoast.

Old 06-16-2016, 10:16 AM

1,274 posts, read 2,383,425 times
My son has an ADHD-like diagnosis, and once we got that it was easy to deal with the school. We had a Child Study Team meeting with key players and drafted up a 504 plan (not an IEP) to better help him succeed.

To address a previous poster, my son is a "normal" kid in many ways, but in the classroom there are certain skills that he struggles with that interfere with his ability to get things done in class. Instead of the "hands off" approach advocated by that poster, we have decided to do what we can to better his chances of success. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. Hopefully a little extra attention now will pay off in the future.

I love how people are quick to use their special "internet doctor diagnosis" skills on these boards...

Old 06-21-2016, 10:40 PM

32 posts, read 67,125 times
Thank you all for your input. Unfortunately, I didn't get the job I was looking into, but am still interested in moving to NH eventually. I have heard good things about Moharimet Elementary School in Madbury and Mast Way School in Lee.

Old 06-21-2016, 11:01 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,949,596 times
Both Madbury and Lee (along with Durham) are part of the Oyster River School District, one of the highest ranking and most sought-after in the state. Along with those great schools comes great taxes, just so you are aware...

The 2015 rates by town as follows:
Madbury: 27.60
Lee: 28.25
Durham:29.85

Quote:
Thank you all for your input. Unfortunately, I didn't get the job I was looking into, but am still interested in moving to NH eventually. I have heard good things about Moharimet Elementary School in Madbury and Mast Way School in Lee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire