Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2016, 07:07 PM

27 posts, read 23,945 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are considering moving to one of these two towns. We currently live in a small town in southern NH that we find a little too remote/secluded. We also have a 3 year old daughter.

We want to be close to the highway, shopping, entertainment, parks, playgrounds, etc.. We also want good schools and a safe place to our child to grow up. Either location would be close enough to our jobs. Our budget for this house goes up to $440K.

Which of these two towns would you recommend? What are the downsides to these towns? Which has the better school system?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2016, 10:51 PM

540 posts, read 589,946 times
Hop in the car and check them both out in person. At least you have that luxury living so close already. Take advantage!

Old 08-11-2016, 05:16 AM

We've been through both towns many times, I was just hoping for some more insider information from current or former residents. What are the downsides to each town that you may not hear or read about? What are the schools like?

Old 08-11-2016, 05:57 AM

1,370 posts, read 2,183,197 times
Three active members of this forum live in Londonderry, including ValerieC, GregW and me. I don't have time to write anything now, but these threads, although a few years old, should answer some of your questions:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-h...ndonderry.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-h...l#post27644403

http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-h...nderry-nh.html

Last edited by C2ShiningC; 08-11-2016 at 06:27 AM..

Old 08-11-2016, 07:39 PM

2,632 posts, read 4,053,535 times
They're both different towns. Generally people would pick a town based on which side of the (Merrimack) River their workplace is located. If you commute to MA and need access to Boston, Londonderry is right on I-93. If you work outside of Boston (i.e. Waltham area), Merrimack would be easier. It doesn't seem as if you have to worry about that, however.

For Londonderry, anything beyond supermarkets, a few stores and a cinema can be found in Manchester—a 15-20 minute drive. Of course you have The Manchester Airport in town/nearby. I can't speak of it having a typical park/playground. There is, however, the YMCA. Schools are very good.

For Merrimack you have a Cinema, your choice of pharmacies, Home Depot, a few smaller stores...and Shaws. Then you have The "Premium" Outlets, if you have $$ to spend. You could easily drive to Nashua and find everything else you may need. Merrimack has also has a YMCA; and a Park called Twin Bridges, with a playground called "Kids Cove." There's also an indoor playground called "Good Times" elsewhere in town, and a Bowling Alley. Merrimack, however has tolls. Schools are OK.

Old 08-12-2016, 03:48 PM

I generally prefer the Londonderry (eastern) side of the Merrimack River, and I would prefer not to deal with the Merrimack tolls. But the houses in Merrimack are more affordably priced, and most come with Natural Gas and public water. Londonderry has a playground on Sargent Road, although it's nothing great. Merrimack is closer to my work, while Londondery is closer to my wife's work.

Really, I think the most important factor is which town will be better for my daughter to grow up in and get a good public school education.

Old 08-17-2016, 03:00 PM

114 posts, read 123,896 times
The website niche.com ranks school systems by a number of factors and Londonderry is ranked ahead of Merrimack.

As you said Merrimack homes tend to have both town water and sometimes sewer while Londonderry residents tend to be more private water and septic.

When it comes down to apples for apples both of these towns are quite similar when it comes to number of homes on the market, however of those homes Merrimack does tend to be priced a little lower. The majority of the homes sold in Londonderry in the past 12 months are in the 300-400k range while Merrimack is the 200-300k range.

Nothing is stopping you from looking at both towns. You may find a house that really stands out in one that will help make the decision a lot easier! Good luck to you and your family!

Old 08-23-2016, 08:14 AM

Thanks for your feedack, it looks like we are moving to Londonderry. Definitely pricey, but we think the whole family will be very happy there over the next 20-30 years.

Old 08-23-2016, 08:48 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,953,232 times
Congratulations! I don't think that I have contributed to this thread as of yet, but as a Londonderry resident and parent of two LHS graduates, I can tell you that our decision to choose Londonderry as our home was never regretted.

As an 8-yr Friends of Music member, I highly recommend that your kids get involved with band, and continue through high school, if possible. The Londonderry Lancer Marching Band & Colorguard are a phenomenal group of kids, every year (huge thank you to Mr. Soucy and Mr. B!) They've traveled to the Tournament of Roses Parade 4x, marched in 2 presidential inaugural parades, traveled to Beijing, China in Olympic Year 2008, and so, so much more. I've been to countless Friday night football games to chaperone, assist in fundraising, whatever is needed to help support 300+ band members. The torch has been passed now to incoming band parents, but the memories last a lifetime...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustTryIt View Post
Thanks for your feedack, it looks like we are moving to Londonderry. Definitely pricey, but we think the whole family will be very happy there over the next 20-30 years.

Old 08-23-2016, 01:18 PM

Valerie, thanks. I have always read great things about Londonderry's band program (among other programs). My daughter only recently turned 3, so who knows what her interests will be once she gets to middle school and high school? We'll have her do whatever activities she enjoys doing.

We look forward to being a part of the community. We are already very familiar with Londonderry and love the location and feel of the town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire