Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2016, 10:27 AM

3 posts, read 3,386 times

Advertisements

Hello NH! My family and I visit your beautiful state (from CT) several times a year and have decided to buy a few acres. We've looked at land from Swanzey to Bethlehem to Freedom and everywhere in between. Our favorite area is probably Franconia though. A couple problems we keep running in to is the associations and the current use regulations.

We are looking for 5+ acres. Initially it would be for camping but I would build a small cabin on it next fall. So my question is, is there anywhere that has little to no regulations that we can buy and build without getting hammered in taxes or fees?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2016, 04:12 PM

I meant to ask also, is it possible to get a portion of the property taken out of current use while still leaving, say, 4 of 5 acres "unimproved"?

Old 08-24-2016, 07:03 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,949,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonka... View Post
I meant to ask also, is it possible to get a portion of the property taken out of current use while still leaving, say, 4 of 5 acres "unimproved"?
10 acres is the minimum amount of property for a Current Use designation. So your initial land purchase must be 10+ acres, and any improvements ( including septic, well, and any buildings) must be outside of the 10 acre parcel.

Old 08-24-2016, 07:33 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,993,716 times
Not sure what you mean "small cabin".

The state and towns have building codes. The there is the zoning board and the planning boards. The building inspector, water, septic and on and on.

Old 08-24-2016, 09:47 PM

@Valerie C
Thank you very much!

@Unit731
My apologies, I should've been more specific. By small I mean 16 x 20. I understand there are building inspectors and codes etc but I was wondering if it is only going to be occupied occasionally, off grid w/ a composting toilet (no need for water, septic, or electrical inspections) which town or area would be most friendly.

Old 08-25-2016, 04:31 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,993,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonka... View Post
By small I mean 16 x 20. I was wondering if it is only going to be occupied occasionally, off grid w/ a composting toilet (no need for water, septic, or electrical inspections) which town or area would be most friendly.
You can read up here:
www/small-cabin.com

After 9/11 the state and federal governments want to know where everyone lives at all times.
Enhanced 911 in New Hampshire mandated that all living structures have a street address.

Constructing a "living" structure basically means that all state energy codes must be followed and that the local building inspector will check all. If you decide to use propane for any use all propane installations are checked and all serial numbers of all propane appliances are recorded. And of course meet state standards. Then there is insurance. The insurance company may come out to view and they also may want to make sure living structure is up to codes. Of course, you could carry in your own propane and avoid a contract with a propane delivery company.

Adding a new outhouse may require that the tank be pumped. But do check if this applies.

I did meet one person who built a very nice cabin in the woods on his large plot of land. All done. Real nice. But then someone found out about it. Sent in the building inspector. This person had to tear down this nice new building as no permit had ever been obtained.

Grandfathered cabin.
This may be a better and easier option. Seek out a nice New Hampshire "shack". There are plenty in New Hampshire - just off the beaten path.
Sometime during or around the 1980's just about every town adopted building codes. Living structures built before this time are grandfathered in. But no new non-conforming buildings are allowed.
In the old days anyone could build just about anything - and call it home. Not now.

Old 08-25-2016, 06:41 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,874,458 times
Unit731 is right.....just look for a small cabin or hunting shack in a remote area and move right in with no hassles.
You can then be pretty much on your own and off the grid if you choose

Old 09-04-2016, 08:02 AM

1,459 posts, read 1,402,758 times
That's probably why we decided to stay in Georgia. Too many rules and regulations - especially on property you've already owned and suddenly they change the rules.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire